Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Q_x - 2D guy  (Read 11441 times)
Q_x
Admin
Community member

View Profile
« on: November 06, 2009, 11:52:15 AM »

Greetings from Poland!

My name is Luke (or Ɓukasz), but people call me Qx (therefore Q_x as nick here).
I've raided the IRC channel lastly.
You'll find my sketch "The Hooded One" in the graphics forums.
Thanks for posting it, shevy Smiley

I'm bitmap/vector designer (2D only), DTP-man, new media artist, 100% freelancer.

At spare time I'm overhauling my flat, making some photos, feeding the birds, making noisy pathes in Pure Data, doing some veejaying, cracking some wifi, meeting my friends, studying the gnomonics or some other bizarre stuff. I love simple (but not mindless) solutions.

FLOSS enthusiast, poorman of choice (but look - we have 70-80% taxes here, without any social benefits from it). And a little bit obese - by DNA flaw, I think.

I have random and unregular periods of boredom and doing-nothing varying from weeks to hours. So I'd rather do some small things for PARPG than sit and wait until job happens.

I'm into PA worlds for 18 years now, I've been writing my first PA novel when I was 10, it wasn't longer than two pages full of white snow and wandering poor gang members but whatever.

I can provide some random minor improvements on batches of graphic items or create "big things" as splash, game menu - one at a time.
If you're not in hurry with polishing graphics - I'd rather wait and provide/improve bizilions of ideas or make concept-art to inspire the team.

I'm writing personal weblog to trace my recent activities, in Polish. It's hosted on pieknedni.blogspot.com. Nothing special.

I have no portfolio other than for commerce design/DTP, it's useless in this situation. But I hope I'll make part of the new one here.

I usually post my things on the interwebs under WTFPL (you can't put things straight under the Public Domain terms where I live, the WTFPL is legal equivalent).

As a fluent Polglish speaker I often forget the "the" word, or "a" or "an". Misspell, misuse and write things slowly. Forgive me please, but don't hesitate to correct my errors.

Cheers,
Luke
« Last Edit: January 14, 2010, 03:21:36 PM by Q_x » Logged

shevegen
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2009, 12:31:15 PM »

When did you hear about PARPG first btw?

Cleaning away the bureaucracy in PARPG to make our life easier.
Q_x
Admin
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2009, 01:36:19 PM »

News was posted on http://happypenguin.org/, I'm quite stunned with how many people gathers here.

I've forgotten - I can do some video too. Gluing, cutting, adding sound.

shevegen
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2009, 02:38:25 PM »

Amazing... i think you may be the first from happypenguin hehehe

Although I did visit happypenguin in the past a lot too. It doesn't seem to evolve much these days though :/

Q_x
Admin
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2009, 09:48:43 AM »

News update:

Despite of ammount of work I have (or don't have) - there should be always some time for PARPG.

I screwed my Linux box recently - and developing anything under XP was always painfull for me. I thought I'll find mana to brawl with it. I was wrong.
How that happened? Both new GRUB and new kernel went out of space addressable by BIOS, and even after deleting swap partition and merging it to have Linux closer to beginning of disk - error 18 occurred even after fresh installation of Debian. Looks like whole XP partition and Linux /boot must now fit in first 8GB of disk space. Why so far it was good? Why just upgrading the kernel blown things up? What new grub brings to this situation, preventing fresh installation? I have to definitely read more about it.

I've been trying install things in VM or in Wubi - it looks like I don't have enough hdd and/or computing power to do it. xPUD fits and runs well, but no chance for 4 GB of free space and running eg. Xubuntu - no matter if using VM or Wubi.

I'm able to make/correct graphics for PARPG (as well as doing other things).

I should be able to buy myself bigger new disk in January and set up all things before you finish the techdemo.

Shevy: I *love* the retro-web1.0-ish feel of happypenguin site Smiley.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2009, 09:52:07 AM by Q_x » Logged

shevegen
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2009, 11:22:53 PM »

I think december is a bit more silent in Parpg compared to perhaps october or november.

Linux is a big pile of mess. Seriously. It doesn't help that there are so many distributions either. I often wonder where Linux would be without Gnome or KDE ...

Q_x
Admin
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2010, 03:05:17 PM »

Barra: I'm up and running.

mvBarracuda
Admin
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2010, 03:46:30 PM »

Alrighty Q_x :-) You get the extra prize for reporting back first. Hopefully the others report back as well so we can tackle the techdemo with as many resources as possible.
Q_x
Admin
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2010, 03:42:01 PM »

I'm having some serious networking issues. My ISP increased connection speed, but they're having some serious stability problems since then - almost any network activity is touched with it, including IRC, as well, as streaming or downloading. I will bother them in next Monday - I think they have lots of serious things to fix until then.
I'll try also if this is not my router issue.
So I will be on forums, mostly:)

And meanwhile have a look on some Bali traditional music (probably unrelated to PARPG, but who knows...):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldPMifPbngc
Some Arctic (Canada?) songs was also mind-opening experience of this week:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnGM0BlA95I
And most PARPGish thing I've found so far:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYqrWRiS204
« Last Edit: January 14, 2010, 04:01:17 PM by Q_x » Logged

shevegen
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2010, 05:59:03 AM »

Hey Q_x, do you think you will be able to attend a meeting in the coming few weeks on IRC?

We need some ass-kick dudes like you to ass-kick some other dudes into getting back on track for the project.

Q_x
Admin
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2010, 02:17:51 PM »

Hello!
I was just about to announce it.
My ISP admin wrote to me that 15 min DHCP lease renewal time is perfectly valid (I doubt it) and this is my fault if something is wrong (and he was right).
I spent whole yesterday evening fiddling with my modem and router. I've broken the case, voided varranty, upgraded firmware, reflashed, reflashed back, drink some whisky (this was the crucial moment)...
I finally resolved my connectivity problems - I've fallen into some obscure dd-wrt  default firewall settings issue, resolving it was not so obvious even for gurus.
But finally I'm online without 15 min interruptions caused by DHCP renewal.

So yes, IRC meeting in weekend is perfectly OK for me.
It would be nice to have some general thread to be prepared - time, subjects and so on. Or maybe there is one, and I'll see it in just a moment.

Q_x
Admin
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2010, 03:02:21 PM »

One more thing to have things crystal-clear:
I'm ready to devote about 2 hours daily just for 2D work for PARPG. My freelance work is mostly unpredictable, so take it as "more or less 10-15 hours weekly". This means something making or improving few-several simple illustrations, or making single one, but really detailed. Writing the Wiki, trolling the forums, or being paralyzed.

What I would need are the directions what exactly has to be done.

For now I see only one major task - meaning makking some serious background for the main menu. We'll see the rest after the meeting.
The photos I made  (http://forums.parpg.net/index.php?topic=643.msg7536#msg7536) were posted as a basis for the illustration, but there is not much spontaneous enthusiasm in the subject of the photos, so I think I'll simply try harder and shoot better, closer to what I understand to be the identity of PARPG.

The minor never-ending task is concept art, so I'll go into it after the 01/30 meeting for the time needed for the things to be clarified and moved forward (or until it liquefies and pours down between our fingers).

maximinus
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2010, 03:29:26 PM »

One issue that's not been addressed in PARPG so far is skinning the GUI, straight up 2D work, no 3D at all yet very important in getting the 'look' of PARPG right.

Would this be interesting to you?

Science is open-source religion
Q_x
Admin
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2010, 03:40:56 PM »

sure thing
but
1. I've seen really good attempts proposed
2. what are the requirements? "Bricks" needed? Any spec from pychan gurus?

maximinus
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2010, 04:00:54 PM »

sure thing
but
1. I've seen really good attempts proposed
2. what are the requirements? "Bricks" needed? Any spec from pychan gurus?

1: I've only seen mockups
2: Requirements? Dunno. Spec - give me a couple of days and I'll get back to you.

Science is open-source religion
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to: