Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Changes and Enhancements of/the the Dialogue Engine  (Read 2610 times)
shevegen
Community member

View Profile
« on: December 05, 2009, 03:32:46 AM »

Hi,

I believe this is more important after techdemo I. But since it itched me slightly, I wanted to start a thread. My python-foo is still bad, but I am willing to try my luck at patches.

My first suggestion would be to allow multiple - say lines.

I know that this is not ultimately required because as zenbitz said you can use \n within your string to force newlines, which is ok.

Personally though, as long as we don't have a graphical editor for quest making or dialogue creation, I really hate very very long lines. In drunkard.yaml, the call to elaborate_beer, the - say line has 217 characters. This is the main reason why I used multiple - say lines to split that up. Thoughts? Pro? Con?

Cleaning away the bureaucracy in PARPG to make our life easier.
maximinus
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2010, 03:34:54 PM »

I think there is a definite danger of the dialog engine becoming to big and complex. It's starting to turn into a quest engine. Not that that isn't needed, but I feel we need to split the roles a little, continuous adding and hacking to a dialog engine is not the way to do things.

OTOH, what you suggest is perfectly reasonable, although I feel ultimately we'll need a GUI dialog editor TBH

Science is open-source religion
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: