Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Progress on Task 297 (Design UI for Pre-game Character Creation Screen)  (Read 5061 times)
qubodup
Admin
Community member

View Profile Email
« on: February 07, 2011, 01:30:22 AM »

I assigned myself to #297 and started working.

Progress:
I created a character creation mockup based on Wiki: Character generation and stats and Wiki: Skill tree system

download .xcf.7z here

Impediments:
1. I think changes might occur in the character generation and skill tree system is not set in stone. This makes me uncertain, because I might be wasting work.
2. I'm not sure whether I should or not submit this progress to svn or wait for further discussion
3. I'm not sure where to discuss this design (besides IRC). Should I use this thread? This forum? Or the graphics forum?

Plan:
I want to discuss this design, hear suggestions and improve it, then discuss with Q_x the creation of graphics (ticket 303) for implementing the character creation screen.
Q_x
Admin
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2011, 09:45:15 AM »

Well, most of the graphic stuff sits in place already.
I think that we should wait for implementation of scalable notebook first (no matter if this is for inventory, or for stats, or just like so), or clear statement that it will not be implemented if its too hard with pychan or resource-heavy. Just to know what we are standing on in terms of stretching.
I like the mockups a lot. I'd like to do all the "sticking out" things (so like tabs with "Secondary Stats" and "Skills" and bottom set of buttons) as a paper pieces sticking out from notebook.
Also - all I can do is making few extra paper pieces and scribbling on it (or maybe better would be not scribbling, just use ordinary letters provided in font to ease translation later? or pictograms/icons?)

qubodup
Admin
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2011, 10:31:27 AM »

I think that we should wait for implementation of scalable notebook first
Is "scalable notebook" part of the sprint aim? I took a quick look and didn't see any tickets.

I'd like to do all the "sticking out" things (so like tabs with "Secondary Stats" and "Skills" and bottom set of buttons) as a paper pieces sticking out from notebook.
That'd be great! Please try to make the result fit a 800x600 resolution if possible.

Also - all I can do is making few extra paper pieces and scribbling on it (or maybe better would be not scribbling, just use ordinary letters provided in font to ease translation later? or pictograms/icons?)
Not sure what you mean. Rotated text? I would much prefer bookmarks at the top with left-to-right letters for easier reading and translation.
Q_x
Admin
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2011, 11:19:42 AM »

As I wrote - all left to do in both cases (scalable/fixed size) are the paper pieces and some scribbling on it (or not). So graphics is not the case. But it changes a lot in terms of coding. Technomage before the meeting showed me a nice looking inventory GUI prototype on fixed size notebook. But... we are working on char stats this sprint, and there is no fixed size notebook worded anywhere either.  So apart from any discussions around UI design, maybe we could ask Technomage what he thinks about the problem and let him decide if scalability can be sorted out (at least answered if will be or will not be implemented) during that sprint? Its not that the notebook has to be displayed, we can just assume it will be there at some distant future if it is possible/reasonable thing.

I wanted the tabs not to stick out more than just few px outside the cover - I even left some transparent space around the cover in scalable notebook frame. Even when we are targeting higher resolutions, fixed size still fits into 800x600 (and scalable variant is scalable down to something like 300x400 pix).

Technomage
Admin
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2011, 07:17:08 PM »

The fixed-size notebook design is already pretty much done, and I say we stick with that for now. While it should be easy in theory to change the design to use the scalable graphics, I've found that PyChan has a lot of intricacies that makes even the simplest task a monumental undertaking. I worry that trying to implement the scalable notebook now would just end up being a time sink.

"There are more atoms in the period at the end of this sentence than you can count in a lifetime." Science is awesome.

rowanthepreacher
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2011, 09:20:03 PM »

In the case that you end up using all of this "test" stuff later on, it's could be much less efficient if you have to redo everything that's already been done, plus scaling.

Although, it has been pointed out that even if it does turn out that way, putting the work off until later will allow you to focus on the other work at hand.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2011, 11:27:32 PM by rowanthepreacher » Logged

Testiculos habet et bene pendentes.
Q_x
Admin
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2011, 11:54:47 AM »

Rowan, re-doing things (iterative development) is really completely valid and working workflow for programming tasks. Do little, learn, draw conclusions, look what is needed, plan just few steps ahead, spot bugs, redo. There is more value in small piece of code that is finished than in big one unfinished that made coder demotivated. And workable but not scalable notebook now is better than scallable in May.
We are not making efficient development, but agile, and approaching GUI is a real life example of how things should work when three or four depts have to work tightly.

I will make only horizontal tabs (pieces of paper sticking out), I think we should abandon vertical stuff completely after what qubodup has written.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2011, 12:03:54 PM by Q_x » Logged

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: