Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Creative Designer - loved Fallout.  (Read 4089 times)
norchron
Community member

View Profile Email
« on: June 15, 2011, 05:13:53 AM »

Howdy humans.
I was a big fan of the Fallout series, and its good to see more post apocalyptic games being produced. I played many of the games that used the Infinity engine, Icewind Dale 2 being my favorite. If you combine the two, I think you have the general setting for your game Smiley

I've worked on development, RPG systems (character leveling, combat values), quest writing, item creation, and just about every major design area a game has. RPG's are my favorite class of games, and I'd like to contribute to this one.

Just taking a look at the demo, I wasn't able to get a sense of direction, theme, or background. What work has been done on the plot, and the driving theme behind the game?

I'd love to learn more about where this project is coming from, and seeing if I could join your team.

My skype is murkevar
-WolF
Technomage
Admin
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2011, 05:46:42 AM »

Hey norchron,

Welcome to PARPG! We're always glad to have new blood in the project Grin.

The Infinity engine is definitely the kind of style we're going for, so good to hear that you've had experience with it. Although we're drawing heavily on Fallout for inspiration we tend to be a bit more nhilistic and grim than Fallout was. Realism is huge theme, i.e. no mutants or plasma guns.

The techdemo is pretty minimal, and was mostly a proof-of-concept. Now we're focusing on developing the core framework and toolset so that we can make some playable content. Our backstory is still being worked out, but the crux of it is this:
  • Setting is Scandinavia and Northern Europe present time in an alternate reality where the Cold War escalated to global nuclear war which wipes out 90%+ of the world's population;
  • The nuclear winter has blanked most of Northern Europe in glaciers and ever-worsening winter snow storms which make survival very difficult and tends to isolate the few population centers left;
  • Ecological and environmental changes due to the nuclear fallout and the Superpower war engines' pollution threaten to create a snowball earth unless the player can find a way to stop it (and there might NOT be a way to stop it).

That's a general overview, but believe me there is a LOT more detail on our wiki. See in particular the writing department wiki (http://wiki.parpg.net/Department:Writing) and the game design department wiki (http://wiki.parpg.net/Department:Game_design). Don't feel like you have to read everything there Smiley.

Do drop by our IRC channel and say hello (http://wiki.parpg.net/IRC), as IRC is pretty much our primary means of communication. Most of us tend to avoid using Skype, unfortunately.

Oh and BTW: are you responding to our recent GDNet advertisement? Just curious.

"There are more atoms in the period at the end of this sentence than you can count in a lifetime." Science is awesome.

Q_x
Admin
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2011, 11:31:14 AM »

Hi!

I'm glad you're with us Smiley

While being on IRC, try to nag our creative folks.
Else - you may try your luch and browse our wiki - there is plenty of stuff there that will make you immersed in no time.

Also, it may be worthwhile to attend one of our meetings, there is one (almost) every Sunday.

Cheers,
Luke

rowanthepreacher
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2011, 03:21:06 PM »

Hello. I'm Rowan, and I'll be your Archnemesis. I'm on skype, so... that was me sending the request.

I'd like to chat with you some time and see how we get on. I'm not Head anything, but I -am- very opinionated Smiley

Testiculos habet et bene pendentes.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: