Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Guy with lot of ideas and no job position :)  (Read 4674 times)
wmbuRn
Community member

View Profile Email
« on: April 28, 2011, 11:49:12 AM »

Hi everybody.
Info:
Name: Stevan Kostic
Ocupation: College x2

Basic info is displayed Smiley.
I was looking around for linux games, and i stumbled upon this great game, and i wanted to be part of the team. Am studying programming as c++ programer now java programer [college have changed Dean and he changed the whole college, reason: unknown.] My second college is Philosophy, people asked my why 2 totaly different colleges, answer is quite simple. As every utopian [utopian as ideal city, eg Plato- The state, Thomas More - Utopia] i tend to have as much colleges as possible. The only way to keep people listening Smiley There are also different explanations and reasons why different colleges..

I played a lot of rpg games.love playing thoose games and rpgs have more thinking how to do one simple thing on 10 different ways, differs from shooting games, like walk shoot, walk shoot... which after 10 minutes becomes boring.
Anyway i have lots of ideas for Gui, menus, icons etc. Am not familiar with guichan will took me some time to learn it, until i learn it i can do some drawing on papper [or paint] as menu should looks like, HUD, bar etc. In next few weeks i can send you first image as my seeing how the menu should look like. And if you like my work ill be gladly part of this team. Smiley
I have worked before on online browser game > skate game, which had over 1.000 active players. The team fell apart, game has not been updated awhile, and people simply stoped playing it. If somebody want to check the game i can upload it on some free server, but the game is in alpha state, looks bad and there is a lot of bugs. So my next aim is to work with people on rpg games, make friends and having fun [in fun is also included learning] Smiley

Sorry for my bad english havent used in a while Smiley
« Last Edit: April 28, 2011, 12:13:36 PM by wmbuRn » Logged
mvBarracuda
Admin
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2011, 04:28:09 PM »

Heya wmbuRn :-)

Welcome on the forums. If you consider to contribute to the project as a programmer, getting the latest SVN version of PARPG is a good starting point: (depending on the OS you use)
http://wiki.parpg.net/Install_SVN_trunk_on_Linux
http://wiki.parpg.net/Install_SVN_trunk_on_Mac_OS_X
http://wiki.parpg.net/Install_SVN_trunk_on_Windows

wmbuRn
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2011, 04:57:10 PM »

Hi whille w8ting for an answer i had some fun with paint and make the vision of gui in game, so this is basic hud displaying:

- your avatar
- your armor
- water
- food
- temp
- ammo
- weapon image
- status bar
- and some info.

Am not good with paint and other programs, but it look much better on papper. Hope you laught as i did while painting it Smiley

http://img857.imageshack.us/i/gamee.jpg/

Anyway my vision how this should looks like in game:

1. Black outline, transparent black colour with white numbers and picture of a gun/weapon curently using
2. Black outline, transparent black colour with white numbers, but if temp[water, food] gets low or high should be red [danger].
Hp bar should be around avatar, and when taking dmg should decrease its value
3. minimap is totaly explained on picture Smiley
4. inventory button skills etc, totaly explained on picture Smiley
mvBarracuda
Admin
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2011, 05:46:00 PM »

Have you checked out the existing GUI proposals at the wiki and at the forums? I'm not familiar with all the details, Q_x and qubodup should be able to fill you in. You should rather start a new thread in right subboard of the forums (graphics department) to ensure that the graphics artists actually see your proposal. It can be easily overlooked in this thread.

Q_x
Admin
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2011, 06:14:27 PM »

Hi!
Nice to meet you wmbuRn Smiley

As for the GUI concept - we had pretty big brainstorm while ago.
As barra wrote - please take a look at what we have, and eventually post sketches in graphics subforum.
Main concept is we are making retro-styled, pretty much nostalgic kind of game.
I think we have few good, but very specific questions (like if we will be using guichan) still unanswered, for example some decisions are depending on what coders will be able to squeeze out of choosen libraries.
As for choices when representation is done - like minimap, weapon and status - mechanics are more or less in place, we pretty much know what we want to be visible and where. But it will all be discussed, set in stone and later designed and done (maps are being discussed currently), most probably during a sprint devoted to HUD. So that all the people - game designers, mechanic experts, GUI designers writers and graphic designers will meet, exchange ideas until all will be OK with all the detais of planned implementation.
Your sketch is completely valid input to the yet-to-come HUD brainstorm. I like status icon ideas a lot, I think we planned to display the text in the console, but seeing how well icons can work, I'm in doubt. Smiley

Technomage
Admin
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2011, 07:35:53 PM »

Hi Stevan,

Welcome to PARPG! We could always use some more unemployed contributors Smiley If you're interested in working on the GUI you should definitely look at the existing proposals on the forums and wiki (http://wiki.parpg.net/) and talk with Q_x and qubodup who have worked extensively on the GUI. In particular, check out the graphics department wiki and the wiki articles on agile development. Our workflow is fairly complex and we're currently scrambling to organize it all, so don't be dismayed if you find it difficult to get your foot in the door so to speak. Things should die down in a month or two once we've finished the next sprint.

One important caveat: we're currently planning to replace the GuiChan library with another 3rd party library (probably CEGUI, but that's up for discussion). So I wouldn't invest much time in learning GuiChan right now.

Oh, and do hop on IRC (http://wiki.parpg.net/IRC) when you get the chance and come chat with us. We don't bite Smiley

"There are more atoms in the period at the end of this sentence than you can count in a lifetime." Science is awesome.

wmbuRn
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2011, 09:18:07 AM »

Oh i didnt know there were other people for GUI. This is even better 3 brains are more productive than one Smiley I will start spamming Q_x and qubodup to fill me in Smiley
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: