Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: My building experiance  (Read 2589 times)
Domtron_Vox
Community member

View Profile Email
« on: July 26, 2010, 07:13:39 AM »

Hi all

I found PARPG before techdemo 1 was finished and I had gotten FIFE and PARPG, built FIFE and was able to run PARPG. But for some reason the next time I updated FIFE I couldn't get it to work(I'm stuck with windows vista *black* which caused numeruse errors in it's self). I figured if I couldn't get it to work on my own I probably couldn't help much.

Well recently I had some dental work and was stuck at home for 5 days so I decided to get Eclipse IDE running. As I was looking for plugins I found a c/c++ plugin and thought to myself "if I could get that working I might be able to get FIFE to compile". Well that idea failed but in the process I found that sCons would build FIFE on windows quite well.

Once FIFE was built I tried running PARPG and the FIFE demos and found out I needed python 2.6. once I downloaded that all the demos but Reo worked and PARPG still didn't work. It told me fife.extensions.fife_settings didn't exists. after fiddling with it and comparing one of the demos with PARPG I found that adding this block of code fix the problem:

<code>
fife_path = os.path.join('..','..','engine','python')
if os.path.isdir(fife_path) and fife_path not in sys.path:
   sys.path.insert(0,fife_path)
</code>

I eventually figured out that it was not looking in FIFE/engine/python/fife like I thought but in the 26python/lib/sitepakege/fife and that was missing half the files that were in FIFE/engine/... so I copyed and pasted and it fix that error. I was curious why that block of code was left out and thought you might want to know it fixes a potential build error. Any way to continue(I'm all most done:P), I currently have this error in both PARPG and Reo:

<code>
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:\FIFE\PARPG\game\run.py", line 23, in <module>
    from scripts.parpg import PARPGApplication
  File "C:\FIFE\PARPG\game\scripts\parpg.py", line 19, in <module>
    from scripts import gamemodel
  File "C:\FIFE\PARPG\game\scripts\gamemodel.py", line 22, in <module>
    from objects import createObject
  File "C:\FIFE\PARPG\game\scripts\objects\__init__.py", line 20, in <module>
    import actors
  File "C:\FIFE\PARPG\game\scripts\objects\actors.py", line 31, in <module>
    settings_gui_xml="")
  File "C:\Python26\lib\site-packages\fife\extensions\fife_settings.py", line 145, in __init__
    self.loadSettings()
  File "C:\Python26\lib\site-packages\fife\extensions\fife_settings.py", line 202, in loadSettings
    self._xmlserializer = SimpleXMLSerializer(os.path.join(self._appdata, self._settings_file))
  File "C:\Python26\lib\site-packages\fife\extensions\serializers\simplexml.py", line 53, in __init__
    self.load(self._file)
  File "C:\Python26\lib\site-packages\fife\extensions\serializers\simplexml.py", line 76, in load
    self._validateTree()
  File "C:\Python26\lib\site-packages\fife\extensions\serializers\simplexml.py", line 214, in _validateTree
    raise InvalidFormat("Invalid tag in " + self._file + ". Expected Module, got: " + c.tag)
InvalidFormat: Invalid tag in .\settings.xml. Expected Module, got: FullScreen
</code>

If any one knows how to fix that please tell otherwise I'll just keep hacking away at it.

I'm quite new to programming in general I've been doing it for 3 years and can't seem to get a full project done on my own. I'm hoping to be a help to the PARPG team.

Sorry for the long rambling story It's 2:00 AM and I can't get to sleep Tongue .
Beliar
Community member

KarstenBock@gmx.net
View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2010, 10:34:41 AM »

Hi,

1. Do you have the latest fife svn version? Thats needed for PARPG to run correctly.
2. Did you follow these instructions: http://wiki.parpg.net/Download#SVN
3. If you did follow the instructions fife should be installed into python and PARPG should find it.
4. About that error: Did you have an old version of PARPG and updated that? Then you probably have an outdated settings.xml file in that directory that seems to still use the old format. This file is created at the first start of PARPG, and you need to delete it to recreate it. Note the file to delete is settings.xml not settings-dist.xml.

Wing IDE - http://wingide.com/wingide - Free for OS use
Domtron_Vox
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2010, 01:18:05 PM »

1. yes.
2. yes.
3. It was installed into python 2.5 originally but at some point all the demos switched to 2.6 so I had to install that and rebuild fife and it needed a little tweaking but it now finds all the imported modules. I was just wondering whether that block of code should be in the run.py of PARPG.
4. Thank you that fixed that error right up.
Beliar
Community member

KarstenBock@gmx.net
View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2010, 01:41:09 PM »

About 3:
I checked it and its in the demos because they can assume that they are in a specific folder structure, we don't want to assume that one has the fife directory two steps up from run.py.

Wing IDE - http://wingide.com/wingide - Free for OS use
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: