Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Print
Author Topic: More Writing-Based Ramblings. Oh, Good, Just What You Wanted?  (Read 22122 times)
BobBobson
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #45 on: February 14, 2011, 02:44:46 PM »

Someone's been watching the Searchers Tongue

Not recently, actually!

A couple more-

http://wiki.parpg.net/SCUC

http://wiki.parpg.net/Trollkyrka
Ninjerk
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 15, 2011, 01:58:38 AM »

That faction would make for an interesting homage quest.  The two newer factions look interesting.
rowanthepreacher
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #47 on: February 15, 2011, 02:03:03 AM »

I'm not sure we need more religious groups. We've got a whole bunch of cults and beliefs going round, so why do we really need any more?

Testiculos habet et bene pendentes.
BobBobson
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #48 on: February 15, 2011, 09:25:32 AM »

I'm not sure we need more religious groups. We've got a whole bunch of cults and beliefs going round, so why do we really need any more?

We-ell, if we're going to have *any* religious groups at all, I'm pretty sure Christianity is going to have to be one of them. What with the...Christianity...in Scandinavia and everything.

It's just a faction bank, Ro. We're going to want to have more factions than we want or can handle. That way we can cherry-pick 'em. But if you're saying that we shouldn't consider writing any Catholic or pagan groups because I've already come up with some Communists and you've written about some kids that think they're cowboys...nah. It's just not the same thing.
rowanthepreacher
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #49 on: February 15, 2011, 01:40:27 PM »

Of course not, Bobson.

But these don't really seem like particularly interesting ways to go with the religious theme. You've got some fairly bog-standard christians and some misunderstood pagan guys that live in a forest. As religious groups, those two just... seem kinda lame. There's not much to them, because they're just the archetypes of their particular religion.

BobBobson
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #50 on: February 15, 2011, 02:11:32 PM »

We may have to agree to disagree on that one, mon ami. I take the point about the pagan folk needing a certain edge and nuance that they currently lack, but I definitely, definitely don't think that it's a good idea to force a Christian organisation to have a major 'twist' - it's going to have to have archetypal elements, because it's meant to be a realistic continuation of the existing, real-life religion. As I have (frequently now!) moaned before, you find the interesting stuff in the details, characters and internal politics of a faction, not in it having a wacky or extreme philosophy. You could describe the NCR as being 'just a bunch of soldiers', for example. Which is true, but that realistic (dull?) set-up allows for endless nuance.

...but I'm being a gwumpy baby stamping his foot.  Let's have a spirited chat about this on IRC at some point.
BobBobson
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #51 on: February 23, 2011, 03:05:18 PM »

More! Because the Bob never tires; only the people who are forced to read his drivel.

http://wiki.parpg.net/Lyngdal
zenbitz
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 23, 2011, 07:22:24 PM »

Read the ones from last week - quick thoughts.

Budbarare - the best one yet.  Really compelling.
Trollkryka - I like this one a lot, too
SCUC - Good, except why do protestants care about Rome?

We will have to find a good way to put a spin on Pagan vs. Christian.... maybe just make sure they both have good and bad in them... but we will have to cheap shot the atheists by making it even worse for the player if he doesn't back a faction or tries to play the middle...

and then...

Stagsfire.   Meh.  The feel is good... but so urban... how do you run a drug empire when everyone is struggling to eat?   And where the hell do they get cocaine and heroin?  I mean, Meth amphetamine I would almost believe if they had some undestroyed chemical warehouse (although you would think that they would find something more useful to do with it).

What if we moved Stagsfire south to Germany / Denmark?  Warmer (so more food), yet socially more bleak (more feudal, enslavmement, etc.)

We are not denying them an ending...
We are denying them a DISNEY ending - Icelus
BobBobson
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #53 on: February 28, 2011, 04:35:22 PM »

Fair points all. I'll try and catch you when you're not completely overwhelmed by work to chat about them.

Today's location update - a gothic cannibal location in a beautiful Swedish castle by a lake. And there are crows. Just because.

http://wiki.parpg.net/Gripsholm
zenbitz
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 01, 2011, 01:19:27 AM »

Do the Gripsholmians respect or revere the Crows as brothers, or do they see them as competitors for a limited food supply!
Ravens have a very strong history in North mythos as well.

BobBobson
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #55 on: March 01, 2011, 11:14:32 AM »

Bit o' both, I suppose. But mainly a primitive, fraternal religion, as led by the Priest, who loves the birds, was what I was going for. I stuck the gulls in to avoid the whole 'why don't they just eat the crows' thing?

But yup, I was playing on a dirty little Odin/raven thing - also the myth of Procrustes, which I've always loved.
BobBobson
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #56 on: March 02, 2011, 03:16:30 PM »

Now - a copper mine and the prisoners who work it. Could be a cool origin location. Only problem that troubles me is the issue of just how useful copper would be...

http://wiki.parpg.net/Roros
rowanthepreacher
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #57 on: March 02, 2011, 09:35:51 PM »

Well, it's not too far fetched that there could be a pre-war factory somewhere in Germany (late game, nice and industrial) that uses copper. Makes openings for an interesting bunch of quests as well.

zenbitz
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 02, 2011, 11:02:15 PM »

copper is obviously very useful for anything that requires wires, or brass, or bronze.  Almost any industry.

However, MINING copper in the post apocalypse might be a little silly.  There are probably millions of tons lying around to be scavenged out of old cars, tanks, machines, you name it.  Already refined - not raw ore.

rowanthepreacher
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #59 on: March 03, 2011, 02:36:39 AM »

But what rough, uncaring world is complete without a mine worked by dozens of miserable slaves?

Most of the copper to be scavenged would be long gone, although I doubt that our modern mining techniques would leave anything particularly men-with-picks compatible.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Print
Jump to: