Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: First time doing open source, very excited to join you guys  (Read 3680 times)
dhaggerfin
Community member

View Profile Email
« on: January 08, 2010, 03:27:26 AM »

Hi all!  I'm a 26 y/o CS graduate of Ohio State (Columbus, Ohio, US).  Most of the "real-world" experience I have is with .NET stuff, so I'm looking to build my C++/Python skills.  Most of my experience in those areas are from school projects, but I've got full confidence that I'll be able to manage that aspect just fine.

As the title says, I've never done open source stuff before, so I'll have a bit of a learning curve there.  Here's my plan:

1) Download code base + necessary packages/dependencies
2) Build the project
3) Play around in the game/sandbox a bit
4) Jump into the code until I get the general flow of the code
5) Start looking at tickets

I think it's a pretty decent plan, but let me know what you think.  

I have already run into one issue.  I've got the latest version of the code and have installed all dependencies as far as I can tell, but I'm still getting an error when I try to build with the command 'scons ext=1 && scons'.  Below is the error message.

Code:
Checking for openal_soft (using pkg-config)... no
Checking for openal_soft (using openal_soft-config)... no
Checking for C++ library openal_soft... no
required lib openal_soft not found :(

I'm running on Ubuntu 9.10, and my synaptic shows that libopenal1, libopenal-dbg, and libopenal-dev are all installed.  I've searched the Ubuntu forums to see if anyone else has had this issue, but I can't find anything.  Has anyone else run running Ubuntu seen this issue?

EDIT: Got that solved by installing libasound2-dev per this post: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=725727  

Thanks so much for having me, and I look forward to working with you folks.

Dave
« Last Edit: January 08, 2010, 04:02:13 AM by dhaggerfin » Logged
shevegen
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2010, 05:03:47 AM »

Hi there and welcome,

I think at this time we need more active python guys (programmers). Kaydeth seems to be away at least for now, he was more or less coordinating the programming department IMHO. If you know C++ as well and aren't afraid to have a look at the FIFE engine, that'll be even better in the long run.

In my opinion it would be best if you programmers could try to coordinate a bit with tasks. (PARPG was a bit sleepy the last ~2 or 3 weeks due to the holidays)

Cleaning away the bureaucracy in PARPG to make our life easier.
mvBarracuda
Admin
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2010, 03:13:07 PM »

Hola Dave :-) Nice to see you around here.

Your proposed steps to get involved give the impression that you actually took the time to read the wiki and to get an idea how the project works. That's a great starting point :-)

One note from my side: 99% of the code tasks are Python-related right now. There are C++ tasks in theory when it comes to customizing the FIFE engine, but in reality these tasks are first and foremost _very_ challenging (you would need a couple of weeks to wrap your head around the FIFE C++ code) and even more important: they're rather non-existant right now as FIFE has pretty much what we need for our first techdemo release.

It's a good idea in general to visit the IRC channel of the project at some point. Most of the active developers hang around in there and live communication is a great way to get to know each other and to answer any questions you (or we) might have. You can find more information about our IRC channel here:
http://wiki.parpg.net/IRC

In case you don't have an IRC client installed right now, you can connect to the channel in your normal web browser via this link:
http://irc.parpg.net/
dhaggerfin
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2010, 07:10:46 PM »

Thanks guys for the warm welcome!  I was able to play around in the program yesterday (although it was a bit choppy - fixed that this morning with a reinstall of my NVIDIA driver on Ubuntu).  Looks like a GREAT start and I'm very happy to jump in at this point where a lot still needs to be done. 

I did jump on IRC last night, and said hello but didn't get any response.  Not a big deal, I figured everyone was watching the National Championship game (I was!).   One question about that - I saw there were developer meetings scheduled.  I'm assuming those happen on the IRC chat, or is there another web-meeting type software you guys use?  Secondly, what's a IRC client do you prefer?  I'm using Pidgin, but it's less than desirable.

Tonight I'll fire up the code and start poking around.   Since you both mentioned the Python code, I'll start there.  See you guys in the trenches Smiley
shevegen
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2010, 01:15:24 AM »

I did jump on IRC last night, and said hello but didn't get any response.

I am usually quite IRC active, but 3 friends came over at night and we played some stuff (cardgames mostly). Afterwards I went to sleep.

Just stay on IRC for longer! Tongue

I saw there were developer meetings scheduled.  I'm assuming those happen on the IRC chat, or is there another web-meeting type software you guys use?

IRC is just really useful to exchange information and coordinate things.

Secondly, what's a IRC client do you prefer?  I'm using Pidgin, but it's less than desirable.

I use XCHAT. On Windows, you can use Silverex Xchat build. XCHAT reminds me a lot of mIRC, and I used mIRC for a long time. I tried to switch to stuff like weechat or some other client apps, but I am too much of a GUI guys finally. Xchat looks nice, it does the job, I am happy with it.

Since you both mentioned the Python code, I'll start there.

Also if you haven't yet, it would be good if you could watch the latest video of the game setup. It really helps to quickly see what will be missing for quest demo. (I am not sure if anyone has tried to get items from NPCs in quests, but it would be quite important to be able to carry these items)

maximinus
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2010, 08:31:06 AM »

I'm a programmer on most nights between 12am GMT and 4pm GMT (so, early morings for you, I think?). That's evening over here in China.

Science is open-source religion
shevegen
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2010, 05:58:08 AM »

Hey dhaggerfin, are you still around?

Just probing a bit. Maximinus seems to be back, but he could need a few new people helping him feel less alone. And I want to try to see if there is anything to do to make it easier for NEW people to gain a foothold into the project. ;-)

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: