Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Stress, atrocities and the cold, dark world: A riposte.  (Read 3187 times)
rowanthepreacher
Community member

View Profile Email
« on: January 26, 2011, 05:06:04 PM »

I've been reading over the health and damage wiki to find out what's (roughly) on the table for stress.

To my horror, I found that atrocities will increase stress in the same fashion as starvation and combat. The whole "sanctity of morality" (Atrocities committed that do not affect us) is a concept born in our modern age, and it has no place in a world that revolves around staying alive for one more day, just as it had no place in much of the past.

When trying to craft a dark world, putting in a mechanic that respects the sanctity of morality is out of place and actually detracts from the world you're trying to create. For pre-war survivors, this is fair enough. They still hold on to the flimsy threads of an outdated morale system, but for everyone else, it's utterly irrelevant. Add this to the stress mechanic for those soft types, for whom the journey through the wasteland is a harrowing one, but for the hardy people of 2010: a child is just a person, a cannibal is someone you need to keep away from, a pile of corpses is a reminder of your fortune (or superiority).

Testiculos habet et bene pendentes.
zenbitz
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2011, 01:37:21 AM »

interesting perspective.  The mechanic IS just a cheat to give SOME incentive to the player to not just go nutzo on the world.  THere may be other ways.

I can see having "2" kinds of players, ones who hold on to "conventional morality" and ones who flaunt it (if they were in today's world we'd call them psychopaths).

I also thought that it might make sense to have different PC origins (particular young blood vs. oldster) have different "moralities".

We are not denying them an ending...
We are denying them a DISNEY ending - Icelus
rowanthepreacher
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2011, 11:31:08 AM »

I had seen the idea of different character types being affected by stress differently, but anything "immoral" can be dealt with IC.

After all, murdering someone is likely to raise the community against you, just as cannibalism or other atrocious acts would.

Minor acts might raise the local trade prices (a strong incentive when you barely have enough bartering goods for another slice of lefse), while bigger or repeated outrages will see exile and violence introduced. Tying it into whatever mechanic we have for criminals seems like a much neater way to go.

Of course, character types that still hold onto conventional morality can have it influence their stress as well, or perhaps it should be a gameplay toggle.

Testiculos habet et bene pendentes.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: