Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Inventory, Exploration & Battle: Shields, Torches and Flashlights  (Read 3789 times)
qubodup
Admin
Community member

View Profile Email
« on: January 18, 2011, 12:46:44 AM »

I want to address a few questions:

1. Do we have two slots in the inventory for placing weapons, shields, flashlights, torches and so on?

which leads to

2. Can you dual wield weapons in parpg?
3. Are there shields in parpg?
4. Are there torch and flashlight items in parpg?

I would prefer "no" as an answer to all these questions.

Portable light sources (4) either need to be micromanaged (replace torches/batteries, unequip before battle to use shield instead). Instead I suggest that we assume the player character is able to keep a supply of batteries or burnables when he needs it. If light sources are to be part of the game, I suggest that the player should be able to permanently improve his light source by getting a flashlight via dialog.
Or we could have a slot for lighting items and ignore consumption of battery power and torches.

Weapon configurations that involve more than one weapon (2) & (3) means more time spent collecting and picking weapons. I would much prefer when weapons and ammunition would be what the player has to pick from.

As a consequence, I think there should be one weapon/hands slot, rather than one for each hand.
zenbitz
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2011, 12:56:59 AM »

I am in favor of all three of these.  Dual weapons and shields are the same thing, just one is better at blocking and the other is better at hurting people.   Also, there is a big difference in combat effectiveness at different ranges when you compare for example:

Rifle  (2 handed) vs. Pistol & hand weapon.

The rifle is way better at long range, but if you miss then you might be in trouble.

I think that if you need light and a weapon, you have to make a choice (until you find/build a "miner's helmet") with a light on it.

These all seem like cool and realistic tactical choices for the player.

We are not denying them an ending...
We are denying them a DISNEY ending - Icelus
qubodup
Admin
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2011, 01:32:45 AM »

Do we want a Dungeons and Dragons complexity and item-collecting fency in PARPG? or a Jagged Alliance 2-complex fighting system? To me, PARPG is supposed to live from stealth and dialog no less than from battle. This makes me want to have a simple battle system, so it doesn't outweigh the other aspects of gameplay.
dracre
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2011, 10:08:20 AM »

I agree with zenbitz that there should be two hands and sources of light. Something that most games don't have though is holding a 2-handed weapon in one hand. You can hold an assault rifle with a pistol grip in one hand and still use it to shoot someone who's close enough (indoors).
zenbitz
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2011, 09:29:08 PM »

Do we want a Dungeons and Dragons complexity and item-collecting fency in PARPG? or a Jagged Alliance 2-complex fighting system? To me, PARPG is supposed to live from stealth and dialog no less than from battle. This makes me want to have a simple battle system, so it doesn't outweigh the other aspects of gameplay.

You can't "collect" items and golf club the game because you can't carry that much.  You can put it on a "vehicle"  (pulk, sled, cart, reindeer) but then you cannot switch in combat.

D&D is complex???

We are not denying them an ending...
We are denying them a DISNEY ending - Icelus
rowanthepreacher
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2011, 08:42:33 PM »

I would say that dual weapons should be in, for the essential blap-smack combo (pistol and melee weapon). Firing two weapons with two hands and a twohanded weapon in one hand is less realistic, but with appropriate penalties, certainly possible and even desirable for desperate situations.

Shields? In a world of crossbows and melee weapons, certainly. Necessary, for the most part.

Light sources should take a variety of slots. Some will require hand slots, others can be handily mounted on a miner's helm. Giving good light sources to bad slots could create interesting equipment choices in-game.

Testiculos habet et bene pendentes.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: