Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: [Discussion] Inventory Items and how to do it  (Read 10643 times)
Q_x
Admin
Community member

View Profile
« on: November 17, 2009, 09:02:22 PM »

I was updating the tickets and it striked me that all items were described as renders by mvbarracuda. I've added the tags into names.

Do we have to model, texturize and render each inventory item? Really there is no possibility to have this things hand-drawn in game?

Any thoughts upon improving workflow? What pieces can 2d or 3d persons do for each other to improve workflow and have all things done faster and better?

Few pebbles to start with:

For things like bags, crates, boxes of any kind in general 2d person could make textures (any things to remember when doing it?)

For in-inventory render viewpoint can be lowered a lot

If there is such a huge demand for 3d job, I can learn some modelling.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2009, 09:27:00 PM by Gaspard » Logged

Gaspard
Community member

The Blackest Heart

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2009, 09:26:36 PM »

I personally think that the tech-demo inventory stuff should be painted just to make it easier on the modelers (who are very few at the moment).

So the modelers work on the scenery props and 2D guys take care of the inventory for now. Later on when the game is "playable" one could start replacing the old all-2D items with renders of them or when modelers tire and want to get their mind off all the barrels and crates and.. you should get my drift.

EDIT: though the map on-the-ground item images should be probably rendered. Fallout had this general 'box' image to indicate any item, til it got a prop
« Last Edit: November 17, 2009, 09:29:13 PM by Gaspard » Logged
Q_x
Admin
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2009, 09:41:31 PM »

Should we wait until GUI will be closer to finish and the actual pixel size of items will be known? or stick to 200x200 (100x100?) and "we'll see later"?
It looks like the items will be very small. As far, as I'm half-on-half with the zoom size, I don't like the idea of having post-stamp size of in-inventory items :-/

Gaspard
Community member

The Blackest Heart

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2009, 09:54:42 PM »

Depends on what size you work on it. I usually go for something that's close to commercial norm (not too well versed in that) as in 250-300 pixels per inch and for the portraits 2000x2500 or larger canvas size.

For the in-game items... maybe keep the pxl/inch around what your comfortable with or how into detail you like to go and deem necessary, and hand them in as a minimum size of 500x500 pixels. That leaves room for resizing and/or cropping.

So I'd save the finished inv items as 500x500 pngs.

Any comments on this thought ?
Q_x
Admin
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2009, 10:32:37 PM »

Overkill for me. Will there be ever need of displaying such a huge thing? Pamphlet - ok.
Maybe if we would target a box edition...

And after rescaling it to 50x50 or even less in inventory - things may not be as readable as we wish, so there might be need to redraw it again carefully (and render things later and retouch afterwards for the third time).

Bloating the game may also be the factor.

However I would agree upon 500x500 items proposals (with 50x50 preview in the corner or sth like this).
« Last Edit: November 17, 2009, 10:46:08 PM by Q_x » Logged

Gaspard
Community member

The Blackest Heart

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2009, 10:57:45 PM »

500x500 should probably be max for inventory-slot items, though. They might be 50x50 or similar in the slots, but might be a bit larger when you pick them up and drag etc. Leave room for that, too

I work on the portraits on a canvas so large because I'm just comfortable with it.
Although the way I work doesn't really need it so big.
If there's a necessity to be using it as a larger image then I can just save it as such for use at the blog or elsewhere. So far I've been botching the first ones - I accidentally saved one of the images pretty low-res and lost a lot of data for another one and all the sizes vary, though they can all be cropped into probable in-game uses without any problems.
shevegen
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2009, 02:36:06 PM »

Should we wait until GUI will be closer to finish and the actual pixel size of items will be known?

Cant really comment on the resolution and GUI stuff, but waiting is a really bad idea as long as we dont have enough people contributing, especially in the modelling/artists section. Look at sirren, he kinda got burned out (hope he will be back again later).

Frankly, even if some don't like a specific resolution, it is a lot better than to see a project grind to halt.

Cleaning away the bureaucracy in PARPG to make our life easier.
Continuum
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2009, 03:20:11 PM »

Suggestion: use some crappy placeholders (even some photos) for techdemo. Redirect 2d artist into designing GUI stuff (like portraits or any other more important things).

Inventory items done in 3d: good idea. They can be rendered at any size you want.
Gaspard
Community member

The Blackest Heart

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2009, 05:20:35 PM »

Suggestion: use some crappy placeholders (even some photos) for techdemo. Redirect 2d artist into designing GUI stuff (like portraits or any other more important things).

Inventory items done in 3d: good idea. They can be rendered at any size you want.

word
zenbitz
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2009, 10:47:24 PM »

Continuum is going to get drafted into management if he keeps making so much sense...  Grin

We are not denying them an ending...
We are denying them a DISNEY ending - Icelus
Q_x
Admin
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2009, 09:23:36 AM »

In fact I don't like the idea of making and using crap (in fact hand-drawing eg. good bottle in 500x500 will take much less time than setup a lights and camera, make a photo, upload it, cut it, shrink and retouch - and put all studio items back on its place after batch of such jobs will be finished, doing such foto is again way faster, than finding good CC-licensed bitmap on interwebz), while waiting for years until someone will model, render and provide something like 300 to 1000 items, argue with him to have in-inventory render with some specific POV or light set differently for things to be clearly visible within 50x50 resolution - and even best renders would have to be retouched in 2d anyway.

There could be used a kind of "default item pixmap" for me - some nice smiled badge for items without a proper face, at least when starting.

Gaspard - could you please assure me once again you have not made (or seen somewhere) any of items listed in trac tickets, as I think I've seen eg. meat hook somewhere... Sorry for repetitively stressing you - I have not much time for drawing until Monday so I want to have clarity of what have or have not been done when I will be ready for PARPG, rather than think "I must have seen this somewhere..." instead.

Continuum
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2009, 09:45:54 AM »

Continuum is going to get drafted into management if he keeps making so much sense...  Grin
Yeah, I like to terrorize workers!

argue with him to have in-inventory render with some specific POV or light set differently for things to be clearly visible within 50x50 resolution - and even best renders would have to be retouched in 2d anyway.
Why specific POV? Been doing inventory stuff and you must pick the best POV for particular model. The same for lights and FOV. Inventory stuff is totally different than in-game objects (aka tiles/walls/scenery/critters/etc.). I do know what I'm talking about obviously.

Anyway, what's the (more or less) size of inventory slot now? I'm doing 3d potatoes!

--------------------------EDIT

Ohh, and that license(s) thingy is a real utter shite. It's one of the reason I'll not jump on ANY serious work here.

--------------------------EDIT2

Ohh, I forgot. Of course after techdemo you need to decide how inventory items (including all weaponry, armours, etc.) will be done (2d or 3d) to keep things consistent. For now (as I already said) use some crappy placeholders, to not waste a time for things which may be useless (or replaced) later.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2009, 11:00:53 AM by Continuum » Logged
mvBarracuda
Admin
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2009, 12:54:31 PM »

While we appreciate your contributions Continuum, you seem to have an attitude to upset people. Saying that something is shit doesn't really help anyone. We know that licenses tend to be a very complicated, tiresome and not rewarding topic. We've discussed which license to go for in the past and everyone was okay with CC 3.0 BY-SA. Now suddenly coming up and saying our license is shit doesn't help anyone, it's rather frustrating for me and prolly for a couple of others as well.

This said: I've already pointed out that you can use non-commercial textures for PARPG. But we'll have to point out where these textures are coming from and clarify in a LICENSE file that these specific assets are not released under CC 3.0 BY-SA but CC 3.0 BY-SA-NC. Hopefully we can replace NC assets with assets that permit commercial usage in the long run. Right now it feels more important to get some content into the game than strictly going down the BY-SA route.

Furthermore check out http://www.burningwell.org/gallery2/v/textures/

There are a bunch of useful textures there that are compatible with CC 3.0 BY-SA!
Q_x
Admin
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2009, 01:04:43 PM »

Continuum - As far, as I agree upon zoom/tile size with you, I disagree here with items.
Look at all the major games of the fallout-like genre - you have all or almost all in-inventory graphics polished or made in 2d soft - it is simply faster and better to do it that way than fiddling with render for hours. Nice to have 3d render as a reference or even better as a starting point.
Consistent work isn't priority in this case IMO, I think readability is much more important with small bitmaps, than keeping light or POV in the same place, in the end potatoes and rocks or crowbar and pipe will start somehow look similar.

And with all this unknown things - this is why we agreed upon 500x500 overkill size.

Upon frustration and "not helping conclusions" - I have rule of thumb not to see such things unless they won't fit under. This one is too big :/

Barra - basically this is why I license all unrelated private things I publish (blog text, artwork, photos) under WTFPL so its compatible with any license, as you can rerelease it under any conditions.

shevegen
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2009, 01:13:38 PM »

that license(s) thingy is a real utter shite.

Come on man, such a comment isn't helping. I can understand frustration but it really seems bad to throw in too many complaints right now into one post.
You started with resolution, then placeholder, then went on to license stuff... honestly, this just leads to frustration. Things don't change quickly, let's calm down and work on them one after the other.

Cleaning away the bureaucracy in PARPG to make our life easier.
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to: