Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: towards feature-full GUI  (Read 2622 times)
Q_x
Admin
Community member

View Profile
« on: March 13, 2010, 07:38:04 PM »

Sorry for posting in other backyard than I'm supposed to.

We need full-featured GUI, badly. This may be part of "GUI overhaul" mess.
I'm not much into, sorry for poofing our TODO like a baloon with things unrelated to my duty.

I've chatted with chew-ie today, he is the developer of zero-projekt.
I'm not much into programming. I can read code, I can write code, I even can manipulate video or do software audio synthesis. But I don't have slightest knowledge of architecture of project in PARPG size.
Chew-ie said its not FIFE or pychan what should care about widgets like animated buttons or custom-looking frames, but PARPG.
So - do you feel if pychan is crippled as I'm feeling?

If not, we would need (easy, with time) such things like:

Animated buttons (four states, two animations: plain <=animation1=> hover <=animation2=> pushed and fourth state: disabled)

Customizable progress bars (n left or top pixels of animation 1 and m following pixels of animation 2)

Stretchable/scalable buttons (bitmap scalable + text in fixed size)

and less important thins like customizable skin-able widget frames or fullscreen fade-in fade-out effects.

What chew-ie suggested also:
my proposal: make a gui design document first
Zero had .. uhm... 3 different GUI concepts so far
 .. until we realised that a game gui is about more then just cool looking buttons
So we packed everything gui graphic related into blender to get a maximum of flexibility there
The XML for the basic structure is the next step - which should only define "the outer limits" (*g*) - but not define every single detail
You have pychans layout engine which can support you - so no need to set absolute positions for every single widget

As I said - I can write down explicit set of objects and its relations/properties needed from my POV that will make the GUI will look allright, but I'm not skilled enough to dress it in code that don't need to be rewritten just afterwards (if I'm able to do it at all).

mvBarracuda
Admin
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2010, 10:14:31 AM »

Chew-ie said its not FIFE or pychan what should care about widgets like animated buttons or custom-looking frames, but PARPG.
So - do you feel if pychan is crippled as I'm feeling?
Hopefully one of the programmers can take a closer look to get an idea in which situations we'll end up implementing GUI functionality on our own on top of pychan. I don't know the library enough to comment on that. This said: I think it's rather natural that you'll end up writing game-specific GUI code quite often in game development.

Here's the related main menu GUI implementation ticket btw:
http://parpg-trac.cvsdude.com/parpg/ticket/152
b0rland
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2010, 09:12:23 AM »

I must confess that I don't have a good (or maybe even good enough) knowledge of pychan myself either. I've already run into one thing it didn't seem to support once when trying to make a more functional inventory screen. Pychan does look quite simplistic, but I think it's probably a good basis to extend upon and if it turns out otherwise, we aren't really very tightly bound to it. So I suggest you try to elaborate on the gui design idea if you wish and we'll later think about how it can be done with or without pychan.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: