Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Primary Stats - speak now or...  (Read 3916 times)
zenbitz
Community member

View Profile
« on: February 06, 2011, 06:56:10 PM »

OK, my take on stats is here: http://wiki.parpg.net/Character_generation_and_stats
As you should already know.

Current sprint revolves around stats and skills and their dependencies.   Secondary stats and skills will be more flexible so I would defer discussion on those, but it's going to be ugly  if we want to change the 8 primary stats.

So, make your arguments now.    Keep in mind, I don't really think that it matters a whole hell of a lot if we have 6 or 8 or 10.

Part of the sprint project will be defining a (sub) set of skills and secondary stats, so if it looks like one of the primary stats is not really "used" then it might be merged with another one.

We are not denying them an ending...
We are denying them a DISNEY ending - Icelus
rowanthepreacher
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2011, 07:40:15 PM »

Ok.

Instinct instead of perception and reflexes. Things like reflexes tend to be good for one or two things, and grossly powerful to make up for it. As a result, (being that it's usually good for combat) it ends up being a "must have" stat, while things like perception get dumped because there's always another way to get round things that require you to see really really well. By mixing the two, we lower the total value of the reflex stat and bring it in line with all other stats, while increasing the value of a traditional cRPG dump stat.

Charisma and willpower should also be merged to create Ego. Both stem from the same mental strength and reserves. Merely having a firm grasp of your mental strength gives people an edge over others, because people instinctively respect strength and assuredness. Again, willpower tends to be an even bigger dumpstat than perception in cRPGs, while Charisma (loot prices, buying power, party persuasion and associated "talk it out" xp bonuses) has shot from being PnP rpg dumpstat to being cRPG superpower.

Testiculos habet et bene pendentes.
zenbitz
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2011, 11:29:59 PM »

actually you have it exactly backwards. 

"dex" is generally the required combat stat in anything with missile weapons.
By splitting "dex" into reflexes & coordination & perception (for "aim") then you can afford to dump none of them.

Reflexes is only "super" important for melee combat - and there is is balanced by strength (as well as fitness and willpower which determine how much abuse you can take).    And being good a melee combat in parpg... is likely to get you full of holes.

As for willpower & charisma - I don't see any compelling game balance reason to combine them.   I think that it's quite reasonable to have a character that has a strong will but is not a people person, and vice-versa.   Having both high is a powerful leader type... but something else  (two something elses) have to suffer.

Part of the exercise of this sprint is some rough cut of character designs balance.

qubodup
Admin
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2011, 12:53:42 AM »

I would prefer primary stat checks to replace some secondary stat checks. for example sprinting/running could be seen as 'fitness' and jumping as 'coordination'.

Heat/Cold resistance should be one thing, hunger/thirst also, unless they become central aspects of the game. Visual/Hearing/Smelling acuity could be removed and Perception used instead..

Realism is not as important as the player having a good understanding and overview of their character.

I'm in luck, as zenbitz tells me on IRC that the list of sec stats will be probably dramatically reduced.
zenbitz
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2011, 04:55:11 AM »

I have made a first cut of 2ndary stats on this page now.   

I agree that the sprint/long distance running speeds are probably unnecessarily detailed.  But we still need a "mechanic formual" to turn the fitness stat into meters (squares) per second ("turn").

I am also thinking - in case it's not clear from the hacky editing - of not bothering to separate "healing rate" and "health" for different characters.   That is to say, those with high damage/stress/fatigue resistance will also have faster rates.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: