Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Starting the design process  (Read 3540 times)
icelus
« on: March 08, 2009, 10:40:52 PM »

I posted some initial thoughts on game code design here:

http://wiki.parpg.net/index.php?title=Proposal:Code_Structure

I'd be interested in any thoughts you have.
tie
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2009, 08:10:06 PM »

Nice job! I have a question tho - where do we fit Buildings and Building elements such as doors and windows?
icelus
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2009, 08:20:15 PM »

I was thinking there'd be potentially two kinds of building.

Type I is fake, it's just an item on the screen that when you enter it, you move to a new map. So it's just an item big enough to hold a person (like a vehicle), plus logic to move you to another map.

Type II is real, it's a set of walls on a map. I figured the "blocks wind" "blocks rain" type properties would handle sections of wall that were solid, sections with doors, sections with windows. Obviously _those_ sections are items, some with special code, like doors and windows (both can break and can open).

What do yo think?
tie
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2009, 09:01:49 PM »

I like Type II - sounds logical.

As for Type I - do we really need it? If a building is big enough to constitute it's own map, I'd rather do it with some Type I building, which is (partially) covered with zone exit tiles. I think it is better than trying to maintain the illusion that these two different types of objects are actually the same type.

Hopefully, there will be little (if any) Type I situations - I really hate loading screens when going in/out of buildings.
Lamoot
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2009, 09:58:56 PM »

The main characteristic of Type 1 is in my opinion that it's a separate map. Exit zone and object entrances are really just 2 different approaches of saying: "here you go to some place else". Exit zones would be used for natural borders of the maps, while object entraces for more specialized stuff, where the entrance is a relatively small "hole" in the map, like hatches, stairways, blast doors etc. This does not prevent using exit zones as described by tie.

Type 2 is wall objects with doors and windows. Small buildings mustn't be separate maps, otherwise you break combat continuity, by stepping into these, effectively avoiding combat. (unless we'll have a way for NPCs to follow you to another map, like in Oblivion for example)
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: