Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Since we are moving to component-based structure...  (Read 2150 times)
Q_x
Admin
Community member

View Profile
« on: June 23, 2011, 07:47:41 AM »

I'm just wondering (in the first place).
There has been some valuable inspiration on ADOM blog (http://www.adom.de/blog/2011/06/13/while-i-am-reacquainting-myself-with-jade/ ) and that was food for my thoughts here.
I think some rather unobvious things could greatly simplify development later - that is keeping, for example, supporting patterns of attack for each weapon, or making body structure that can be changed from one NPC to another - this can also greatly help with armor.

To give you an example - "ordinary" weapon in many RPGs has only range and firepower, and eventually reload time as it's parameters (apart from weight, durability and so on).
We are trying to make a game where player will have to think a lot (I hope), so it might be reasonable to empower designers with a way of describing people and things with something more elastic, than just a set of attributes like
Code:
isThrowable, worksOnDistance, hasEdge, hasSharpPoint
What I envision like this, in case of weapons:

Crossbow
Code:
Attack pattern
Check quiver (this may take quiver quality as an argument, or agility)
Take bolt
Pull string
Place bolt
Aim and shoot

and for a six-shooter:
Code:
Check belt
Take bullets - 6 or all if less
Load gun
Aim and shoot x 6

and with spear this is:
Code:
Aim
Throw
or
Stab
or
Swing

And with people I'm thinking about body "scheme" that can be modified easily, so basically what Tomas described allready, just with armor. (I still think it may be deadly to be hit in a backpack and having water bottle or pot pierced). This could help when hunting animals, using improvised gear or just losing a limb.

just BTW, I'll be quite busy from today until Sunday, overhauling my place.

Technomage
Admin
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2011, 09:59:49 PM »

Good find, that was quite an interesting read. That does seem to capture the core of what component-based design is and how designers use it.

I definitely like the idea of generic body and weapon components. We could implement a VATS-like system for turn-based combat, which would have the benefit of making combat more strategic.

The weapon and generic  design remind me strongly of Dwarf Fortress,  which uses a very similar (though much more complex) system. DF its one of the most innovative games in this area and we'd do well to try an emulate it. Unfortunately DF is closed source, but Toady likes to document and explain everything and I think most of the creature components are scripted in plain-text. I will have to take a look.

"There are more atoms in the period at the end of this sentence than you can count in a lifetime." Science is awesome.

rowanthepreacher
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2011, 11:37:56 AM »

Almost everything within the world is plain text. Creatures, body parts, weapons, all that good stuff. I'm an experienced DF modder, so if you'd like to know how anything works, you can ask me (yay! I'm useful, maybe).

Testiculos habet et bene pendentes.
zenbitz
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2011, 07:40:31 PM »

Actually this is very similar, conceptually, to my "generic task templates" for skills/etc.

We are not denying them an ending...
We are denying them a DISNEY ending - Icelus
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: