Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Still Happening?  (Read 8208 times)
meinmartini
Community member

View Profile Email
« on: May 03, 2010, 06:02:48 PM »

Hey, guys. Has the project sort of stalled at this point? I haven't noticed much activity on the forums (I know I don't post much, but I do lurk every other day). Or is there mostly activity happening on IRC?

Let's fight some ballerinas.
mvBarracuda
Admin
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2010, 06:21:28 PM »

Nope, not really.

I guess we have to accept that the project is basically stalled until somebody steps up again and tries to revive it.
shihonage
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2010, 08:55:15 PM »

I keep checking for more design thoughts on here and instead only hear the crickets. Blarg.

If you let the code get cold, it's hard to pick it up again.

Developer of Shelter - Fallout-influenced isometric CRPG. Videos: gameplay_11/08 (re-annotated), introteaser_01/09.
mvBarracuda
Admin
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2010, 09:34:38 AM »

Yep, I definately agree with the statement shihonage. It's really a question of available alternatives though. I simply don't have the time on my hands to focus on PARPG so somebody else would have to take over at this point. The open source nature might help to attract new interested developers as it's rather easy to check out the current status of the project.

I've advertized that the project is looking for a new project manager at the blog, but unfortunately there has been few to none serious interest in giving it a shot.
zenbitz
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2010, 09:21:03 PM »

I am not sure letting the code get cold is the worst idea.

I have basically "lost" my Parpg heavy commute time because my office moved.  I still have a ~1 hr commute but I have to leave later and arrive in the office earlier... so I am working real work on the train more.

We are not denying them an ending...
We are denying them a DISNEY ending - Icelus
egalor
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2010, 07:44:20 AM »

Hey, is there anybody who could make an overview of the whole work done up to the present moment?

I would be interested to see some kind of an extensive summary table, where every major aspect of the parpg would be covered, with the current progress summarized.

For example:

1) Programming (engine, tools, etc.): [what has been done + what could a designer do with an engine (like could he draw a map already?)]
2) Game mechanics: [summary of the draft proposal mechanics, I believe that of zenbitz's for a start].
3) Art: [what has been drawn/rendered by various parpg contributors].
4) Setting development: [story of the game world in brief].
5) Plot: [main plot proposal(s)].

Anyone could handle that?
« Last Edit: May 12, 2010, 07:45:55 AM by egalor » Logged
Q_x
Admin
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2010, 09:45:39 AM »

Its a matter of getting people and filling up some contetnt, just dunno what the details you would like to get.
If you have any particular idea:
Start a wiki page.
Make empty places for the information you need or question to answer.
Link it somewhere in the wiki.
Give us know on the forums so that we know we can fill ti up.
No one is able to view the state of the whole thing at once - someone coded, other cared for the copyrights, another did 3D animations, media gallery, PR and propaganda, music, graphics, I hope you get it - there is no single person you can ask and know it all. I'm just keeping an eye, but I dunno how is the object database state of things now.
And - this is not a vaporware - we are still here, just lacking any management or coordination. There has been even a revision made, last week I think.
If maybe we can handle it in this thread:

2D art
There are ready:
some concept art pieces
some inventory items
some good portrait art
some splash screens
enough of new GUI elements to make a progress or a mockup, there was no demand for even a half of a button more to be prepared, so I dropped making it when maximinus, who was willing to cooperate, left the team.
some textures and tiles
the intro screen (a.k.a. the main menu)

What holds work here:
There is no particular demand for anything in 2D to be made AFAIK. I'm ready to draw any 2D thing if lack of it holds the progress in PARPG.

egalor
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2010, 09:56:32 AM »

Thanks for your reply, Q_x.

there is no single person you can ask and know it all.

I believe, this is where the problem lies. Parpg should have at least one single person who perhaps doesn't know how to code, or draw or write things better than the others, but who'd keep track of the achieved progress in every domain in detail. And even more than that: who could alone push the project forward at least for a little while.

Do I presume there is no such person who could outline the progress and exact needs on all five aspects I mentioned? If there is none yet, parpg's first concern should be to start looking for one. Does it mean that manager position mvBarracuda speaks about?
egalor
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2010, 09:59:02 AM »

I'm ready to draw any 2D thing if lack of it holds the progress in PARPG.

Hmm... Tiles?
Q_x
Admin
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2010, 11:37:55 AM »

Yes, this is exactly the management problem, no one coordinates here. We can chat, agree, discuss, even make some important decisions. We can easily overlook any major problems, and things are getting slowly.

Tiles: This should be rendered by 3D artists, with our decent rendering setup, taking this approach will easily avoid 90% of erratic results. I've been unable to understand what the exact tile size or mask should be used, so a working particular item should be also a good thing to start with - maybe the parking tile set I've been working on works correctly, so that I can rely on it.
But - when there is *really* any particular tile set needed, holding development, I will surely make it, just tell me, with any level of detail, what is needed, not just "tiles" (in fact the "everyday inventory items" are more important IMHO).
Tiles - sure, I've been doing this as a last thing done here, like with 50% of what I did - I have never seen it making its way to the game. Its not that i'm sad or "ungry". There seems to be a surplus of 2D things done, thats all.

« Last Edit: May 12, 2010, 11:46:32 AM by Q_x » Logged

egalor
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2010, 11:59:27 AM »

50% of what I did - I have never seen it making its way to the game.

Why not? Were they bad?

BTW, I always thought that map tiles are always 2d: basically a flat texture (I mean, why would we need a 3d artist for that).

Could you please point me where I can look at the compendium of 2d map tiles available up to now?
Q_x
Admin
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2010, 01:53:08 PM »

G, dunno why r u drilling the tiles subject so deep.
If tiles are flat - basically all in the game can be flat.
From my standpoint the tiles are made isometric manner, so I suppose them to be rendered. And more - the tile should contain things like rocks, uneven terrain, structure, and such things are supposed to be consistent with the overall world light, some bizarre qualities, like level of detail, and so on. Third thing - the tiles are not square, but diamond-shaped. When rendering it in Blender/3Dmax you got it right at start, with 2D approach you have to guess which pixels are inside the diamond, and which not (or you have to have a good source). There has been a little mess with tile size just before Barra's departure, and I'm not sure if everything is fine and what size is used ATM.
Again, I'm not angry or upset, just making all things straight and bright as quickly, as I can - I'm during my working hours.
You find all the tiles in the game snapshot (try to search for .png files in game folder) - if they are not there - there is too much places to look - forums and trac will make a good start, but even when unused - everything should be in game
« Last Edit: May 12, 2010, 01:56:01 PM by Q_x » Logged

egalor
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2010, 02:24:05 PM »

Yeah, it seems right now. Thanks for the enlightenment, dude Smiley

I have seen the tiles on the forum or elsewhere, but - aren't they the first thing when it comes to building maps? That's why I'm pushing this, trying to clear this subject for myself. If that is so, then we definitely need an easily accessible library of them in the Media section.

Thanks for your patience Wink
Q_x
Admin
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2010, 02:45:09 PM »

Well, you could ask Zenbitz or Shevy how to do the maps here. I've seen the editor, but thats about all, no clues how to use it Cheesy.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: