Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Two new audio tracks by new composer  (Read 6386 times)
mvBarracuda
Admin
Community member

View Profile Email
« on: February 06, 2011, 12:57:26 AM »

A new composer created two new audio tracks for PARPG:
http://www.matthewpablo.com/archives/new-game-music-2-5-11

Let me know what you think :-)

I dig them, but they might be slightly too epic for a game like PARPG. I'm more of a fan of Mark Morgan's slightly lo-fi Fallout soundtrack. What's your take on it?
Necromiki
Community member

demon.loli@live.jp keikothegamer
View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2011, 02:35:52 AM »

For the Title:
its  to qualify in my book the type of track that is the "Calm & unrest" before the so said "Storm" and a sense of threat from future possibilities.

For the Battle:
this will really depend on the intensity of the battles within the final product. Its a decent track, but depending on the situation may seem to get as you said too "epic"
Technomage
Admin
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2011, 05:00:54 AM »

They are both fantastic pieces, no doubt about it. Though as noted by barra they do diverge from the minimalistic music that we currently use, and may be too "epic" from that standpoint.

I actually think that the battle music might fit in. It reminds me a little of the battle theme from Baldur's Gate. The dynamics of the piece are a bit jarring compared to our current background music, but it does convey the sense of a urgency and danger that suits a life or death battle situation.

In general, I think it's okay to have an epic piece as long as is only played in rare circumstances. The boss music from the old Metroid games is a good example.

"There are more atoms in the period at the end of this sentence than you can count in a lifetime." Science is awesome.

rowanthepreacher
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2011, 01:20:56 PM »

They are a little bit epic. They could easily be un-epic-ified (warning, not a real word) by deepening the music and replacing the clashes of cymbals with something less... epic sounding.

Testiculos habet et bene pendentes.
Q_x
Admin
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2011, 08:27:21 PM »

I'm thinking about if or how can we use the tracks. Like when making promo videos, maybe when the game ends, stuff like that. Its pretty dynamic, I think too much. But it still makes good impression. And yes, primitive instruments (string, reeds, simple drums) would suit more in game, as would composition closer to ambient, maybe with some field recording.
But first - lets admit - sound dept lacks creative vision article (at least not-pro stub)... This is our big fault, not to provide it.

If I can make a haiku-length thing to start:

face freezes in cold wind's howl
woodland and wasteland unite

matthewpablo
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2011, 08:35:43 PM »

Hello everyone! I'm glad you all got a chance to listen my music! Personally, I feel the title music is just fine and I agree with most of you for the battle music. I understand that you probably won't hear this track the way you're hearing it right now. That's because it's basically a "palette" of ideas I will be using to make variations of battle music. Some tracks will be more intense than others, but I understand that it's to be more minimalistic.

I hope everyone understands that. Also, if anything is way too dramatic for certain scenarios I can always make the proper adjustments. It's a lot easier to have to make things less dramatic than having someone tell you it's not dramatic enough.
qubodup
Admin
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2011, 10:39:08 PM »

This probably sounds stupid:

Irradiated Dreams sounds like hope. Too much hope.. too optimistic? I think of TES4: Oblivion when listening.

Wasteland Showdown sounds awesome. But I see fantasy worlds when listening. A bit of squad tactics comes to my mind as well.

Both tracks are of high quality and I am clearly biased by other games' soundtracks into thinking that neither fits PARPG.
BobBobson
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2011, 10:52:06 PM »

I hugely dug Irradiated Dreams. 'Hopeful', sure...but it had a certain melancholy to it. And I could have imagined myself humming along.

I definitely got a very 'fantasy' vibe to the battle piece- what with the fanfares and even the 'hammer-on-anvil' percussion.

But anyway, it's clear we've found/been found by an extremely talented individual, so hi, and welcome, matthewpablo!
zenbitz
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2011, 04:50:45 AM »

I am not an ambient music guy (turn off the sound usually), but I don't hate these.

We are not denying them an ending...
We are denying them a DISNEY ending - Icelus
matthewpablo
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2011, 12:19:49 PM »

This probably sounds stupid:

Irradiated Dreams sounds like hope. Too much hope.. too optimistic? I think of TES4: Oblivion when listening.

Wasteland Showdown sounds awesome. But I see fantasy worlds when listening. A bit of squad tactics comes to my mind as well.

Both tracks are of high quality and I am clearly biased by other games' soundtracks into thinking that neither fits PARPG.

I just wrote what I was inspired to do. As I was writing I did feel like it was too much to really fit PARPG. Both pieces have their moments that do fit the game well, but I never stop myself when I'm so inspired to write something. I will however, water or "dumb" down either of these pieces if and when they need to be. I've done game soundtracks for a lot of games and this usually happens where I have to do that. Like I said in my other post, it's easier to take it down a notch when there's too much rather than having too little and I would have to add more.
Ninjerk
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2011, 04:30:42 AM »

I thought Irradiated Dreams had that same hopeful/desperate ambivalence that the Terminator theme had.

Wasteland showdown is pretty cool, too.  Reminds me of the feeling I'd get fighting in Final Fantasy Tactics.

I don't mean to say either is derivative.  I mean to compliment you on some very good arrangements.
freegamer
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2011, 02:01:04 PM »

Both are very good tracks.
qubodup
Admin
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2012, 09:41:22 AM »

I contacted Matthew using the contact form on his site, asking for permission to upload these tracks under ccbysa3 to OGA.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: