Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: The Aland Swamps  (Read 3845 times)
rowanthepreacher
Community member

View Profile Email
« on: April 04, 2011, 01:47:09 AM »

I've been doing a bit of research in my eternal task of pulling my weight, so, after struggling to find some more insects that could be scary, I moved on.

I studied a bit about the Gulf of Bothnia, when I stumbled upon something rather interesting. At the top, it's nearly fresh water, while at the bottom, it mixes with the rest of the Baltic and becomes quite brackish.

Enter the Aland Islands. These islands, of which there are over 6,500, are only occasionally frozen over in the modern day, making the perfect place for a swamp in the Post Apocalyptic future.

Here's some further explanation:
As the first nuclear winter starts up, ice creeps down from the north of the Gulf, as it does every year. The Gulf stream breathes its last, stilling the waters of Europe. The brackish water of the Gulf of Bothnia suddenly is just flowing into dead water, rather than the swift, flowing ocean it used to lead to. The water stagnates and the water that flows in stays and settles.
One year, the water is so salty that even the ice can gain little purchase amid the skerries. What little plant life remains finds a home in the Aland Swamps, as they have begun to be known. The rocks and islands that have served to provide shelter to all forms of flora and fauna also prevent ships from sailing up any further, making it a perfect crossing point into Eastern Europe, for anyone foolhardy enough to brave the disease and hypothermia.
What's worse, the Aland Swamps are said to be home to those that populated the main island before the war, both man and animal.

So, that's my latest idea. I did a fair bit of research to ensure that I wasn't talking nonsense, but the entire thing matches up with what is known of the region and the effects that a stilled Gulf Stream could potentially have. The Bothnian Gulf doesn't benefit much from the heat of the Gulf Stream, but it does serve to carry away some of the salt found there. So, while no Gulf Stream might make the place less icy, it does nothing to stop the cold, which probably makes it seem less dangerous and allows hardy marsh plants to grow all year round. What's more, it goes right up to the Archipelago Sea, which has small bridges and pathways connecting them, so it'd make a lot of sense for a good location. I'll write up a faction as well in a bit..

EDIT: Heh. I typed "pot apocalyptic". Hehehehe.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 05:04:40 PM by rowanthepreacher » Logged

Testiculos habet et bene pendentes.
BobBobson
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2011, 04:46:50 PM »

I won't even pretend to know whether or not it's 'realistic', but in story terms an unfrozen delta would be a nice change of location. A few years back, I tried to come up with a story that had a primitive tribe living almost semi-aquatically, fitting their sleeping patterns to the rise and fall of the tides. Obviously with the chill of the water, that wouldn't be appropriate here, but still - it's a very evocative setting.
zenbitz
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2011, 11:17:33 PM »

It's strange.  I feel somewhat compelled to fact check this... but eh, seems OK.    How are you going to prevent the player from just moving in...

We are not denying them an ending...
We are denying them a DISNEY ending - Icelus
rowanthepreacher
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2011, 11:46:21 PM »

Zen, I dare you. You'll find nothing inaccurate in my research.

What do mean "moving in"?

zenbitz
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2011, 06:33:47 PM »

well, it's obviously one of the "nice places to live"... and one of our motivators is that the player has to flee the extreme cold of the north...  Note that it wasn't questioning the overall idea - just that you have to be thinking about how to push/pull the player where we want him or her to go.

We are not denying them an ending...
We are denying them a DISNEY ending - Icelus
rowanthepreacher
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2011, 09:35:29 PM »

Ahhh.

Well, it's only nice to live in if you're okay with the constant disease and chances of hyperthermia and drowning. In addition, we could simply make it too hostile to settle, perhaps involving some sort of naval raid  from the south? Alternatively, we could simply have it slowly freezing over like the rest of the north, but with the Aland swamps lagging behind. We could make it clear that it WILL be frozen over like everywhere else, so it's not safe to stay.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: