Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]
Print
Author Topic: More Writing-Based Ramblings. Oh, Good, Just What You Wanted?  (Read 25133 times)
BobBobson
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #60 on: March 03, 2011, 09:32:31 AM »

Hm, my major reason for trying to work copper in was that, hell, there really was a copper mine there in that top corner of our map...but I think it does come out feeling like a stretch. Hell, we can just as easily work in miserable slaves for something less recyclable. Fuel, really.
Q_x
Admin
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 03, 2011, 03:04:31 PM »

Mine... If there is a mine somewhere, unused, it usually gets flooded with water in no time (like days), and collapses soon after. You may have luck and hit a really dry spot, but that is unlikely to happen in Scandi region. For any deep mining you will also need to have one pump to get the air in, and other pump to get the water out. Both good. 
So if it was a hole more than few meters deep, away from mountains, most probably you will have small lake since few good years in that place. But near that lake you will have few meters high pile of ore, ready to take.
Things are different from spot to spot. You can dig and hit permafrost, rock, thick clay that will block most of the water, but if you will dig though it, you can have loose sand above the clay that will become muddy as soon as permafrost will go deeper during summer and will make whole mining really risky.

I  like the idea of using/having copper "mined" (from the pile or from other "copper ore gathering place", basically a place with malachite or some other mineral rich in copper). Think of nearby smelting facility also, and a copper smith or "wiremaker".

Smelting copper ore is easy, btw, much easier than iron. All you need is charcoal, 1100 C temperature is not that hard to obtain in small (= real) scale.

The copper, however, I see pretty much useless without electricity. Maybe some flashing for roofs, dishes, vessels, like teapots or small brewery, or jewelery, maybe pipes and other plumbing stuff. not much tools, maybe something that gets little mechanical strain.

Bronze and brass, and fancy alloys like gunmetal, are totally different story.

zenbitz
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 03, 2011, 07:27:47 PM »

But what rough, uncaring world is complete without a mine worked by dozens of miserable slaves?
So maybe mine something that's actually, you know, used up?   Coal is a great example.

Most of the copper to be scavenged would be long gone,

Where does it go?  On the map area there were roughly 35,000,000 people living in industrial technological society.  Now there are like 350,000.

In 1980 Sweden EXPORTED 180,000 TONNES of copper "concentrates" (I guess that's ore).  1980 Sweden has a population ~10 times that of our post apoc map. 

I think there would be enough lying around to last for a century of a society with little industry.

We are not denying them an ending...
We are denying them a DISNEY ending - Icelus
rowanthepreacher
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #63 on: March 03, 2011, 08:56:59 PM »

Well, I hadn't researched the quantities of copper, so I guess that's fair enough.

Also, 350,000? I was picturing closer to 3,500 in Scandinavia and upper eastern Europe.

Testiculos habet et bene pendentes.
zenbitz
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 04, 2011, 07:44:09 PM »

It's a pretty big area.  3,500 is more like the number of NPCs we might model.  With something like 10-100x that "virtually accounted for". 

zenbitz
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 30, 2011, 10:25:33 PM »

Last post split off into it's own thread...

BobBobson
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #66 on: April 11, 2011, 07:37:45 PM »

Inspiration strikes! Not sure about the name. Looking for something ironically childish and Pippi Longstocking-esque.

http://wiki.parpg.net/Heli
rowanthepreacher
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #67 on: April 11, 2011, 11:56:58 PM »

That's pretty harsh. Rape, murder, genocide. These are the things I can deal with. Creepy ultra-christian psycho children are just disturbing.

On that note, I'm torn over this idea. On the one hand, disturbing is good, and though the idea is cliched-feeling (I can't cite sources, but I swear I've seen this before) it's an interesting way to grant the rise and fall of hope physical form.

On the other hand, it feels like it's old material. Can't we get a disturbing message across without resorting to schoolgirls? If anything, I think this would be better portrayed by an unusual case, where this sort of psychotic child-like-ness hasn't been explored before.

zenbitz
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 13, 2011, 06:57:52 PM »

Tasteful?  (rpgcodex joke).   Anyway, I like the idea of the PC picking up flotsam and "rescuing it".   I am even more evil about this character though - since she believes (early) that everything is all her fault, she will subconsciously betray the party at critical moments.

BobBobson
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #69 on: April 18, 2011, 03:54:50 PM »

http://wiki.parpg.net/Gunnar

Another NPC concept. Because we need more cannibalism.

Mid-sketching out a 'large faction conflict' as a first act anchor.
zenbitz
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 18, 2011, 11:53:02 PM »

http://wiki.parpg.net/Gunnar

Another NPC concept. Because we need more cannibalism.
Lawful Good cannibals FTW!  There is an obvious (some might say contrived or cliche'd) plot around this guy too - some other party hires or convinces PC to go after Gunnar and bring him in / down.  Of course they only give one side of the story.

I just (re) read the "Watchmen" comic from the 80s.    I haven't read this in years (it has been in my Mom's basement since 2002), but the "feel" of this does a passable imitation of my vision for PARPG.

rowanthepreacher
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #71 on: April 19, 2011, 12:06:16 PM »

I like it. I'm not terribly fond of having cliche cannibals, but this is an interesting twist that stops it from becoming stale.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]
Print
Jump to: