Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8
Print
Author Topic: Setting Ideas: Brainstorming  (Read 70249 times)
zenbitz
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: March 05, 2009, 07:28:07 PM »

It seems to me, most likely that after even a modest apocalypse that almost no one would really know who started it.  Of course, everyone would have a theory.

If WWIII had started due to the Cuban Missile Crisis in 1962, do you think the survivors might have some idea what happened?   Some kind of apocalypses - even nuclear wars - might "blindside" the populace?   For example, if an all-out nuclear strike was triggered by a flock of geese or something (alegedly almost happened a couple of times) - but if were Soviet tanks driving through Germany following tactical & strategic nuke strikes, I think anyone watching the news for a couple of days might now what happened.

I think even if a comet or asteroid hit the earth sometime after, oh, 1960, there would be an early warning and broadcast up for weeks to days before the event.

We are not denying them an ending...
We are denying them a DISNEY ending - Icelus
DK
Community member

Personal Pencil Sharpener To Ye Gods

View Profile Email
« Reply #61 on: March 05, 2009, 07:56:53 PM »

I am more in favour of a hidden past.. but also agree that if set only 20 years after the war then there is going to be plenty of evidence as to why the war started.

So three options would be

1) set the game longer than 20 years after the event... 40 years? 2nd generation survivors who are able to learn better survival skills than their more domesticated parents? We would be seeing the last of the pre-war tech breaking down and would be seeing the transition from the modern society backwards into a new dark ages. Think the collapse of rome.

2) set only 20 years after but elaborate back story as to why no one really knows who what or why happened, all we know is that it happened and it sucked. To me this has the benefit of creating subtle factions that could build towards a religious schism of people.

3) 20 years after and reasons are clear. Would be interesting to still, am interested in seeing the prejudice of people come out. Say the Russians fired first? They would be treated like 2nd class citizens though the individuals had nothing to do with it. story parallel: Anti-semitic Christians because "Juice killed Jesus"
zenbitz
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 05, 2009, 08:59:54 PM »

3) 20 years after and reasons are clear. Would be interesting to still, am interested in seeing the prejudice of people come out. Say the Russians fired first? They would be treated like 2nd class citizens though the individuals had nothing to do with it. story parallel: Anti-semitic Christians because "Juice killed Jesus"

Just because "we"  - the writers know the true story, doesn't meant the NPCs in the game might not have their own ideas an prejudices.

eleazzaar
Community member

attempting lucidity

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 05, 2009, 09:19:57 PM »

but if were Soviet tanks driving through Germany following tactical & strategic nuke strikes, I think anyone watching the news for a couple of days might now what happened.
It's generally believed in a cold-war or post cold-war type scenario that once nukes start flying, there's a very short time frame before most of the nukes have been launched or neutralized.

So while the people would have good reason to believe that a struggle over germany was the issue that escalated into nuclear war, they wouldn't know who fired first, since all parties who had a chance to fire would generally have fired within minutes of each other.

Besides in a topic like a recent apocalypse, passions will run hot, and people will generally be most interested in blaming and demonizing someone than figuring out exactly how it occured.
Gaspard
Community member

The Blackest Heart

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 05, 2009, 10:51:44 PM »

I think I saw a discussion that was about that but can you choose the age for your character ?

The game starts 20 years after the war. Thats fixed now, yes ?
 Will you be born into the post-apoc world or will your knowledge and skills come over from your 'previous life' like in Mad Max ? Then you'd have to be around or close to 40+ to actually have any detailed knowledge of something (depending on your background) or a meager views and not fully developed attitude toward life and world and politics in general if you're <30. If you're <20 then wouldn't we need semi-fixed background stories for the new characters ?
Like you can choose if you're a boy/girl from the bomb shelter in the Big City or a girl/boy from the cellar of a garage 20 km/some miles out of town ?

If you're the latter then you'd listen to the rumors and ask around maybe if you're interested. But if you're playing the old character then that would have to be clear from the start - you have your own diary somewhere somesuch.

But if the reason of the war is not critical to the advancement of the plot then the discussion's importance is pretty moot at this point. There's a big possibility that the topic of the beginning of the war will not be touched at all during the demo-town/areas which were one of the first priorities
zenbitz
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 05, 2009, 11:11:54 PM »

I think I saw a discussion that was about that but can you choose the age for your character ?

That's the idea.  One complication of this is that for it to be actually"cool" it implied multiple starting locations/setups.  Unlike Fallout, for example.

It's linked.  20 years after  (+/- 5) is pretty much the only way you can get "Adults" from either "before" or "after".

Will you be born into the post-apoc world or will your knowledge and skills come over from your 'previous life' like in Mad Max ? Then you'd have to be around or close to 40+ to actually have any detailed knowledge of something (depending on your background) or a meager views and not fully developed attitude toward life and world and politics in general if you're <30. If you're <20 then wouldn't we need semi-fixed background stories for the new characters ?
Like you can choose if you're a boy/girl from the bomb shelter in the Big City or a girl/boy from the cellar of a garage 20 km/some miles out of town ?

Yes, my idea is that you would choose your background when you choose your age, and it would (strongly) influence your starting skills (and possibly equipment as well).  Probably change your "start" location too.  I am not sure the back stories have to be "fixed" per se, but they probably have to be suggested.

But if the reason of the war is not critical to the advancement of the plot then the discussion's importance is pretty moot at this point. There's a big possibility that the topic of the beginning of the war will not be touched at all during the demo-town/areas which were one of the first priorities

Yeah, my assumption is that it's more or less irrelevant to actual game play.   

eleazzaar
Community member

attempting lucidity

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 05, 2009, 11:12:44 PM »

I think the PC's age could provide some very interesting choices for the player  There's lots of stuff that simply wouldn't make sense to someone born after the BOOM.  But then they would be young and not totally freaked out since the world is the way they always have known it to be.
DK
Community member

Personal Pencil Sharpener To Ye Gods

View Profile Email
« Reply #67 on: March 05, 2009, 11:42:46 PM »

Yes, my idea is that you would choose your background when you choose your age, and it would (strongly) influence your starting skills (and possibly equipment as well).  Probably change your "start" location too.  I am not sure the back stories have to be "fixed" per se, but they probably have to be suggested.

Likes. Smiley

Something like older character less physical skill more mental skil moar "stuff"?
eleazzaar
Community member

attempting lucidity

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 06, 2009, 04:12:34 AM »

I would put "Age" and different backgrounds on the second tier of needfulness.

It's not a core feature that the game can't be without.

But it's something pretty cool that shouldn't be unreasonably hard to implement.
tie
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #69 on: March 06, 2009, 01:49:40 PM »

(moved to http://forums.parpg.net/index.php?topic=35.msg594#msg594)
« Last Edit: March 09, 2009, 03:37:55 PM by mvBarracuda » Logged
Gaspard
Community member

The Blackest Heart

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 06, 2009, 05:27:17 PM »

cold war era + sci fi

http://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/military_law/1281171.html
zenbitz
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 07, 2009, 01:01:10 AM »

I would put "Age" and different backgrounds on the second tier of needfulness.

It's not a core feature that the game can't be without.

But it's something pretty cool that shouldn't be unreasonably hard to implement.

Concur.  It's certainly outside the scope of the demo.  But the option existing might help inspire writers!

eleazzaar
Community member

attempting lucidity

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 10, 2009, 07:08:50 AM »

I'd really like to avoid the pulp sci-fi concept that radiation produces super-powerful and/or dangerous beings.  Radiations makes you dead, sick or infertile.  And mutations when they happen to people in the real world are generally called "birth defects".

But more to the point, super-mutants are suitable for campy pulp, which from what i gathered is not the effect we are going for.

The humor in FO was great, but probably not something we can or should try to duplicate.

Also if we are going to set this in an alternate earth, i think it would be interesting to build up a backstory of events that are subtly and then increasingly different from actual history for several decades prior to the boom.

I dunno, like a vietnam that didn't end.  Presidents who actually served out their term getting assasinated, that kind of stuff.
zenbitz
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 10, 2009, 09:19:33 PM »

I'd really like to avoid the pulp sci-fi concept that radiation produces super-powerful and/or dangerous beings.  Radiations makes you dead, sick or infertile.  And mutations when they happen to people in the real world are generally called "birth defects".
Agreed, .although I am willing to bend the rules in a minor way.  example: Mutant furry kangaroos (escape from zoo) = Tauntauns.

Also if we are going to set this in an alternate earth, i think it would be interesting to build up a backstory of events that are subtly and then increasingly different from actual history for several decades prior to the boom.

I dunno, like a vietnam that didn't end.  Presidents who actually served out their term getting assasinated, that kind of stuff.

Have at.  I just worked my way backwards from sort of where I wanted the world.  I stopped at "Soviets invade western europe, nukes fly" in 1988/89.

eleazzaar
Community member

attempting lucidity

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 11, 2009, 03:00:43 AM »

Agreed, .although I am willing to bend the rules in a minor way.  example: Mutant furry kangaroos (escape from zoo) = Tauntauns.

*Sigh*  You know that starts a slippery slope to lightsabers and midichlorians, right?  Wink
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8
Print
Jump to: