Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: How important is testing the game to you?  (Read 17596 times)
mvBarracuda
Admin
Community member

View Profile Email
« on: March 06, 2009, 04:55:55 PM »

And yet another feedback thread for the writing staff :-)

In theory it sounds like a good idea if every contributor could always test the latest version of the game to see what's already implemented. On the other side setting up the build environment can be pretty tricky, especially if you run some Linux distros or even worse at this point: Mac OS.

Is it important to you that you can always run the latest version of the game or doesn't it really matter to you?
eleazzaar
Community member

attempting lucidity

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2009, 06:40:10 PM »

Is it important to you that you can always run the latest version of the game or doesn't it really matter to you?

I've contributed to about a dozen FOSS game projects over the last 5 years starting with Wesnoth.  Being able to play/test the game has a strong correlation
1) maintaining interest in the project
2) actually being able to contribute effectively

Of course #2 is more important when i was contributing to GUI and art

Additionally i've observed that new contributors ideas are more likely to be relevant and helpful if they have actually played the game.  There's no quicker way to get the idea of what sort of game it is.  Contributors who don't understand exactly what sort of game it is, are seldom useful.

Of course the value of having the current version in your hands varies greatly as development moves forward.  The value of a barely functional 0.1 in everybody's hands is minimal.  But it's absolutely vital that contributors have it for the 0.9 polishing stage.
zenbitz
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2009, 01:23:38 AM »

Mandatory.  But even if you are cursed with a PPC mac (can't dual boot Linux or Win32), you can get a free emulator / virtual machine, right?
It doesn't have to play _fast_.

We are not denying them an ending...
We are denying them a DISNEY ending - Icelus
mvBarracuda
Admin
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2009, 12:32:13 AM »

Good point about the emulator. AFAIK vtchill (FIFE developer) runs some kind of virtualization software on his macbook.
eleazzaar
Community member

attempting lucidity

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2009, 01:04:35 AM »

you can get a free emulator / virtual machine, right?
There's Dos-box.

But i'm not aware of anything else free and fully functional.  But i'd love to find out about it.
mvBarracuda
Admin
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2009, 01:30:00 AM »

AFAIR vtchill uses virtualbox:
http://www.virtualbox.org/

Seems to be free as in free beer and free speech :-)
eleazzaar
Community member

attempting lucidity

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2009, 01:42:05 AM »

cool, i'll check it out.
Sirren
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2009, 03:48:16 AM »

As far as I'm concerned being able to tinker with a working app is mandatory. I know that we're going to plan everything bu art must be tested in game. I think I can speack for all those who're contributing with arts...
Lamoot
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2009, 08:44:14 AM »

It's definitely needed to be able to play with the art assets in-game. Perhaps to have a test map for each of the artists which he can change in any way he wants. Or perhaps a set of 5-10 maps that can be given to artists to test when they feel the need, but not really being "their" maps, just free testing slots for teh duration of the testing period.
DK
Community member

Personal Pencil Sharpener To Ye Gods

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2009, 09:45:51 PM »

I would like to test it at any stage possible.. feeling the potential is one route to inspiration I like to use very much
mvBarracuda
Admin
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2009, 09:50:32 PM »

What OS are you running DK?
DK
Community member

Personal Pencil Sharpener To Ye Gods

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2009, 09:52:39 PM »

Windows vista currently.. running back to my old laptop on xp soon as it's fixed sometime this week I hope.
hm..
getting a new desktop soon as well (For free Cheesy *thanks dyslexia and uni*), so would say a mix of vista and xp.
mvBarracuda
Admin
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2009, 09:57:15 PM »

Oki, building on win32 is quite easy. You don't need any special kind of technical knowledge, not how to use a compiler either.

A guide how to do so can be found here:
http://wiki.parpg.net/Download

If you run into any issues, you can get live help at the IRC channel:
http://wiki.parpg.net/IRC
« Last Edit: March 09, 2009, 03:24:59 PM by mvBarracuda » Logged
NineOfHearts
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2009, 10:44:20 PM »

And yet another feedback thread for the writing staff :-)

In theory it sounds like a good idea if every contributor could always test the latest version of the game to see what's already implemented. On the other side setting up the build environment can be pretty tricky, especially if you run some Linux distros or even worse at this point: Mac OS.

Testing the game is important! Hopefully we can play soon. Smiley
maximinus
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2009, 12:57:05 AM »

Just to cast my vote: I feel it's essential to have a running copy, so you can see that your work is actually doing something.

Gives you a reason to continue, and that's just as important for writers and artists as it is for us coders!

Science is open-source religion
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to: