Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Food for discussion: IRC rules  (Read 3204 times)
mvBarracuda
Admin
Community member

View Profile Email
« on: January 15, 2011, 04:18:50 AM »

As we had issues with racism on the IRC channel yesterday (not sure if it was meant to be funny), I've written down some rules as food for discussion.

While I generally think that we shouldn't play IRC police too much, there are some possible violations we should actually call the people out for. Otherwhise the tone in IRC will deteriorate. Let me know what you think about these rule proposals: http://wiki.parpg.net/IRC#Rules
Technomage
Admin
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2011, 12:58:08 PM »

The two-strikes rule is quite fair, and I think that the guidelines about civil discussion are spot on.

I agree that racism and other hateful speech should result in an immediate ban. PARPG is made up of an open, inclusive community and we will not tolerate racism, sexism, homophobia or any other kind of hateful speech.

I, for one, would like to reaffirm the solidarity of our community and my personal responsibility as a member of this community to ensure that others are treated with respect and dignity.

"There are more atoms in the period at the end of this sentence than you can count in a lifetime." Science is awesome.

zenbitz
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2011, 04:02:37 AM »

I think the rules are good.  I think we can extend the "no racism" to "no hate speech". 

Who can kick people on IRC?  I probably should have exercised some authority... I such a softy.

We are not denying them an ending...
We are denying them a DISNEY ending - Icelus
Q_x
Admin
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2011, 09:25:02 AM »

I posted it twice on IRC, I think I should post it here as well.

We are good, polite people. We are making games, it is our hobby. Some of us may be here to find a job in game industry easier, which probably means that someone started his/her rat race from here. I don't care, and lets say it is still a hobby.
Now, the question is how to do this, being motivated without wasting too much time or energy.
The other thing is - we are not the only indie project out there. Some of the projects even pay their developers. A little. We can sent the guys who don't fit to our model there. Or we can go there by ourselves as well.

I'm not pro or against having X or Y warnings before someone gets banned. I don't like banning people really.

But, I'm really interested in maintaining polite and good, focused and mindful discussion. Not without entertainment, but still within some extra boundaries.  Trolling/netiquete abuse will affect not only one person, but whole team.

If someone sees how we operate, understands that, and still abuses the unwritten rules that help us to operate quickly and effectively, I assume he or she will not push the project forward. So nothing good is to be expected. Only waste of time and energy.

@censorship - my rules are straight and conservative. We are making here something. If a piece of literature made by someone does not help in anything - it should be removed. This is not a free publishing place that anyone can jump in, write or show something unrelated and pop out. Not pushing things forward = deletion. And I'd rather delete things (or, as now, move it to the "forum posts krankenhouse") than modify it in any way or act as if nothing had happened.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2011, 12:58:16 PM by mvBarracuda » Logged

mvBarracuda
Admin
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2011, 01:11:32 PM »

I think the rules are good.  I think we can extend the "no racism" to "no hate speech". 

Who can kick people on IRC?  I probably should have exercised some authority... I such a softy.
No hate speech rule is fine with me. Anyone willing to actually word that at the wiki? A native speaker does a better job in this regard.

Concerning admin rights at the IRC channel: right now I'm the only one who has such rights. The other developers just need to register an freenode account via nickserv and log into the account. As soon as they're logged in, I can give them proper channel rights as well. Just ping me on IRC and I'll fill you in about the details.

I posted it twice on IRC, I think I should post it here as well.

We are good, polite people. We are making games, it is our hobby. Some of us may be here to find a job in game industry easier, which probably means that someone started his/her rat race from here. I don't care, and lets say it is still a hobby.
Now, the question is how to do this, being motivated without wasting too much time or energy.
The other thing is - we are not the only indie project out there. Some of the projects even pay their developers. A little. We can sent the guys who don't fit to our model there. Or we can go there by ourselves as well.

I'm not pro or against having X or Y warnings before someone gets banned. I don't like banning people really.

But, I'm really interested in maintaining polite and good, focused and mindful discussion. Not without entertainment, but still within some extra boundaries.  Trolling/netiquete abuse will affect not only one person, but whole team.

If someone sees how we operate, understands that, and still abuses the unwritten rules that help us to operate quickly and effectively, I assume he or she will not push the project forward. So nothing good is to be expected. Only waste of time and energy.

@censorship - my rules are straight and conservative. We are making here something. If a piece of literature made by someone does not help in anything - it should be removed. This is not a free publishing place that anyone can jump in, write or show something unrelated and pop out. Not pushing things forward = deletion. And I'd rather delete things (or, as now, move it to the "forum posts krankenhouse") than modify it in any way or act as if nothing had happened.
I think the general point is quite reasonable: we're investing our free time to create something and some people seem to have a hard time to pick up one the mood of the team/project.

On the other side: we shouldn't delete any posts at the forums, besides some special cases that we should agree upon first. We've set up a new dumpyard board and we can move troll postings there.

Using a dumpyard has two advantages over directly deleting postings:
1. You can avoid the whole "censooooooooorship!!!" debate. This works pretty well for some forums I regularly visit: NMA, RPGCodex, Computerbase.de
2. The dumped posts (as in: moved to the dumpyard) can actually underline our project culture. Newcomers who register at the forums might read this board out of interest and will get a good idea what kind of posts are appreciated and which ones are likely to be dumped.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: