Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Poll
Question: Should there be regular developer meetings? If so, how often should they be held?
Yes, Monthly - 0 (0%)
Yes, Every Two Weeks - 3 (50%)
Yes, Once a Week - 3 (50%)
Yes, Other (please specify) - 0 (0%)
No - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 6

Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Regular Developer Meetings  (Read 5021 times)
Technomage
Admin
Community member

View Profile
« on: April 12, 2011, 04:38:35 PM »

Zenbitz and Q_x expressed some support for regular developer meetings, and I think that these meetings could be very useful to keep the project going. I wanted to get some feedback from everyone about whether you support the idea of regular developer meetings and how often you think we should meet, if at all. If the results show support for these meetings I'll post up a Doodle poll to select a time that everyone can attend.

Edit: Just to clarify, these developer meetings would be separate from sprint meetings and are meant primarily for discussing general project management and infrastructure issues. During sprints, these developer meetings would occur in addition to the weekly sprint meetings, so that might affect your vote on how often these developer meetings should be held.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2011, 09:05:07 PM by Technomage » Logged

"There are more atoms in the period at the end of this sentence than you can count in a lifetime." Science is awesome.

qubodup
Admin
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2011, 07:24:42 PM »

I think there should be sprints.
rowanthepreacher
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2011, 02:38:59 AM »

Hehehe. I'm in favour of Qubodup's suggestion, but I understand that there's still some support for waiting until Barra gets back.

Testiculos habet et bene pendentes.
Q_x
Admin
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2011, 07:30:55 AM »

Sprints are one thing, regular meetings are the other. Now - we can have both Smiley Twice a month big meeting, as proposed elsewhere, is OK for you guys? And we should maybe start new sprint ASAP...

zenbitz
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2011, 11:19:23 PM »

I think we can schedule 1/week + 1 sprint meeting/week (or 2?) but then feel free to cancel them if no one has anything to say.
You don't want to be in a situation where you have to wait 10+ days to talk to everyone because the official meeting is a long way off...

We are not denying them an ending...
We are denying them a DISNEY ending - Icelus
aspidites
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2011, 03:44:40 AM »

Trying to reply for f'ing ever.

Anyways, twice-weekly scrum meeting plus a weekly developer meeting seems a bit like overkill, which is why I voted for a bi-weekly developer meeting, though i'd much prefer a weekly developer meeting with a reduction of the frequency in which we had the scrum meetings.
Technomage
Admin
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2011, 04:35:45 AM »

Zenbitz and aspidites make a good point: weekly meetings are always a good thing, if everyone thinks we can meet that often reliably. The objection to weekly meetings seem to be with regard to sprints - two weekly sprint meetings AND a weekly developer meeting seem like overkill. Several people on IRC have suggested merging the developer meeting with one of the sprint meetings in this case, perhaps the first meeting of the week. I think that this solution is definitely manageable, and if there are no objections I'll go ahead and start planning weekly developer meetings.

How long do you think the developer meetings should last? This will of course depend upon the content of the meeting, but we should set an upper limit. If we are going to meet on a weekly basis, then I suggest a maximum of 45 minutes. Thoughts?

"There are more atoms in the period at the end of this sentence than you can count in a lifetime." Science is awesome.

Q_x
Admin
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2011, 07:28:19 AM »

I'd gladly support any solution that will make people meet once or twice a week, but not three times - that is for scrum plus regular meetings together. One of the votes in "every other week" is mine, so you can treat it as loose one as long as this are two meetings weekly, not three.

As for the time span - I'm against tight timeboxing. Less stuff and the meeting can go under 5 minutes (roll call and nothing else), more stuff and devs will chat for an hour or two regardless of the limit.

What I'm trying to say is pretty obvious:
Each meeting should be planned at least a day ahead
List of topics should be gathered somewhere (forums? wiki page?)
Discussions that are involving a single department or fewer people should be moved towards the end of the timebox, so that uninvolved person are not mandatory to participate

Very last thing: I don't quite get what topics could be tackled through the meeting and are unsuitable to be worked on on our forums, isn't there too much redundancy and diversity?

Technomage
Admin
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2011, 07:23:53 PM »

We should definitely discuss the form and content of the meetings, but the basic idea was to simply have a time slot where everyone know that everyone else would be available in real time. If weekly meetings turn out to be too much, we can always scale back to bi-weekly meetings.

What I'm trying to say is pretty obvious:
Each meeting should be planned at least a day ahead
List of topics should be gathered somewhere (forums? wiki page?)
Discussions that are involving a single department or fewer people should be moved towards the end of the timebox, so that uninvolved person are not mandatory to participate

I like those ideas. We could post the meeting agendas a week ahead of time on the wiki and let any developer add items as necessary, or alternatively dedicate the last 10-15 minutes of each meeting to coming up with agenda items for the next meeting.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: