Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Adult content in PARPG  (Read 12344 times)
rowanthepreacher
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2011, 12:31:42 PM »

Goodtimes, that sounds like you want a AAA game.

It has been explicitly said many times that Fallout 2 is a good place to start looking at this game. That has more drugs that a busy nightclub, an entire area devoted to slavery, childmurdering (there's even a title for doing it), racism (civilised vs tribal, present and unhidden throughout the game), sex (perks, titles, loads of places to get laid), although I don't think there's much torture...

Essentially, you're looking for the good, 2.4 kids, WASP family values entertainment. Fallout 3 and S.T.A.L.K.E.R. (essentially a mini post-apoc land) have you covered.

Testiculos habet et bene pendentes.
mvBarracuda
Admin
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2011, 12:44:32 PM »

To be fair: Fallout 2 went a bit over the top with New Reno. It was fun city, it wasn't very coherent with the rest of the Fallout setting, especially the setting elements that were introduced with Fallout 1.

This said: PARPG won't be the usual family friendly AAA RPG. We shouldn't add any kind of game mechanic just for the shock value, but if we want to create a grim and realistic RPG for adults, having some adult content in the game is surely not the worst starting point :-)
rowanthepreacher
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2011, 12:50:51 PM »

I'm playing Fallout 2 at the moment, so I only mentioned the parts I've reached so far. I haven't even left Klamath.

goodtimeshaxor
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2011, 07:44:46 PM »

Goodtimes, that sounds like you want a AAA game.

It has been explicitly said many times that Fallout 2 is a good place to start looking at this game. That has more drugs that a busy nightclub, an entire area devoted to slavery, childmurdering (there's even a title for doing it), racism (civilised vs tribal, present and unhidden throughout the game), sex (perks, titles, loads of places to get laid), although I don't think there's much torture...

Essentially, you're looking for the good, 2.4 kids, WASP family values entertainment. Fallout 3 and S.T.A.L.K.E.R. (essentially a mini post-apoc land) have you covered.

You're right, I am used to designing towards AAA goals but these were just my opinions on what a game should be allowed to have. As a game designer, I just don't think some of these things NEED to be in the game. Fun can be achieved without the implementation of slavery, child murder, sex, etc. Although it adds to the realism of the entire experience, it's never a necessary factor.

But if realism and depth is a major goal of this project, I don't see why we can't add it. It was just in my opinion that a fun game doesn't necessarily need these things.
Kaanyr Vhok
Community member

And I ran so far away I found Indieopia

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2011, 03:47:35 PM »

Could it be that killing children in a 2D isometric game is like stamping a sprite? People dont seem to relate to sprite children. Non gamers relate to 1st person or 3rd over the shoulder games more espscially with good graphics. If those Dead Space 2 comercials arent real I can tell you there are millions of people who react like that.  Even though it was worded much like an excuse or copout when FO 3's lead designer stated that child killing in their engine would not clear ESRB he was probably right.

"I killed my dinner with karate / Kick 'em in the face, taste the body / Shallow work is the work that I do" -The Book of Right-On
rowanthepreacher
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2011, 04:28:52 PM »

Fortunately, we're not bound by ESRB. We should be looking to explore every negative human trait we can, examining and even turning them about, within the context of the game.

Try placing characters (and the players, through their input) in a situation that necessitates the killing of a child, or slavery, or other heinous acts. Let them discover for themselves the hypocrisies, limits and hierarchy of their own moral code.

On the other hand, this is a game. We can only put in so much depth and moral ambiguity before it stops enhancing the feel and enjoyment of the game, and starts getting irritating or even causing anxiety.

zenbitz
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2011, 07:19:55 AM »

I don't really care about any of this stuff, although there will be no "rape/torture" NPC mechanic (there is an "interrogation" skill... but no "enhance interrogation" skill).

Other than that, do a good job and don't be gratuitious about it.   

We are not denying them an ending...
We are denying them a DISNEY ending - Icelus
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to: