Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Artifice - 3D Artist  (Read 8125 times)
Artifice
Community member

View Profile
« on: December 05, 2009, 08:24:49 PM »

Hey there! I found PARPG through your post on gamedev and would be interested in joining the project as an artist. I'm a long time fan of RPGs and the post apocalyptic setting in general (Fallout, etc) and I'm looking for a project to expand my skill set and build my portfolio on an actual game. I'm attracted to PARPG not only for the setting but also for the obvious attention to detail, planning and realistic goals. My previous experiences with modding/indie games has been with people that either don't have a clear plan or have unrealistic expectations, and I'd like to avoid those headaches this time around. I'm also looking for an active project, not one that has 1-2 semi-active people that rarely make progress.

A bit about me: I'm 33, live in the southern US and work days as a building contractor and remodeler. I'm a lifelong gamer, starting with the Atari 2600 in 1982 and have been doing PnP RPGing for nearly as long. I've been working with 3D off and on for about 10 years, but only seriously for the last two or so. I work mainly in 3ds Max, Zbrush and Mudbox, but have some experience with Maya, XSI and Modo. I unfortunately have no experience with Blender, which I see is the app of choice here, but I'm sure I could learn enough to convert models over if need be. My focus is mainly environmental art (props and architecture), though I have some limited experience with characters. I also do a lot of digital photography for texture sourcing. As I stated above, I'm looking for a stable project (which this seems to be) and am willing to put in plenty of time to contribute as much as I can. I believe that progress breeds progress, so hopefully anything I can produce will help inspire other people to produce as well, and vice versa.

I see that IRC seems to be where all the action is, so I'll hop on there when I can and see how I can get involved. I'm currently tackling a plumbing problem under my house, so it will probably tonight or tomorrow before I can get on. Until then, here's a link to some of my stuff if anyone is interested.

http://artifice76.deviantart.com/gallery/
Artifice
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2009, 08:30:23 PM »

Oops! Forgot to post what I did last night...

From Zeli's excellent concept art:

Screens from Zbrush, doesn't have the valve handle and stem (they're built in Max, just a bit delicate to hammer on). Just took it into Zbrush to beat it up a bit. Hopefully will have it textured and rendered in iso tonight.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2009, 08:40:36 PM by Artifice » Logged
Sirren
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2009, 08:48:01 PM »

Hallo Artifice, welcome on board. Nice work on the pipe you show.
I'm happy to see an environmental artist here: I'm currently tackling environement and I applied as a character modeller/animator, so go figure..
If you want to work on something:
Please download and build FIFE/PARPG and
please give a look at this:
http://forums.parpg.net/index.php?topic=473.0
This contains a list of the art we need for our first techdemo. You'll see the buildings we currently have are made with one huge sprite, and different building stores are to be set in separate maps.. In the current game version we can already make modular wall pieces with a first floor in the same map the building is, or so I hope/think. As soon as I finish the front gate I'll give a try to modular walls. To make a long story short: if you want to give a try..
As a side note: don't worry about Blender, we have a rendering setup which can be applied to different tools.. Personally I'm a XSI user, for example.
Anyway, enjoy your stay and welcome again.
shevegen
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2009, 09:13:53 PM »

Whoa cool. It is especially hard to find artist guys who stick to a project :-)

Sirren and Gaspard are our oldest and most active artists here (and some others like Zeli Comscar and a few more are active every now and then).

One word of advice - don't get into a situation where you feel burned out or demotivated.
PARPG's activity sometimes slows down due to reallife etc.., and then again it is very active a bit later. I think some guys may feel frustrated about this sometimes (just look at continuum's posts, he seemed sort of annoyed - that's my opinion btw, people need to work together in a collaborative effort which can be difficult sometimes, especially when one has different goals or ideas)

I'm also looking for an active project, not one that has 1-2 semi-active people that rarely make progress.

Personally I think, even though we can always need more programmers, our programming department is nicely stacked. There could be more storywriters, but most importantly we need more artists, else Sirren might feel burned out too quickly when Gaspard is on holidays ... Cheesy

Or just in general, so that we have enough artists who can help with the visualization, since people always can be busy in reallife all of a sudden.

have been doing PnP RPGing for nearly as long

Hah, I am sure you get along with zenbitz great. He is the grandfather of PARPG and there is not much he hasn't seen before yet!

I believe that progress breeds progress

That is entirely true, given that I believe about 40% of the guys who work on PARPG today weren't there from the very beginning, and that many who were active in the beginning are no longer active (or just less active). A project should keep a healthy influx of active people. Just don't get into situations where you might feel burnt out Cheesy

I see that IRC seems to be where all the action is, so I'll hop on there when I can and see how I can get involved.

Ah, not entirely true. It really depends on what you prefer. True, IRC helps a lot with fast communication, but take sirren - he is very active and only rarely uses IRC.
I think you have to find out on your own how you want to participate, IRC can take quite a lot of time away.

I'm currently tackling a plumbing problem under my house, so it will probably tonight or tomorrow before I can get on. Until then, here's a link to some of my stuff if anyone is interested.

Yah take your time and if you see problems, go make a thread. But be patient with us, continuum wasn't ... ;-)

Cleaning away the bureaucracy in PARPG to make our life easier.
Q_x
Admin
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2009, 09:29:10 PM »

Welcome!
I'm so happy you've arrived Smiley
In fact we need 3D artists so deadly, that Shevy and I started to learn some Blender basics   Grin
Here is one more important page:
http://wiki.parpg.net/Department:Graphics

In general: look around, have some fun browsing forums and wiki, chat on IRC.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2009, 09:42:31 PM by Q_x » Logged

shevegen
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2009, 09:40:43 PM »

Shevy and I started to learn some Blender basics

In all fairness... this should be taken as a joke ;-)
Besides Q_x already had some good graphics and a NPC portrait for his strange sniper NPC. I'll more try to fill as glue helping with techdemo stuff (especially the two quests, I still have to finish the dialogue for one NPC ...)

Artifice
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2009, 10:23:48 PM »

Wow! I crawl up from my basement to find quick replies and a warm welcome! Thanks so much.

Sirren: Hopefully I can take some of the workload off you and let you get back to characters.

Q_X: Thanks, I'm glad to be here!

Shevegen: I understand what you're saying about burnout. In all honesty, I do have a fairly hectic life between work, personal projects and family. I'm certainly not in a position to put everything on hold to work on a game, but I do expect to spend nights and weekends on it when I can. The other side of this is that art, 3D and games are something I feel very strongly about, and if I don't sit and do it I'll never get better at it. If anything PARPG is a great motivator to make me sit down and work at it instead of surfing the web or watching movies.

I'm still not up to speed with all the aspects of the game, including the rendering/graphics process. One downside of having everything mapped out is that a new guy has to read through it all  Grin  I'm sure it will take a few false starts and some Q&A posts to really get going. I looked through the assets needed for the Techdemo1 and most of it seems like stuff I can do. The pipe weapon I did up was really just a fun thing to play with and show off. I'll start in on some needed assets this weekend and figure it out as I go.

Thanks again for the welcome and I look forward to getting started.
shevegen
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2009, 04:12:12 AM »

One downside of having everything mapped out is that a new guy has to read through it all

Good point, didn't think about that. On IRC it is quite a lot easier to "get going" rather than using "only" the forum.

mvBarracuda
Admin
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2009, 05:09:50 PM »

Heya artifice, welcome on the forums :-) Great to have you around.

Kudos for your rather detailed introduction, I really like it when new devs don't mind to talk a bit about their background so we can get an idea who they are and what kind of tools they're used to.

As already pointed out by the others, we should try to meet at the project's IRC channel at one point or another. In case you don't have an IRC client installed yet, you can simply connect to the channel in your web browser via this link:
http://irc.parpg.net

In case you have an IRC client installed, check out this link that explains how to connect to the channel and explains some basic IRC guidelines:
http://wiki.parpg.net/IRC

One last pointer: the best starting point is usually getting the latest version of PARPG running on your system. There are a lot of good starting points and articles to read at the wiki but nothing gives you a better first impression of the project than testing it yourself.

Here a guide how to do so:
http://wiki.parpg.net/Download

In case you run into problems with the install process, simply ask for help, either here at the forums or at the IRC channel. We can walk you through the process :-)
Artifice
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2010, 03:46:20 AM »

Hey all. Sorry for going missing over the holidays... between family stuff and getting back to work, I haven't had much free time. Hopefully things will clear up this next week and I'll be able to get back to some art for the Tech Demo. When I left off I was working on the tiles for the parking lot and will hopefully have most of that taken care of by next weekend. After that I'll start looking at what else we need to actually finish out the Tech Demo. If there's and pressing requests, feel free to let me know.
shevegen
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2010, 07:23:16 AM »

There are not really any "pressing" needs per se, but let's be honest here - right now we are a bit inactive. Or in other words we miss barra a lot and zenbitz. Barra probably has no time right now due to studies, zenbitz is away for a week on a seminar or some such. Kaydeth is missing as well.

People making a break is no real problem per se, so welcome back!
I do however think that our workflow is stuck too much. (I will write some ideas about this in a general thread)

zenbitz
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2010, 08:19:54 PM »

I am actually around, but my lap top with PARPG checkout and such is in the shop getting a new superdrive.
I think what we need now is some kind of working demo map so we can put things in it.

We are not denying them an ending...
We are denying them a DISNEY ending - Icelus
shevegen
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2010, 05:55:30 AM »

Hey Artifice, do you think you may squeeze in a bit time to come to a bigger IRC meeting? Date isn't yet decided, I am just trying to screen through who can be slightly more active.

I'll also PM you just in case. I have no idea which other modellers are still active - possibly sirren, whom I will send a PM as well.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: