Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Notebook GUI concept - some decisions are needed (feedback needed)  (Read 6068 times)
Q_x
Admin
Community member

View Profile
« on: November 13, 2010, 08:42:49 PM »

Hi!
I have a question.
I pretty much have all the things ready to make a notebook illustration. I wanted to start making the actual notebook, but I lack an important piece of information. Since things will may change and are not urgent - I can easily wait any time with getting the answer.

Namely: in what resolution I should prepare the actual notebook? Minimal would be probably something like 1024x768 (for fullscreen XGA, which is smallest resolution we are planning to support AFAIR). But, since it is better to downscale, than to upscale things...

Any clues at this time? or should I wait untill thinggs will crystalize a little bit more?
Or maybe we are targetting something smaller, like 1024x600?
Or maybe I just should do 1400x1050 heavyweight multi-layered file (that is the biggest size I can view here in 100%) and hope nothing bigger won't be needed? (.png with this alone would have like 3MB, its a considerable weight and it would take like 15MB of RAM to display it, which is not little also)

Any suggestions?

Q_x
Admin
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2010, 07:46:41 PM »

After some chatting, the following is born:
http://wiki.parpg.net/File:Notebookmockup_copy.png
I will add any number of cards sticking out needed. I plan also to stick some more paper into the notebook.

mvBarracuda
Admin
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2010, 03:32:45 PM »

Notebook looks good to me :-) Nice work Q_x! I think it pretty much looks like I imagined the ingame GUI.

Some minor nitpicks / feedback:
Right now the notebook looks rather "flat", it would be great if we could achieve some kind of depth effect so it would look more like a book with quite some pages instead of a 10 page notebook. I've done a notebook scan myself yesterday and although the notebook has about 80 pages, it still looks flat in my scans. I guess that's caused by the scanner cover that's puts pressure on the notebook so it looks flat instead of like an opened book.

Another nitpick: the slighty damaged parts of the paper at the upper right corner of the right page. As you can see: the upper left corner of the left page is undamaged. So in theory, if you go back two pages, you should actually see an undamaged right corner of the right page (as it's the same page that was on the left before). I think there is no easy way to avoid such consistency issues if you go for a wear and tear look for the notebook so I think that the two possible options to cope with this are:
1. Reduce extreme wear and tear so it's not eye catching that some pages should be damaged in the same place as others are
2. Damage the left corner of the left page as well so it's consistent

But as said: these are just nitpicks and I think we're on the right track with the GUI. Great work Q_x :-)
Q_x
Admin
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2010, 04:28:21 PM »

http://wiki.parpg.net/File:Notebookstats.png

now with added stats Smiley

zenbitz
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2010, 06:01:48 PM »

heh cool

We are not denying them an ending...
We are denying them a DISNEY ending - Icelus
mvBarracuda
Admin
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2010, 07:06:08 PM »

Looks good to me :-) I dig it!
qubodup
Admin
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2010, 05:30:03 PM »

Or maybe we are targetting something smaller, like 1024x600?
I would prefer 1024x600 resolution (common Netbook standard, my Eee PC has this resolution for example) to be supported.

It would be great if the GUI would resize* (rather than scale) to have longer lists on bigger resolutions.

* there is some f3 mod which resizes the inventory and illustrates well what I mean, but I can't find it.
mvBarracuda
Admin
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2010, 08:08:13 PM »

The truth is: a resolution independent yet seamless GUI might be pretty hard to achieve for any non trivial background textures. The programmers surely know this field better than I, but I propose to rather stick to a fixed size minimum GUI resolution and implement it. AFAIR no currently active programmer is really familiar with FIFE's GUI system, so this topic will need some research to be done down the line.
Q_x
Admin
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2010, 09:05:40 PM »

I have 1400x1050 pix now, yet I'm always pushing towards supporting 1024x600 as the smallest resolution we should care about.

Scalable GUI, at least from my part of duties (providing textures, buttons, icons and stuff like that) is just more complicated, yet still doable. Even with things like stains - I'm still willing to try making the notebook to look really filthy.

Problems I can see now:

Making buttons or button-like elements look good in all 72 to 120 ppi resolutions
Making scalable textured buttons
Placing things like notebook corners, cards edges, cropping such things to a given size
Scaling font sizes dynamically

Possible ways out of some hectic situations include making graphics partially as glyphs of font (this will result in scalable vector art rendered in one colour). I will be working on font to put some more chars and clear out space glyph (small "a" letter sits there Cheesy)

« Last Edit: December 21, 2010, 08:21:12 AM by Q_x » Logged

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: