Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: [Assets] Gate? Whatever..  (Read 9761 times)
Sirren
Community member

View Profile Email
« on: November 26, 2009, 12:50:52 PM »

A couple of hours doodle. I need to know a few things:

A) Is anybody else working on this?
B) Which is the name of this thing in the Trac?
C) Is interior needed? If not this is practically ready for texturing..
D) Any suggestions about colour/s?
« Last Edit: December 07, 2009, 04:21:08 PM by mvBarracuda » Logged
shevegen
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2009, 03:53:43 PM »

Can't answer all questions. Smiley

I think noone else is working right now on this, at least none that has declared to, as far as I know.

About colours, I think it might be fun to try out "washed out" colours due to the climate effects (snow, water, humidity, coldness)

For example you could try a similar colour as with the guard tower but even more "washed out". Just a suggestion though.
And I am still in love with all kind of slightly "broken" texture surfaces by the way Cheesy
« Last Edit: November 26, 2009, 03:56:42 PM by shevegen » Logged

Cleaning away the bureaucracy in PARPG to make our life easier.
zenbitz
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2009, 06:05:22 PM »

this looks to me like perfect for the front of the store....as such it woudn't need an interior.

We are not denying them an ending...
We are denying them a DISNEY ending - Icelus
Sirren
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2009, 11:50:14 PM »

Done. Its mine then.
mvBarracuda
Admin
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2009, 01:31:59 PM »

Looks nice Sirren!

This gate will be actually a pretty interesting object as it might create all kind of z-ordering issues for us. It really depends on the implementation though. I guess we would like to offer the option that the player character and NPCs can actually walk through the gate?

In this case, we'll have to split up the gate into pilars and archway. The pilars are the part of the gate that moving instances such as the player character can collide with and they therefore need to reside on the object layer of the map. The archway is actually always rendered "over" all instances that reside on the object layer, therefore it needs to reside on an own layer above the object layer. Sketch attached.

* boh.png (61.36 KB, 520x332 - viewed 671 times.)
shevegen
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2009, 02:09:11 PM »

If the actor enters the gate, only the pillars will be seen, and the ceiling part will become transparent for as long as the actor moves through it, right?

Cleaning away the bureaucracy in PARPG to make our life easier.
mvBarracuda
Admin
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2009, 02:17:20 PM »

This could be implemented shevegen. Right now it's not supported but I don't think it would be terribly hard to get into PARPG.

Btw.: this seems to be the correct ticket for it (as you asked about it Sirren): http://parpg-trac.cvsdude.com/parpg/ticket/192
Sirren
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2009, 11:53:01 PM »

Dammit, I saw these last posts too late.. Anyway, I created a new ticket: see ticket 224, gate test. It contains this building in greyscale, or better, two HUGE sprites.. One for pillars and another for the building body, as you suggested.
Width is about 1,2k pixels, I think it's extremely close to the end game size..
mvBarracuda
Admin
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2009, 09:48:37 PM »

I've commited the gate into SVN Sirren. Unfortunately there are z-ordering problems indeed. It's a bit hard to describe, so feel free to test it, the gate is featured on map.xml (the starting map).

My gut feeling tells me that we'll end up splitting the walls / pillars of the gate into smaller tile-width (70px) chunks. I don't see an alternative to cope with the z-ordering issues. Maybe somebody else has an idea after testing it.
Sirren
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2009, 10:53:05 PM »

Oh, my..
What can I say, size is good.. Seriously, splitting the pillar image should be easy. What worries me are the double shadows.
Is splitting going to be o.k.?
mvBarracuda
Admin
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2009, 10:56:26 PM »

Hopefully z-ordering problems will be gone once the walls / pillars have been split up Sirren. Not sure what we can do about the double shadows, I was puzzled about it as well.
Sirren
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2009, 11:02:08 PM »

I could try this: I'll render the gate pieces with no shadow and cut the shadow off a complete render. Agreed?
mvBarracuda
Admin
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2009, 11:09:23 PM »

Sure, whatever gets the deal done. Once we worked out how this should be done, it will be way easier. We just struggle with these issues right now because we haven't worked them out yet.
Sirren
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2009, 11:22:09 PM »

Done. I reuploaded the stuff in my ticket 224. Separate shadow with pillars/building casting shadow on self but not onto the ground. I think it will look somewhat better.
mvBarracuda
Admin
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2009, 12:41:00 AM »

Just split up one pillar segment into 70px wide pieces. z-ordering and blocking is okay after adding some invisible blockers. I've split up the image manually as our image splitting scripts in SVN didn't work for me. gfxsplit.py choked on the PNG file. image_splicer.py depends on PythonMagick which is almost impossible to install on win32 as you would have to build ImageMagick from source with PythonMagick support enabled.

I would love if a programmer could actually look into porting image_splicer.py from PythonMagick to PIL (Python Imaging Library) as PIL is available as precompiled package on win32.

If you would like to test the split up pillars yourself, update to the latest SVN revision. The pillar has been added to map.xml for testing purposes.
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to: