Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: Inspirational  (Read 16576 times)
Q_x
Admin
Community member

View Profile
« on: November 13, 2009, 12:18:59 PM »

How about sharing some ideas/inventions/items upon how the people would live in such strange environment?

first pebble from me:

http://bizarrelabs.com/

Look eg. at the electricity category there (esp. great text upon Foxhole radio - you can google it and find lots of DIY stuff actually working). I even seen a radio made of long wire rope ONLY (sound comes from sparks at the loop made at the end of rope), but it has been used very near the 300W transmitter antenna, so I think the headphones grounded would make the sound there as well.

zenbitz
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2009, 09:13:40 PM »

it's not so hard to make a radio reciever out of junk... it's the transmitter that's difficult, no?

But in any case cool find.   I have a couple army survival books (one US, one SAS) which has lots of good stuff like "how to build a snow cave" etc.

We are not denying them an ending...
We are denying them a DISNEY ending - Icelus
Q_x
Admin
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2009, 08:32:31 AM »

Unless you just want to hear if storm is coming...
Transmitter - not so hard, but not so easy either. Few not-improvised parts, like lamp or transistor, condenser, diode and you're ready to go.
You can always find/repair such thing as well.
This thing is connected somehow with some concept being prepared as a surprise, I'll raid the forums tomorrow.

shevegen
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2009, 02:54:44 AM »

We could make one or two quests... "repair this to get a radio".

It would be realistic, fun, could involve skills... and may even be useful for some later situation.

Cleaning away the bureaucracy in PARPG to make our life easier.
zenbitz
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2009, 06:53:46 AM »

Other random inspiration... I am reading a book called "The World Without Us" - a non-fiction enviro book about how the world would change without humans around.  Most of it doesn't much apply to the world 20 years after the holocaust, but some of it does... for example I learned that during an ice age, the rest of the world (equatorial regions) undergo severe drought (because all the water is tied up in the glaciers, duh).

It also talks about how fast (10-20 years) plants and animals come in and take over places abandoned by humans (Chernobyl, some hotel on Cyprus)

shevegen
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2009, 10:18:54 AM »

A bit offtopic but... do you think the current way with the dialogue is too difficult?

I looked at your .yaml files but it is quite some work hmm ... for example, the name
"Bart" was hardcoded... if we decide we have to change the name later, we would
have to grep through all instances of Bart. I just feel that a few things aren't yet perfect
here and I wonder if the design is good to have in its current form. It seems a little
bit as if the dialogues are also used to trigger quests - ok, but how do we add events
for other in-game stuff? Like moving to a wall, and giving the actor a message that
something may be strange at this wall, then the actor starts to search, then perhaps
finds something. Has there been any discussion about this so far?

zenbitz
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2009, 01:39:23 AM »

This needs to go in the programming forum...

But you will note that at least I didn't hard code the NPC name into the file name!

If we want variable interpolation (i.e, for NPC or PC names) that is going to be a whole nother ball of wax.

Probably the best is to have a dialog editor GUI that we can just change the stuff as needed and spit out new yaml files.
it's no where near "done" but it will work for the tech demo I think.  As I create dialog files I bump into holes that need to be added in the quest/dialog engine.

zenbitz
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2009, 07:02:02 AM »

counter-inspiration... but kinda funny and apropos...
http://www.theonion.com/content/video/ultra_realistic_modern_warfare

Gaspard
Community member

The Blackest Heart

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2009, 02:53:45 PM »

other kinds of inspiration:

http://www.tacticalunderground.us/forum/

I stumbled on this forum for one of my favourite zombie stories Day By Day Armageddon.

They have some neat-o info gathered at the survival section (surviving in a post-apoc world, to be precise)
Q_x
Admin
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2009, 12:58:31 PM »

How about Z'EV music?

Chromanoid
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2009, 12:27:34 AM »

http://friends.kz/other/1148149666-zhizn-v-odnoj-komnate.html
if a part of your game plays in a vault, this is a nice inspiration for all-in-one room living environments.
shevegen
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2009, 02:16:09 AM »

Well ok... we need buildings with lots of crappy stuff inside, judging from that last link Wink

However the folks in that link seem to have problems with space/rooms... i.e they dont
have enough. I dont think people in post-nuclear war setup will have that much problem
with free space...

About cave-dwellings or below the surface buildings... I think what we would need are people
with 3D modeling skills ... :<

Chromanoid
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2009, 12:11:49 PM »

However the folks in that link seem to have problems with space/rooms... i.e they dont
have enough. I dont think people in post-nuclear war setup will have that much problem
with free space...
mmh when you look at tribal societies in dangerous environments like rainforests or arctic regions, people live close together in camps or community houses etc. i think this social structure would establish especially in an environment that gets continously more hostile/wild. and when you have enough local resources to survive the people living in such camps would really start to collect stuff from the good old times leading to rooms full of stuff like in the photos. but this is only my vision of a postapocalyptic ice age scenario.

in addition when you think of a scenario where vaults are not only for the elite but for everyone who can enter it before the nuclear strike/big fast change, there will be many people with very few place.

...well here two pics that are in my opinion totally postapocalyptic
edit: saw a nice home made modification of an assault rifle at techeblog: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iX7vwivR6cE (M16 to automatic shotgun)

* shoppingcartgrill.jpg (86.48 KB, 450x338 - viewed 632 times.)

* 25nomads_xlarge1.jpg (56.89 KB, 600x320 - viewed 647 times.)
« Last Edit: November 24, 2009, 12:28:22 PM by Chromanoid » Logged
zenbitz
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2009, 09:46:42 PM »

I like the shopping cart grill... but it would be pretty wierd to convert an M16 into an automatic shotgun.  Unless all you had was a machine shop and a huge cache of 12 ga. shells!

shevegen
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2009, 02:32:47 AM »

LOL the shopping cart grill is a great idea!

I believe as for the weapons stuff, it will be not too common to have heavy weapons easily accessible. At least that's what I though zenbitz here thinks.

One problem may be that in a post apocalyptic setting the economy may be disrupted, so it could be hard to get all necessary parts.

Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to: