Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Updated map editor tutorial: request for additional topics  (Read 4337 times)
mvBarracuda
Admin
Community member

View Profile Email
« on: November 19, 2009, 03:41:00 PM »

Heya lads, I finally managed to update and extend the map editor tutorial at the wiki:
http://wiki.parpg.net/Map_editor_tutorial

This said: I'm not a native speaker so I appreciate every feedback. If you catch some odd sounding wording, simply change it.

This is also a request for additional topics that such a map editor tutorial should cover. Right now it explains how to set up a map geometry-wise, add a ground layer and tiles, find the center point of larger objects and how to implement proper blocking for these larger objects. I might have the time to add 2-3 new chapters tomorrow. Keep the suggestions coming.
amo-ej1
Community member

elie@de-brauwer.be
View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2009, 06:56:21 PM »

great job,  i just went through it and it's also a great way to learn the internals of fife/parpg a bit.

some questions/comments:
-> perhaps its nice to note there that camera id's should be parpg unique (they were supposed to be or am i wrong  ?)
-> when moving to objects things such as teleport would be nice to see there

perhaps in the end some conventions when it comes to maps. (where do we store them, are there naming conventions ?, ... )

and in the end, how to test/troubleshoot the map in parpg.
Kaydeth
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2009, 07:24:53 PM »

Three layers (ground, object, air) should usually be enough, although more creative usage of layers will surely occur. We'll start with ground layer. Just enter the layer id, you can ignore the other layer attributes for now:
Seems a little silly to tell the user to ignore the parameters and then go on to describe each one. Perhaps reword it as something like "for now you can leave the other attributes at there defaults but here is a short description of their effects".

The Camera creation section seems very sparse compared to the in depth desciptions in the layers section. Could there be option descriptions for the Camera creation screen?

Excursus: finding the center point of large objects
What is Excursus?
In this section you describe finding the offset of the center of the base of the object compared to the default center FIFE chooses. How can you actually find that offset? Do you just have to guess the pixel count? How can you verify that you have picked appropriate offset values?
Also in this section you describe editing the objects XML file. You should probably point out that this will require you to import that object again (at least i think it will).

The last screenshot where you add snow tiles is a little out of place. Why don't you just continue with your snow tiles example and add the shanty image to that?
saritor
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2009, 01:54:46 PM »

-> perhaps its nice to note there that camera id's should be parpg unique (they were supposed to be or am i wrong  ?)

Yup they are unique per map. I would say the best way to standardize the name of cameras would be to name the camera id something along the lines of "cam_<map_id>" So that its clear which camera is associated with which map not that it would matter in the back-end of things but it just looks clean.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: