Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Serious cleaning needed - Graphics department  (Read 4785 times)
Q_x
Admin
Community member

View Profile
« on: July 24, 2010, 07:45:26 PM »

Bart's post on OGA stunningly made me realize the huge mess grown around the management in Graphics Department.
I was literally unable to locate any up-to-date todo list. What lists was there? Not updated, obsolete, doubling each other. I'm unable to find all the lists, I'm unable to update most of it. Mess and badness.

My proposition of the new order is like this:

1. The wiki gathers, (when needed - separate for the 3D and the 2D artists):
the tools and preparation information, all valuable technical information
the style guide
introductory workflow information, so that the new person, when stepping in, will find all he/she needs, with explanations
the collection of links to forums and trac queries
our media gallery
some plans for the future
temporary things, when filled or outdated, should be quickly marked as PERSONAL (pages to be left alone), OUTDATED or COMPLETE

2. The forums
place for temporary discussion
most important reminders and general information pinned at the top as long as they are actual

3. The trac
to be our only, single and full todo list. I can write trac ticket filling guide for writers if needed.

Some of the lists may exists in wiki and forums, but they should be marked clearly as a temporary/single purpose/personal list, should point right trac tickets and should include link to a general workflow article (something like "This is a temporary todo list for the purpose. For the general todo list or instructions, please refer to wiki:XYZ page).

Trac is easy tool to handle, definitely easier than wiki Wink And it does TODO-like information management really easy.

If you have any pros/contras, any thoughts - please share ASAP. I will be absent for a week, I wanted to start the cleaning at 1.08. I only browsed through trac and filled/cleand/closed/left note wherever it was possible. It looks like many things are waiting to be moved to SVN  Smiley
« Last Edit: July 25, 2010, 10:49:16 AM by Q_x » Logged

Gaspard
Community member

The Blackest Heart

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2010, 09:48:38 AM »

that is wonderfullioso !

I've got to go over trac though - the previous time I tried to make sense of it I misunderstood it completely.

In the Wiki I believe there should be some parallels between the writing dept and graphics dept, too. Every time I was looking for the tech demo characters etc I had to look for them for several minutes.. can't really say why I didn't add a shortcut anywhere...
Q_x
Admin
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2010, 10:56:08 AM »

Agreed with linking graphics with writing, looks like the quest design should be a little bit more interdisciplinary kind of work. Eg. writers can/should demand some concept art or portrait during writing (based on writer's description, I guess).

Edit:
I just started, hopefully it will be ready next week.
http://wiki.parpg.net/Department:Graphics-proposal
« Last Edit: August 03, 2010, 06:40:35 PM by Q_x » Logged

Q_x
Admin
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2010, 08:02:01 PM »

Again on this:
http://wiki.parpg.net/Department:Graphics-proposal

I just have to made some minor things mentioned in the TODO section (at the end of the page)
If there will be no one protesting, I'll move the page as an official department introductory page tomorrow.

I've marked two lists in the wiki as personal or obsolete kind, unsticked two forums threads in our department. I've also mocked up our style guide, taking some posts taken out from the forums, and adding some pictures (I did minor cleanup of my own post, but I left the two posts before mine untouched).
I'm still feeling like a child in the fog with this whole effort that has been done and is yet to be made. I hope I won't spoil the job, destroy someone's else effort or make you feel sad/sorry/angry/tired.

I'll be offline for weekend, next week I'll move all possible things from opened tickets to the code tree and close all the graphics tickets that can be closed.

EDIT:
done
EDIT:
Totally done
« Last Edit: August 09, 2010, 05:52:35 PM by Q_x » Logged

Gaspard
Community member

The Blackest Heart

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2010, 06:24:01 AM »

Ah. I have no complaints. This looks very nice at first glance. I might give some feedback in the future, but when I don't - consider that as an asspat from me : )
Q_x
Admin
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2010, 10:44:48 AM »

Happy to hear you like it, thanks Smiley

mvBarracuda
Admin
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2010, 09:15:37 AM »

Deleted the page as requested, the new version can be found here: