Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: a practice drawing i did  (Read 4117 times)
comscar
Community member

View Profile Email
« on: September 16, 2010, 06:01:10 AM »

i watched a tutorial video from CGworkshop and surprisingly learned a lot from a single video.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

any thoughts/input? surely there's room for improvement
Gaspard
Community member

The Blackest Heart

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2010, 07:08:41 AM »

Hm. Maybe you should look at more tutorial vids ,)

This is definitely an improvement over what I've seen you do before. You've got humongous issues with drawing, I'd start with the human anatomy - that is just something you have to learn. Take a book - there are free e-books or PDFs available of old anatomy books online.

And then there's the understanding of colour and light and how light works - yes, the physics. That comes with practice and looking at nature and looking at the work of masters, be them old, very old or ancient. For colour I'd look at impressionists any time, but I guess it depends what your goal is.

Is your goal realistic art ?

PS. We should try to keep this art board for PAPRG-related artwork and discussions. Post-apoc would be OK, but that is also a stretch if it has nothing to do with PARPG. I recommend that you visit the conceptart.org  forums. Start a sketchbook there and ask for critique or go to the help forums there. If you show effort and work hard you will get decent to very good advice on how to continue and what to do.
Q_x
Admin
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2010, 09:54:17 AM »

I'm really, really impressed Smiley

I totally agree with Gaspard: Comscar, the anatomy for artists differs from the anatomy for doctors (the doctors are concentrated more on small things, like nerves, they also take lot of effort to describe an internal structure, while artists need volume, shape and proportions rather than "how many layers does human skin have" type of information), but if you need an inspiration, take this:
 http://www.nlm.nih.gov/exhibition/historicalanatomies/browse.html
I love it so much I have an full-size offline mirror Cheesy And there are some really decent things there Smiley

The other thing - before you'll dive into anatomy, maybe it would help you to draw any complex volume-having things, like cityscapes or interiors?

« Last Edit: September 16, 2010, 10:00:07 AM by Q_x » Logged

Gaspard
Community member

The Blackest Heart

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2010, 11:04:22 AM »

The other thing - before you'll dive into anatomy, maybe it would help you to draw any complex volume-having things, like cityscapes or interiors?

Hint: closest interiour is your own house - you bedroom, kitchen, even bathroom and toilet, livingroom if you have one (I don't  Cheesy). Lay in the big things first (just like drafting), then start shading the big darks in, then find halftones, then start working on the details. This summer I personally spent two months painting an interiour. It's not that big, slightly off two feet square, but man did it take time. I think I repainted it seven or eight times - yes that includes details in places, because I didn't get the big shapes right first and went to the good parts too early...
Q_x
Admin
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2010, 12:23:58 PM »

I don't have a bathroom/toilet. "The Big Ear" resides behind a curtain in our kitchen's corner Cheesy

comscar
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2010, 01:55:59 PM »

hey thanks for the input. yeah, i gotta practice more on anatomy. i just noticed how long his torso is :\

i've been doing some practice with lighting like gaspard mentioned. that and trying to define facial features without using hard lines

doesn't look very good yet, but eh...
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: