Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Bulk and its representation  (Read 3197 times)
Q_x
Admin
Community member

View Profile
« on: December 23, 2010, 07:28:59 PM »

We have had some serious chat today.
There are some initial things that we agreed upon:
Items will be represented as icons. All will have same size to avoid playing "inventory tetris" and having things like 300 squares big.
We assumed that when changing containers (like holding basket in hand instead of a weapon),  bulk is more a function of possessed containers, not stats.

We were able to propose three solutions:
1. Do not care about containers in particular, just add overall capacity. Visualize and count bulk same way as weight is counted and visualized (bars or dots or numbers)
Pros: its easy and simple
Cons: its maybe too easy and unrealistic. In bigger backpack you should be able to carry two bikes at once.
2. Taking care for "simplified" representation of bulk and containers, yet still kept out of player's view.  Engine may check if X items of biggest bulk can be fitted into containers, where X is the number of containers. Or to calculate biggest possible bulk for a single item. Yet still all the inventory behaves like one container.
Pros: This basically adds a little bit of realism into the above.
Cons: This may lead to player frustration, cause "second bike is supposed to fit here". It will have to pop up message, that causes player to loose time and focus.
3. Placing every item manually or by "smart button" in its target container. Also with "summarized view" and sorting.
Pros: Realism and extra features.
Cons: This will lead to managing inventory as a boring sub-game. We would need some extra drag and drop solution to implement this without opening n containers to sort things out. Plus lots of buttons, things like sorting stuff (its probably not an "rucksack problem", but its close)

And here is the question for you, zenbitz (as well as for others here):
Which approach would work best for the game?

Plus extra:
Will placing things like frying pan in the backpack allow to survive otherwise lethal shot? Or placing heavy items in cargo (lower) pockets will lead to easier/faster exhaustion? Will it be reasonable to do this kind of things somehow in the first or second approach to bulk and containers?

qubodup
Admin
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2010, 01:11:56 AM »

Notes:
we = mainly q_x and me, later q_x and barra (please correct me if I'm wrong!)
Log: 2010-12-23T14:59:15 to 2010-12-23T18:34:14 in http://logs.unknown-horizons.org/%23parpg/%23parpg.2010-12-23.log

The in the frying pan scenario the frying pan serves as armor. The question I had was whether this 'inventory content affects armor' is supposed to be part of PARPG and if yes, whether it should be for a certain direction (backpack=back), because if yes to both, then this would require inventory micromanagement I'm afraid.
Q_x
Admin
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2010, 08:51:19 AM »

I was thinking more of a scenario of "being hit in a backpack" and consequences, like:
breaking/destroying container or stuff in it
detonating explosive things
contaminating food with spilled liquids (if you want to keep your fish with waste oil in the same place)

In general there is lots of uncool thing that might happen when a projectile, like a crossbow bolt, hits a backpack, this are just most obvious. Apart, of course, from being hit in a frying pan, which saves life.

mvBarracuda
Admin
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2010, 04:53:10 PM »

While I think that some additional realism in the field of inventory management is a nice touch, PARPG is not an inventory simulation game. At the end of the day we still want to develope an RPG that's fun to play. Therefore I propose to not implement any ultra realistic inventory mechanics, that might add nothing to the game in terms of fun but are just tedious.

Obviously some feedback from zenbitz on the topic would help as well :-)
Q_x
Admin
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2010, 06:14:33 PM »

No one of us voted for the simulative approach, really. It was most straightforward thing for me to came up with, and I will not insist the idea to be good or reasonable to implement.
I just wonder how to implement some elements of it so that inventory handling is more realistic, yet still not restricting player too much, and be easy to use.
And I'm still not 100% sure what use of containers would be good for the game.
But yes, I'm also waiting to hear what zenbitz would say.

zenbitz
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2010, 07:51:01 PM »

3. is clearly stupid.

I thought we had a reasonable 2-like system worked out... have to re-read the forum thread on this.

I am amused by having your backpack be armor.  If I can think of a reasonably way to handle this I will add it.

We are not denying them an ending...
We are denying them a DISNEY ending - Icelus
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: