Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Tackling the next step: getting some playable.  (Read 4418 times)
mvBarracuda
Admin
Community member

View Profile Email
« on: February 24, 2009, 04:44:22 PM »

After some feedback by an interested programmer yesterday I got inspired and decided to go ahead and put a starting point for what should become PARPG into our Subversion repository.

Some notes about it:
* At the moment it's simply a copy of the FIFE techdemo Rio de hola. We can modify it step by step to turn it into a separate game. Basing it on Rio de hola is far easier than to start from scratch.
* Rio de hola features a boy who's trying to rescue an island from aggressive bees. While this has _nothing_ to do with PARPG setting, we can use it as a basis to implement dialogue, combat and other game mechanics. We can replace the maps and graphics with custom ones later as soon as the graphics department agreed on the basic guidelines. This way we can give the programmers something to get their hands dirty with while not pressuring the artists as we already got temporary art in place that is sufficent for engine evaluation.
* A detailed guide how to run PARPG on Linux and Win32 can be found at our wiki: http://wiki.parpg.net/Download

Please give it a try and let me know if you were able to get it running or if you encountered any issues that you couldn't resolve. I'll hang around in #parpg in case you want some instant IRC help.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2009, 03:30:43 PM by mvBarracuda » Logged
marcus
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2009, 05:24:36 PM »

I've checked out the Engine and the parpg dir onto my machine - I've not tried looking for an exe yet and I haven't compiled anything yet...I haven't downloaded any tools to do that at the moment. I'll look into it later if I need to compile any source code.
mvBarracuda
Admin
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2009, 05:38:15 PM »

Compiling is pretty easy with the Win32 compile SDK of FIFE. It will take some time for you to set things up for the first time (prolly about 30 minutes).

But once things are set up, it's just updating your local SVN checkout and you won't even need to recompile FIFE in the vast majority of the cases.
marcus
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2009, 05:40:53 PM »

Right oh. Well I'll figure it out after I've been to the pub - I always do.

Cheers for the heads up mv.
marcus
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2009, 07:35:14 PM »

will Microsoft Visual Studio Express be good enough to compile what is needed??
mvBarracuda
Admin
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2009, 07:58:24 PM »

Depends. For MSVC2005 you'll need to install the Windows platform SDK to build FIFE. For MSVC 2008, the platform SDK is already part of the MSVC package so no need to install it.

As you might not need to touch the C++ engine code anyway, I suggest to rather use mingw for compiling as it's easier.
marcus
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2009, 08:04:13 PM »

yeah, I'm just trying to get my head around why I need to compile the engine in the first place. Will EXE's not get checked in due to size issues?

I'll install MinGW and give that a crack, I;m sitting in the IRC channel as well if you feel the urge to slap me.
mvBarracuda
Admin
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2009, 08:17:42 PM »

You don't need to install mingw, just follow the instructions outlined at the wiki.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: