Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8
Print
Author Topic: Setting Ideas: Brainstorming  (Read 70243 times)
zenbitz
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 17, 2009, 04:54:30 PM »

I don't think it's been set that timeline starts in 1962.  I would like to see more of a real timeline written before I sign off on this.

We are not denying them an ending...
We are denying them a DISNEY ending - Icelus
zenbitz
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 18, 2009, 02:04:53 AM »

Not a proposal - but food for thought.  Twilight 2000 is an old school table top RPG that takes place _immediatly_ after WWIII.
There are european and north american campaigns.

http://twilight2000.wikia.com/wiki/Twilight_2000_Wiki

Note that because the "story" goal was to have semi-autonomous and viable armies from the war still active - the nuclear war they propose tends to be somewhat limited compared to other scenarios.   Timeline is probably somewhat later than we are thinking, and seems to start with a China/USSR war.   1st edition is probably the closest to what we are thinking.

There are _4_ editions of this game, each with different timelines.  I would just ignore the Twlight 2013 - the timeline is not complete (looks like something like a Russia post USSR - China - US war)

zenbitz
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 02, 2009, 07:58:24 AM »

http://rk19-bielefeld-mitte.de/survival/FM/15.htm

This is just plain useful.

mvBarracuda
Admin
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #48 on: March 02, 2009, 08:49:48 AM »

Nice find zenbitz :-) I've added it to the wiki.
Kukkakaali
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 02, 2009, 04:33:38 PM »

Abandonned military storage site

A barbed-wire fence rounded, old military vehicle storing site, theres propably ten to twenty pre-war rusty throughly corroded
tanks and cars lying around covered in thick snow and a pathway to the ammo storing site under the ground, but
unfortunedly the door leading to the storage is locked from inside.
 Behind the thick metal door you can find other wooden doors that lead to weapon and ammo storages,
the personell quarders were positioned on the ground but were unfortunedly destroyed in the war.

There would propably be something good being found under the snow and from old vehicles but unfortunedly most of them are
under so much ice and snow that they are unreachable and the equipment inside the underground storage are pretty much sealed from
the player untill he / she can find some kind of explosives or keys for the door.

There could be also an small military storage site like this but with an cracked open door and a raider party living in it,
an group of humans who have found a way to get the door open and use the equipment for their own advantage, ofcourse the
player could go and try kill them to get the rest of whats left or some how make deals with the local peaple about destroying the
hideout entrance so that the raiders inside wouldnt be a threath to the peaple no more, who knows..

http://www.mpmaailma.fi/userimages/1467_korA2457mp.jpg
http://www.rt-kilta.net/galleria2/galleria/tykit/tykit9.jpg

Kukkakaali
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 02, 2009, 08:13:39 PM »

I think that most of the locations on the game could be found only by talking to peaple and interacting with them, like in fallout where you can get the locations of the acid cave north of klamath and the mafia drugfarm, but in this situation i think that there could be only a few find able locations for the player without further knowlege of the areas or some one telling you where it is, this would prevent skipping major parts of the game and would make the players consentrate more to the actual gameplay rather than skipping some locations for better equipment and stuff.
crowleyhammer
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 03, 2009, 02:36:00 AM »

I like the ideas being put forward etc but the soviets - america thing has been done a lot, couldnt we add a twist?

I was thinking of something similar to sum of all fears, where instead of soviets firing on the U.S or vice versa having a rogue element tricking them off into fighting each other, we can still keep our current setting as such and time/ dates.

Im not advocating some shadow government crap but it may give the player an interesting avenue to explore instead of the same old russia hating america etc.

Obviously this needs to be fleshed out a tad more but its just another idea to throw in the mix.

Great holes secretly are digged where earth's pores ought to suffice, and things have learnt to walk that ought to crawl.

H.P Lovecraft
zenbitz
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 03, 2009, 04:42:03 AM »

I think WHY the war started is not relevant at all.     I think "third party" intervention to cause WWIII has been done nearly as much anyway.  What I would like to see is just something coherent and believable.  The "original" idea of this was that we should have post-apoc game with "soviet" stuff ('cause it's cool).  Nothing deeper than that.

Setting moved to "Scandinavia" because Central Europe conflicted with a similar FIFE game.... and it fits easily with "Snow" idea.
Around this time we decided "Nuclear Nukes were fired in an Atomic War".

So now all we have to do is construct a backstory that fufills this.   There are lots.  I personally prefer the game to be light on fantasy elements.

Hope that helps with the background ideas.

Lamoot
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 03, 2009, 10:51:13 AM »

I think "third party" intervention to cause WWIII has been done nearly as much anyway.

Always prevented by the Shaken, not stirred Smiley

I think WHY the war started is not relevant at all.

Indeed. It wasn't relevant in Mad Max and it's a cool story/movie nonetheless.

The "original" idea of this was that we should have post-apoc game with "soviet" stuff ('cause it's cool).  Nothing deeper than that.

Exactly the reason.
shanxi
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 03, 2009, 04:18:34 PM »

If you never reveal the cause of the war and focus solely on the post-apocalyptic setting it would have the potential to create a very intriguing storyline without too many real-life diversions (I find alternate-history pretty boring).

I don't know if any of you are familiar with The Road by Cormac McCarthy, but it has a post-apocalyptic setting although the cause is unknown and it really works well.  Rather than dwelling on why the world is in such a bad way he just lets the reader form his own assumptions and focusses solely on portraying the vestiges of humanity as they cope with it.

I'd be in favour of setting it at least 20+ years after the apocalypse, allowing for a new generation growing up in the environment would open the door to all kinds of interesting cultural 'mutations'.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2009, 04:21:50 PM by shanxi » Logged
zenbitz
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 03, 2009, 06:53:19 PM »

If you never reveal the cause of the war and focus solely on the post-apocalyptic setting it would have the potential to create a very intriguing storyline without too many real-life diversions (I find alternate-history pretty boring).

But I find it to be awesome wrapped awesome with awesome sauce.  I don't see how "diversions" have anything to do with it.  All future history sci-fi is pretty much the same idea... just alt-history starts NOW.

I'd be in favour of setting it at least 20+ years after the apocalypse, allowing for a new generation growing up in the environment would open the door to all kinds of interesting cultural 'mutations'.

Well, see - we both win.  I have alt-history realism, and you have 20 years after the war to make shit up!

Dubaian
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #56 on: March 05, 2009, 03:50:56 PM »

I liked the look of the 1000km2 map with Scandinavia and the whole winter idea. For one this opens up an area that may not necessarily have become a huge landscape dotted with craters left, right and center, relatively untouched by the nuclear war. It also gives openings for multiple factions of that nuclear holocaust to take up positions to enlist the player should he/she decide to be part of the group. With such factions as 'Old militias of *suchandsuch*' to the more prominent factions such as the USSR (or its remnants), UN, or even NATO (Although you could argue UN and NATO are one in the same...but a twist could come from this) all vieing for control of unnuclearafied locations. It also leaves open the possibility of seeing these factions on the frozen waters of the Baltic Sea continuing the 'Old' or 'New' Hatreds wars.

Quote from Renbitz: "But I find it to be awesome wrapped awesome with awesome sauce."
All I have left to say for now is...would you like a side-dish of awesome with that?
Cheers Tongue
zenbitz
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 05, 2009, 06:24:53 PM »

all vieing for control of unnuclearafied locations.

This is tangential - but people seem to have this idea of an atomic bomb permanently making a region uninhabitable.  This is obviously not the case - see Hiroshima and Nagasaki.   Those were small nukes to be sure - but large nukes just make a bigger crater and firestorm - and there are diminishing returns (which is why most bombs in service topped out at 2MT, even though 50-100MT bombs were theorized and maybe even tested).

It's possible to "chernobylize" an area - but this requires large amount of high level nuclear waste or reactor.  The other possibility is a "Cobalt bomb" (which to my knowledge were theorized but never built).

The damage from a nuclear bomb to a city comes primarily from creating a firestorm - just like a conventional bombing raid.  It just requires way fewer planes and materials.   The radiation effect is high - but it's acute.  Either you got zapped with a large dose in the blast and died of radiation poisoning (500-1000 rads), or you got a smaller dose and long term health effects (including cancer/birth defects) or you got a low dose (in a basement or whatetever).

The radiation danger lasts maybe a ~week or so after the explosion from particles in the air, aka fallout.

Just so you know.

eleazzaar
Community member

attempting lucidity

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 05, 2009, 06:47:54 PM »

I don't know if any of you are familiar with The Road by Cormac McCarthy, but it has a post-apocalyptic setting although the cause is unknown and it really works well.  Rather than dwelling on why the world is in such a bad way he just lets the reader form his own assumptions and focusses solely on portraying the vestiges of humanity as they cope with it.
It seems to me, most likely that after even a modest apocalypse that almost no one would really know who started it.  Of course, everyone would have a theory.
DK
Community member

Personal Pencil Sharpener To Ye Gods

View Profile Email
« Reply #59 on: March 05, 2009, 06:48:07 PM »

all vieing for control of unnuclearafied locations.

This is tangential - but people seem to have this idea of an atomic bomb permanently making a region uninhabitable.  This is obviously not the case - see Hiroshima and Nagasaki.   Those were small nukes to be sure - but large nukes just make a bigger crater and firestorm - and there are diminishing returns (which is why most bombs in service topped out at 2MT, even though 50-100MT bombs were theorized and maybe even tested).

It's possible to "chernobylize" an area - but this requires large amount of high level nuclear waste or reactor.  The other possibility is a "Cobalt bomb" (which to my knowledge were theorized but never built).

The damage from a nuclear bomb to a city comes primarily from creating a firestorm - just like a conventional bombing raid.  It just requires way fewer planes and materials.   The radiation effect is high - but it's acute.  Either you got zapped with a large dose in the blast and died of radiation poisoning (500-1000 rads), or you got a smaller dose and long term health effects (including cancer/birth defects) or you got a low dose (in a basement or whatetever).

The radiation danger lasts maybe a ~week or so after the explosion from particles in the air, aka fallout.

Just so you know.

Enlightening Cheesy
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8
Print
Jump to: