Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Using an intermediate language for data AND code?  (Read 2643 times)
shevegen
Community member

View Profile
« on: February 16, 2012, 07:49:44 PM »

Hi,

Right now one needs to know python in order to contribute in one way or the other.

The data is stored in yaml, but there is no real quest engine in place?

Or would someone who comes to PARPG be able to add a new quest to the game, like a plug-in,
without having to know python?

What if we would use an intermediate language that is both used to DESCRIBE something and
can also be used for simple GAME logic?

That game logic can be kept simple.

It can:

- query the game state
- respond to events
- allow grouping of code logic into chunks (methods or functions)

I think these are the main elements of it perhaps?

My idea is that perhaps a simpler language could be used as intermediary, and then this file is parsed and interpreted correctly.

That way, people could already contribute to the game, without having to know python.

Cleaning away the bureaucracy in PARPG to make our life easier.
Beliar
Community member

KarstenBock@gmx.net
View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2012, 09:50:58 AM »

Well, quests and dialogues are defined in yaml files. So, yes, you don't need python knowledge for these. Dialogues even have actions that are run when one selects a specific dialogue response.

What do you mean by "real quest engine", btw?

Wing IDE - http://wingide.com/wingide - Free for OS use
Q_x
Admin
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2012, 12:14:33 PM »

I think whole point of data-driven engines in our component-based approach is to put as much of the structure of the project into data files, as possible. YAML in our case.

So that by playing with data you can pretty much develop a game: adding/removing things from map, influence how items are crafted or how NPC behaves, add or remove a stat from the mechanics or change the levels that PC needs to "level up" a given ability.

I guess YAML is simple enough for non-coders, yet it will make cooperation - both in designers group and between designers and programmers - rather smooth and easy.

Whole point, as I understand it, is to put all the logic in python files, and all the data the logic is fed with - in text files. So that programmers will focus more, for example, on how entities communicate when one is trying to hit another while fighting (the thing you don't want to see, shevy), while designers will figure out what RPG mechanics will be applied in case of such event (I guess that's what you're interested in).
« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 12:20:48 PM by Q_x » Logged

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: