Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: I'll be looking over the code base...  (Read 3046 times)
John Colburn
Community member

View Profile
« on: March 09, 2010, 10:41:28 PM »

So I'd really like to help with programming on PARPG, but I don't know enough about FIFE or the existing code to just start making changes. I'm going to start looking over the code and trying to get a feel for what it has and what it still needs. I don't want to start making changes that will get rejected or redone later because that just wastes everybody's time.

I'm posting this to the forum just because I want others to know that I'm active and what I'm trying to do. I don't have much experience working with teams; 95% of my programming time has been spent working solo on personal projects. I know there's an IRC channel and stuff, but you'll probably see me more on the forum.

I'd also like to ask: While looking through the code, if I see anything I think is wrong or should otherwise be changed, who should I tell and how? Should I just go ahead and make trac tickets? Should I post about it on the forum first? I'd like to document and clarify any "problems" I find long before I try to actually fix anything, so it'd be great if someone could tell me how I should do that on this project.
mvBarracuda
Admin
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2010, 10:47:48 PM »

Slightly related:
http://parpg.boxbox.org/

Great way to get familiar with the code.
zenbitz
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2010, 01:24:24 AM »

John - we are sort of lacking a functional head programmer now, so you will have to be self directed.

since you have already checked Trac, you could start with that stuff.

If you really hate some part of the code, just make a forum post and rant about it.  If  no one defends it for a couple of days, go ahead and slaughter it.  But write unittests.

We are not denying them an ending...
We are denying them a DISNEY ending - Icelus
John Colburn
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2010, 02:46:04 AM »

Self directed is fine. As I said I haven't really worked with a team before so it's nothing new. I looked at the trac tickets and that's part of why I decided I would have to start by just reading the code; I couldn't find a ticket that I would be comfortable working on immediately. Most of the tickets are rather broad and call for changes that touch lots of code or touch fairly complex code. It's likely if I just threw myself at any of the listed problems I would wind up breaking something. I don't want to start a task unless I'm sure I know what's going to be involved.

At any rate, thanks for the feedback. I'll post more as I go through the code, I'm sure.
przemo_li
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2010, 09:43:48 AM »

well you can also use "svn blame filename_you_want_to_change"
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: