Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Way of playing ambient music  (Read 5201 times)
Q_x
Admin
Community member

View Profile
« on: November 09, 2009, 01:12:42 PM »

As I'm not a FIFE-related developer, I don't know if it's doable in any easy way. How about constructing longer playlists of ambient music for particular locations like while being in some location placed under ground, in fight-mode or in the city. Not only one track. And eg. play it in random order. This is first idea.
Second idea is the issue I hate in Arcanum: The game starts playing same track in 10 s periods - never actually ending it, just because of changing locations or travel mode (will be such feature in PARPG?). Maybe there is a way to wait with playing until the track played actually finishes?
Third thing - maybe there is a way to have a OSD-like option to credit the Likantropika with name of the band and track played? I'm pretty sure with CC licenses you have to list all the tracks and authors somewhere where you can access it easily (eg. playlist printed and pinned on the cork wall in the pub). Making all music in form of external playlist files, reading tags while playing and displaying it in game can make things like modding the music really easy.

How about such features in some distant future?

The reason behind this is Likantropika does really nice and even dark ambient, things will be irritating when switching between 2-3 10s intros of tracks, not interrupting it will help the general feel of the game as well.

zenbitz
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2009, 10:05:01 PM »

I like the idea of having external playlists... I wanted to have an all 80s rock soundtrack, but people want to make their own music, and no one wants to ask record companies for permission...

We are not denying them an ending...
We are denying them a DISNEY ending - Icelus
Q_x
Admin
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2009, 02:17:20 PM »

Just imagine "Old music shop"-like quest where you can gain access to low-quality playlist with garage disco (low quality both in terms of noise and artistic level)...
Maybe there is any Public Domain resource of such inventions? (private wedding videos can be relicensed if you have any - anybody has any other idea?)

meinmartini
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2009, 07:05:40 PM »

A lot of PC games have folders where you can insert music you'd like to hear in-game. Of course, it all depends on the format. Some programs use MP3s; easy enough to drag and drop the music you want. But if it's in another format (we're using OGG), gamers would have to go the distance to convert the tunes they want to hear.

Or we can implement an importer and gamers can just point and click what they want.

Let's fight some ballerinas.
Dave Matney
Community member

29640090 naveofhearts@hotmail.com naveking matneyx
View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2009, 05:53:42 PM »

The first part of this thread seems like a REALLY good idea.  Multiple tracks that are "appropriate" for the various locations, to break up the monotony that can come from hearing the same songs over and over again, with each location given it's own playlist.
Sindwiller
Community member

Official Forum Linguist

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2009, 09:19:43 PM »

The first part of this thread seems like a REALLY good idea.  Multiple tracks that are "appropriate" for the various locations, to break up the monotony that can come from hearing the same songs over and over again, with each location given it's own playlist.

I, too, endorse this!

maximinus
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2010, 01:27:38 PM »

This is a reply to an old thread, but no coder has replied -

Adding your own playlist, or stripping info from ogg / mp3 files etc... is pretty easy from a programming side.

Science is open-source religion
mvBarracuda
Admin
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2010, 11:50:01 AM »

We actually got two options for techdemo #1:
1. Have one specific audio track per map.
2. Randomly select one audio track from PARPG's audio directory whenever you enter a map.

In case we go for option two, users just need to copy their OGG Vorbis files into the audio folder to listen to custom music. MP3 is not supported by FIFE out of the box but we don't need MP3 support IMO for a number of reasons (patent issues, better free alternative available).
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: