Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: [OGA-Archived] WIP Ambient Track (hi btw)  (Read 12577 times)
Sindwiller
Community member

Official Forum Linguist

View Profile
« on: November 29, 2009, 02:20:23 PM »

Hello everyone -

I have been following PARPG's progress from the beginning (I think), at least when barra posted his announcement on the Freegamedev forums. I'm a regular #parpg idler and I'd be happy to contribute if I can Smiley

I have been messing around lately and came up with the idea of an ambient-ish track which could fit into some game, which I later on thought would be PARPG.

http://rgames.tuxfamily.org/wp-content/snow-may-never-end.ogg

What I have so far I think fits the nuclear winter environment of PARPG pretty well, however keep in mind that it's far from the final version, as the mixing is pretty horrible still and I have to substitute the distorted guitar part (which you should immediately ignore) with something more decent; and there's more that has to be done, apart from the fact that the track is still pretty short and would totally break the mood if looped with something else.

Anyway, I have a keyboard, a cheap guitar, bass guitars (which I haven't used in this track) and a firewire audio recording interface at my disposal.

C&C is welcome Smiley
« Last Edit: June 24, 2012, 02:26:20 PM by qubodup » Logged

shevegen
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2009, 05:15:01 PM »

Very nice. I am wondering about something else:

The pace of the track is rather slow/calm. The guitar is a tiny bit too dominating, I think (but I may be wrong) - there is a sudden very strong change. The beginning is cool, it would perhaps be nice to extend the calm start? Right now, after the guitar interferes heavily, it continues to be extremely calm ... I am not sure if such a sudden change is good.

But I was wondering about something else - how about a track that, from the very beginning, is rather "wild"? As in something that could be used for action/fast running?

Cleaning away the bureaucracy in PARPG to make our life easier.
Sindwiller
Community member

Official Forum Linguist

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2009, 07:02:08 PM »

The pace of the track is rather slow/calm.

That's because I thought of it being played when the player just walks around in the wilderness or through a camp or something, to augment the impression of isolation... and stuff.

The guitar is a tiny bit too dominating, I think (but I may be wrong)

Ya, the mixing between all those elements has yet to undergo some changes Smiley

- there is a sudden very strong change. The beginning is cool, it would perhaps be nice to extend the calm start? Right now, after the guitar interferes heavily, it continues to be extremely calm ... I am not sure if such a sudden change is good.

Yep, that is my main concern right now. I'll try to add a few more tips here and there and just basically make the track much more longbreathed than before.

But I was wondering about something else - how about a track that, from the very beginning, is rather "wild"? As in something that could be used for action/fast running?

Hm, I'd love to take suggestions for an appendant action/battle track Smiley

zenbitz
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2009, 08:49:43 PM »

me like guitar.

We are not denying them an ending...
We are denying them a DISNEY ending - Icelus
meinmartini
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2009, 05:52:56 PM »

I have to agree with shevy...the guitar that blasts in is just far too strong. I'm not saying its entrance isn't welcome, but it is a bit hard on the ears.

I wouldn't mind having this, or a rendition of this as the main title screen. But that's just what I'm picturing to have there.

Let's fight some ballerinas.
Sindwiller
Community member

Official Forum Linguist

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2009, 09:22:39 PM »

A little late merry christmas to everyone!

As the lazy bastard I am, it took a little more time than normally to do this. Anyway, here's the second WIP version, which I think will be (with some tweaks) the final version if you don't mind. I tried to make the mixing bearable for the ears, tell me if it isn't so. The arrangement is pretty much the final version - I might add some finishing touches here and there to stretch it a bit.

http://rgames.tuxfamily.org/wp-content/snow_may_never_end_wip2.ogg

C&C welcome Smiley

shevegen
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2009, 03:57:06 AM »

It's very good. I already gave feedback on IRC. Personally the change I would still like to see is if the transitions aren't too abrupt, i.e. the wind could become weaker just not entirely faded out and the guitar not too suddenly become too loud, but this is just minor really.

So far I think it is the best audio track (that is my personal opinion, hope the others don't mind)

Btw do you need barra to commit this to svn? I am just asking in general now... as in, when would this audio track be heard? I think it is perfect for outside-settlements. Inside a pub it is probably not too good hehe.

Sindwiller
Community member

Official Forum Linguist

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2009, 01:34:13 PM »

Btw do you need barra to commit this to svn?

Well, I'd need his consent anyway, and the consent of the rest of the audio team I guess, besides the fact that I don't have rights to commit to PARPG SVN Smiley

I think it is perfect for outside-settlements. Inside a pub it is probably not too good hehe.

A pub is out of question, obviously. However, I thought we settled on it becoming the track for the main menu? I think it would fit as the main menu background track, at least looking at the mockup. ^^

Q_x
Admin
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2010, 12:39:37 PM »

I like it. I'll try to tune-in even more with my graphic work upon main menu in the future  Wink

maximinus
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2010, 01:17:57 PM »

I like it; desolate and barren. Reminds me of some Japanese style music.

I only have one very very minor nit-pick, that is I'd say the guitar sound is a bit thin (And I only say that because I'm a guitar player myself of the last 20 years).

Good work!

Science is open-source religion
Sindwiller
Community member

Official Forum Linguist

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2010, 02:11:49 PM »

I only have one very very minor nit-pick, that is I'd say the guitar sound is a bit thin (And I only say that because I'm a guitar player myself of the last 20 years).

I'm playing the high g-b-e strings only, tuned in g-b-b, playing the first two as drone strings to make it sound a bit archaic, more like a tambura or a cifteli, or even a small kantele (effin' incomplete Wikipedia articles^^). That's why it sounds "thin", however it's on purpose Smiley

I will upload a slightly reworked version of the track in the next few days. Smiley

mvBarracuda
Admin
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2010, 12:05:50 PM »

Looking forward to it Sindwiller :-) I already dig the current version and think it's a nice addition to the other tracks in place.
cullie
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2010, 04:03:00 AM »

I like the track. I do agree that the abrupt change needs to be massaged in and out a bit better, but I'm really digging the mood.

What recording rig are you using?
Sindwiller
Community member

Official Forum Linguist

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2010, 01:02:12 PM »

What recording rig are you using?

I just have a Tapco Link.Firewire (which forces me to use Windows sadly) into which I usually plug the guitar, bass and keyboard. I'm still waiting for my XLR cable in order to use my new mic (an AKG C1000s =) ) to eventually record amp sound, acoustic instruments and vocals Smiley The software I'm using is Mackie's Tracktion (included with Tapco stuff), which has a pretty rubbish GUI and stuff, yet it's better than anything FOSS for Windows (Audacity - No; Traverso DAW - No routing, no plugins; Jokosher - Incomplete, no routing, buggy) Wink

shevegen
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2010, 11:41:13 AM »

which forces me to use Windows sadly)

why Sad

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to: