Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: Discussion - GUI "feel" and design  (Read 20929 times)
Gaspard
Community member

The Blackest Heart

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2009, 10:01:26 PM »

I tried fixing the contrast, but I guess I'm just exhausted from today's schoolwork. I got a new painting teacher, and she is absolutely crazy when it comes to schedules and work quantity.
eleazzaar
Community member

attempting lucidity

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2009, 01:54:05 AM »

/moved down a step/
OK, I guess the only way to continue with this topic in a reasonable fashion would be to flesh out the exact content of the various interfaces.

Very true.  Well, maybe we won't need to know the exact content, but we need to know most of it, and that's not possible at this time.

For instance a single PC GUI would probably be very different from one that has a well implemented party.

But we can talk about what works and what doesn't in other GUIs.

that's why the base elements of a GUI should be for example vector-based.

Sounds good in theory, but it doesn't seem to work out in most cases.  Pretty much every GUI is made out of bit-maps bits.  Don't ask me why, i'm sure it's complex.

The contrast is a teensy bit low.

That's really not something to worry about at this stage.  We need the big picture first.

chewie
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2009, 01:19:52 PM »

that's why the base elements of a GUI should be for example vector-based.

Sounds good in theory, but it doesn't seem to work out in most cases.  Pretty much every GUI is made out of bit-maps bits.  Don't ask me why, i'm sure it's complex.

Yet another approach would be to build the gui in 3D. We @zero-projekt are using a gui construction kit made with blender to store all elements of our gui in one *.blend. This way, resizing or other changes are a very easy task. (and as guis change a lot during development, that's a huge advantage ...  Wink )

Zero-Projekt, a post-nuclear cRPG
Gaspard
Community member

The Blackest Heart

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2009, 02:55:36 PM »

chewie's got my love Smiley
tie
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2009, 07:47:09 AM »

Call for GUI mock-up:

I plan to start with some basic GUI in the coming days. Some pictures of what you imagnine the (play screen) GUI to be would come very handy. If you can think of any pending design decisions that the gui depends on, please outline them here.
maximinus
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2009, 02:39:22 PM »

Although it's not critical at the moment, some indication of what we want would be useful to the programmers, because first of all we need to answer the question: is this feasible in PyChan?

Perhaps we should have a poll based around the links on the first page?

Science is open-source religion
zenbitz
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2009, 09:04:29 PM »

Call for GUI mock-up:

I plan to start with some basic GUI in the coming days. Some pictures of what you imagnine the (play screen) GUI to be would come very handy. If you can think of any pending design decisions that the gui depends on, please outline them here.

Uh, which GUI?  There are about 6, I think.   I am going to presume you mean the "main one" for running around the map shootin' and talkin' to stuff.

We are not denying them an ending...
We are denying them a DISNEY ending - Icelus
maximinus
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2009, 02:52:49 AM »

Uh, which GUI?  There are about 6, I think.   I am going to presume you mean the "main one" for running around the map shootin' and talkin' to stuff.

Yep, I think we mean 'the main one', as you say. But I was kind of assuming that the 'look' should stay consistent over the various parts of the GUI; I think the idea is to make sure that what we want can be done in PyChan. Also, some functions such as 'save game', 'load game' and 'exit game' could reasonably implemented pretty quickly right now.

Anyway, the point is to compare what we want with what PyChan can do so we can see how much work we need to do.

maximinus
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2009, 10:24:58 AM »

Doesn't seem to be much activity in this area so perhaps I'll put up a poll in a couple of days based on a few images I can mock-up. This may not lead to a solid decision but it may focus our minds towards what we DON'T want.

mvBarracuda
Admin
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2009, 12:37:36 PM »

Sounds like a good idea to me maximinus. I know from Zero-Projekt that they revamped their GUI 2-3 times so it's rather unlikely that we'll perfectly nail it with the first shot anyway.
egalor
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2009, 02:05:33 PM »

Please, don't forget the Geiger counter (Wasteland-style)!
Dave Matney
Community member

29640090 naveofhearts@hotmail.com naveking matneyx
View Profile Email
« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2009, 08:34:22 PM »

(Forgive me if I'm stepping over the line, here; I'm just trying to get a feel for the game, to figure out what elements to compose for, to hopefully impress you all with how well my demo piece(s) fit the overall game.)

I really like the look of Gaspard's GUIs, but something that keeps going through my mind as I read through all of this is that, in the game, you're only 20 years after WW3 destroyed everything.  That includes production lines and factories.

So, IMO, the GUI should reflect the DIY, survival-first, mentality of the game.  Think duct tape, bailing twine, visible nuts and bolts, and pieces that don't quite fit right.  A little bit of rust, perhaps, and/or a crack in the compass?
zenbitz
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2009, 01:37:59 AM »

So, IMO, the GUI should reflect the DIY, survival-first, mentality of the game.  Think duct tape, bailing twine, visible nuts and bolts, and pieces that don't quite fit right.  A little bit of rust, perhaps, and/or a crack in the compass?

I like this quite a bit.  I am a bit "meh" on the geiger counter... although I like the concept.   I just have not found a real world justification for boat loads of radioactivity 20 years later (unless you are near a bombed out nuclear power plant)

We are not denying them an ending...
We are denying them a DISNEY ending - Icelus
Border
Community member

silicium_Vitae@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #28 on: July 27, 2009, 03:09:38 PM »

I'll resurect this thread just to say, i'll try some GUI Mockup in the next day. Try different style, color sheme all the form of sketch so don't expect something very pushed. Something i'll add
  • Life Bar
  • Inventory acces
  • quest
  • Mini map
  • compass
Some stuff will be add, other remove or just add as a button. Think Fallout Map,PipBoy and character button.
mvBarracuda
Admin
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #29 on: July 27, 2009, 04:02:30 PM »

Coolio, I'm looking forward to it. Right now we're not really sure how the life bar will work in PARPG, we've discussed some alternatives or addition to a simple health point system, e.g. a stress meter but there is nothing really set in stone. This said any GUI mockup should be pretty useful for our gameplay designers as source of inspiration :-)
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to: