Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Post-techdemo TODO  (Read 4431 times)
Q_x
Admin
Community member

View Profile
« on: January 29, 2010, 07:37:39 PM »

There has been lots of discussion upon various topics that share a general concusions like "to be discussed after the techdemo" or "to be done after the techdemo". W can forget about it. This is why...
There is new-born wiki page here:
http://wiki.parpg.net/Post-techdemo_TODO
The list is divided into departments.

if you remember something or wish to discuss - please add some more items there, with or without link to related topic.   

shevegen
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2010, 10:14:11 PM »

Hmm. I think one topic for the meeting will be to raise the question whether we should push back the relevance & importance of the techdemo.

The techdemo was nice in many regards, and perhaps we shouldn't abandon it, but it also seems to overshadow other development, and this is horrible when the project grinds to a complete standstill.

The second problem is that I think the departments will quickly come to live again the moment the programmers can hack something nifty! I mean... the audio guys need ideas for audio tracks as well and a new environment... or skills! or combat! gives them new ideas as well! Cheesy

Cleaning away the bureaucracy in PARPG to make our life easier.
Q_x
Admin
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2010, 10:47:22 PM »

We need techdemo to gather some focus and attract new people. We need this badly.
We need techdemo to occur on some places like freshmeat. To have alpha stage. Binaries. Feedback. Decisions made with it.  Finalizing the techdemo is important. Showing that we have quest engine, mechanics, save & load. To have workflow fluent. We need some stage that will close some serious paralyze we have now.

Only major  thing that is going now is coding - reworking the code and pathing to new, not working yet, FIFE.

Without it one can feel there is anything to do actually. Like me right now, looking for anything that will make some other people happy. There will be lots of people wandering, each one in its own direction.

And once again.

I think the techdemo is really needed, so is the time before and after it. It could not happen anytime, we need it anyway.

We need everything that is before it (making basic features, having some items that will find its way into SVN), we need some remarkable events (for the community to grow) and we need time after the events, to hear the feedback, discuss and make important decisions with more than 5 persons lazy enough to block some features just because it is hard to do it for them or it need some serious work. Like the things I've heard during making main menu background something like "Falling snow? Animated? no-go, sorry"

maximinus
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2010, 02:19:59 AM »

This is a meeting discussion really.

Personally I feel we just 'finish' the tech-demo real quick, and get some closure on it. If that means shaving a few corners I don't see that as a problem.

Actually, the amount of code needed to finish the tech-demo is not that much. Can't speak for the other depts. though.

Science is open-source religion
shevegen
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2010, 11:56:24 AM »

Yes, let's tackle that beast.

Countdown to 10. March

I think we can easily finish the techdemo quests. The biggest problem, I think, will be 3D stuff like buildings. :/

Cleaning away the bureaucracy in PARPG to make our life easier.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: