Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: UI, Controls, and Show (Don't Tell)  (Read 3790 times)
goodtimeshaxor
Community member

View Profile Email
« on: February 01, 2011, 08:11:07 PM »

--This post is just a collection of thoughts about the game's basic controls, UI, etc--

* Not sure if a thread has been posted on this topic, but after searching through several pages nothing was found
Work in progress!

Basic Controls:
Very basic but I believe it's important to establish how the UI will be controlled.

• Left Click location - move to that location
  • Left Click hold - move to the current cursor location
  • 1-0 Hot keys - Ready item/ability for use
  • Right Click - Use focused/equipped item/ability

These simple controls are intuitive and use-friendly. There's no learning curve here and it will be beneficial to be able to use items by clicking for purposes of "Show don't Tell" design.

Show don't Tell
Again, this is a very basic design mechanic but an important one. "Show" can be incorporated into just about everything and improves the overall experience

• Tell: Click on a broken snowmobile. A menu of possible actions pops up. Select "Use copper wire". Snowmobile starts up
  • Show: Equip copper wire into hands. Right click snowmobile. Snowmobile starts up

Double up Negatives
People don't like to see that their stats or abilities are in the negatives. Psychology is important to keep in mind in design

• Instead of having any negative values, have zero as the base line and increase all values so they are always positive
  • Unless it's beneficial to show that something is negative such as NPC relations. Perhaps a negative value can be used to show 'negative' feelings between two people; however, if possible, it would be best to non-negative values
Q_x
Admin
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2011, 10:14:56 AM »

http://forums.parpg.net/index.php?topic=413.0 is a related thread. Qubodup and me are currently planning UI stuff, Technomage codes it. We've planned inventory screen so far and actions possible there. There is little to do now, as we (at least I think so) wait to test the code, draw conclusions and move forward with productions. Also the mechanic related to it is not yet in place.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2011, 10:18:51 AM by Q_x » Logged

zenbitz
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2011, 04:46:57 AM »

Not sure I don't prefer show AND tell, at least for some more complicated situations.  But I can see that it's better when the cases are simple.

You brought up the negative numbers on IRC and I am not seeing your point.  Maybe I WANT the Player to feel bad about his situation?

We are not denying them an ending...
We are denying them a DISNEY ending - Icelus
goodtimeshaxor
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2011, 04:52:15 AM »

Not sure I don't prefer show AND tell, at least for some more complicated situations.  But I can see that it's better when the cases are simple.

You brought up the negative numbers on IRC and I am not seeing your point.  Maybe I WANT the Player to feel bad about his situation?

Only after 2 days of of knowing you and a few hours of speaking with you, even I know you love when players suffer Wink
rowanthepreacher
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2011, 03:14:37 PM »

Well, this is supposed to be a fairly black and grey world. If negative numbers will make the player more aware of the mind-crushing, everlasting burden his character staggers beneath, without making the game any less fun, I'm all for it.

Testiculos habet et bene pendentes.
mvBarracuda
Admin
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2011, 03:37:55 PM »

Slightly related to this discussion: ROA1 (DSA1 in Germany) had negative attributes as well.

Check out the ROA1 manual, negative attributes are explained at page 15: http://www.mazmorra.andaina.org/manuals/manuales/Manual_Arkania1.pdf
goodtimeshaxor
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2011, 08:48:57 PM »

Slightly related to this discussion: ROA1 (DSA1 in Germany) had negative attributes as well.

Check out the ROA1 manual, negative attributes are explained at page 15: http://www.mazmorra.andaina.org/manuals/manuales/Manual_Arkania1.pdf

It's important to keep in mind that just because another public game uses it, it doesn't necessarily mean it was a good aspect of the game. But obviously, I'm all for discussion about this topic. Since PARPG does thrive on those negative feels, perhaps it would be beneficial to use negative values but that can be determined through play testing.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: