Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Author Topic: PARPG Meeting (urgent and important)  (Read 23401 times)
Artifice
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2010, 08:11:18 PM »

Hey all, sorry for missing the meeting. I was actually up in time, but mother nature conspired against me. We're in the middle of a massive ice storm and I lost a tree early this morning that landed on the house. No major damage, but it was resting on the power lines, meaning I had to have the power cut until I could get it removed. Strangely, my wife was more concerned with this than me making the meeting..  Tongue

Anyway, hope it went well. At the very least I'm hopeful it will start a dialog on the boards about the details of what comes next.
shevegen
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 31, 2010, 02:10:45 AM »

One of the most important outcomes is that we will have a deadline for the techdemo.

10th March 2010

After that we'll push back the importance of the techdemo. Either we are done with it, or we aren't. But the main idea behind this is that we really need an influx of new active people AND a boost in activity for the whole project.

Cleaning away the bureaucracy in PARPG to make our life easier.
Gaspard
Community member

The Blackest Heart

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 31, 2010, 04:11:53 PM »

Hey guys. Yup, I missed the meeting too.
I'm on a school break right now, but I'm in my hometown away from a stable Internet connection and my tools - tablet and scanner and friend's camera.

In short - offline. I've been trying to make a comeback and managed to make a bunch of portraits in 24 hours a while back, but I had my exam session right after that and had to move apartments and juggle some other personal stuff at the same time. Interesting times indeed.

I have not lost interest in the project - I'm just that busy with everything else right now. My schedules change like the weather in Estonia and sometimes when I see a three-week free time zone something can come up unexpectedly and also during a very busy period I might find that I'm altogether done with all my assignments and tasks and thus able to contribute to the project  Undecided
maximinus
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #33 on: February 01, 2010, 02:16:12 AM »

Good to hear you're still around Gaspard. Could you possibly read the logs of the meeting and give your views on what we discussed?

Science is open-source religion
shevegen
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 01, 2010, 03:33:43 AM »

Yo Gaspard just take your time.

Cleaning away the bureaucracy in PARPG to make our life easier.
Gaspard
Community member

The Blackest Heart

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 01, 2010, 10:11:55 AM »

Heh, I've got a whole sentient bookmark tree for the PARPG web pages weaving itself through the wiki and forums and trac like a parasitic vegetable - whenever I go online with my own computer I see whether there's been any action here. I wouldn't go through all that trouble if I didn't give a damn ,)

I read through the logs yesterday and don't have too much to add. All in all there weren't too many people present, graphics dept. was absent altogether (at least during the meeting itself). So I'll just comment and repeat what's already been said. Just. In my own words.

The date that was set for the tech-demo sounds reasonable, taking into account the current liveliness of the whole community.

I do not want to say anything about the programming dept, I could wrap my mind around it if I took the time, but I've wisely avoided doing that so far. I'll try to revise the portraits I've made when I get back and pipe in with the GUI skins that seem to have finally gotten some attention again.

I'm starting to think that it's slowly becoming a problem that we don't have
a) any seriously interested Writers (yes, capital W) or
b) anybody else willing to spend all project-related time on that (which is very much unreasonable, because anybody who's still active has got their hands full with plenty of tasks already).
The story we're going for is of a difficult genre - it shouldn't be too epic, though it might take place in a pretty large setting, furthermore the setting itself is rather... specific. On our hands we've got a realistic quasi alt. history post apocalyptic world twenty years after the apocalypse itself :) Right now there are no writers. Aside from zenbitz, who's like the ├╝bermensch singlehandedly carrying the writing and mechanics dept's on his very shoulders, meanwhile contributing feedback and suggestions to other dept's as well. It would be cool if we could find a new member who'd be willing to add to the present location and build from that or even take the Writing reins altogether in their own hands and make it their domain.

The Project Leader and Manager position presently 'held' by mvBarracuda is an important one, but I see that shevegen is doing a great job keeping the forums and wiki going and ready to step up whenever we're going to need somebody to publish a bit of information on the blog or a demo or a.. whole finished game or whatever. I guess some tasks could be temporarily divided between other members of the team too. Advertising on online writing communities wouldn't be too bad of an idea and the Graphics dept. might need a wake-up call or some fresh and enthusiastic new blood !

About the lack of activity. If I remember well enough, then approx a year ago the same time-period was pretty quiet. People (myself included) were checking out the PARPG idea. Closer to the spring people started coming out of hibernation and their cryogenic fugues and became really active. Then we had another quiet time in late spring/early summer (exams for student folk and sun-stroke for others), then there was another really active and productive period (the graphic artists boom) and then we had the vacations in late summer and after that fall/autumn with school starting and weather changes and Internet blackouts and some more activity with downtimes during all the holidays. Aand we've got full circle.

Okay I think that was my er.. two cents
mvBarracuda
Admin
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #36 on: February 01, 2010, 01:42:22 PM »

Thanks for the detailed feedback gaspard. Unfortunately I don't have the time to reply to it to the extend that I would like to.

Btw.: here're the summarized results of the meeting:
http://wiki.parpg.net/Meeting:2010/01/30#Results
maximinus
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #37 on: February 01, 2010, 02:57:45 PM »

Same here Gaspard. I generally agree with your points. Lack of writers I partly feel is because there is a lack of game and a lack of tools. I think last year we showed that we could get something together, this year we need to concentrate on building the tools to help people make us a game.

Science is open-source religion
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Jump to: