Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Proposal for Bar concept characters.  (Read 10487 times)
EGO
Community member

View Profile Email
« on: October 30, 2009, 01:30:34 PM »

Hello again.

Righty - i'm about to start visuals on the bar for the TechDemo and i'll had a look and i can;t find any sort of characters or background for the bar. So i came up with some characters that i'll add into the bars drawings.

I'm not a writer by any means so any help on these would be good.

Malls post war bar - Jacobs

Jacob is the malls only bar and main social hang out to the malls population, based in an old clothing department. Jacob's is now  the hotbed of idle gossip and haven to the hard worked and distant traveller. The place of many a vice Jacobs caters to all.  

Jacob

Jacob is a gaunt man in his early 50s and has taken to the after events of the war like it was his calling. He now runs Jacobs with his 2 daughters - Synnove and Camilla. Hardly anyone remembers that this adept survivalist was once an accountant. Slowly building on his bar branching into whoring and Bed and board, He has grand plans that he fully intends to see through.
Full of bitterness and zeal masked in a demeanour of friendship and laughter, charismatic  to a flaw and sometimes a charming drunk. While being good company he tends to seek isolation and shuns the public whenever he can.  Jacob can be a cruel man that isn't to be crossed lightly.
Jacob can mostly be found in bars kitchen prepping food or taking stock.

Synnove

Synnove is a simple soul that has a naive air around her that would have killed a more aware person 10 times over, due gods good grace or under her father's watchful eyes she stumbles through life oblivious to its threats and dangers.
Is the butt of many a joke with the soldiers although out of ear shot of Jacob.  she is fond of wandering the areas surrounding the mall picking fruits for her father's distillery. She is more likely to hinder people she helps through her ignorance.  
Camilla
Camilla is a hard faced 21 year old who mimics her father's ire. Pretty and wise beyond doubt but has been serving in her father's bar since she could remember. Fending of leering drunks has forged her into a intolerant and cold person. She now all but runs front of house for her father as she comes of age.  
Despite all of Camilla's intolerance to others she is barraged with stories and gossip. She is always listening and is more informed than most people about the goings on in the Mall and further afield.

Dig
Dig is a feature in Jacobs. Propping up the end of the bar. He is a bear of a man that can drink all day and never wavier.  Full of tall tales and drinking games he is the life and soul of any session.
Dig is a patron of Jacobs of sorts, He makes his living breeding Huskies or so he'll tell you but he's more often than not in Jacobs. Now a days is tab is on the house as he acts as a heavy in the bar when things take a wrong turn. Camilla relies on him to back her up and he is the only person that can calm her down when her heckles are up.

Hoadir
 Digs fellow drinker - his husky.  

Kande & Cali
Kande and Cali are the 'entrainment' in the bar. They are terrible gossips and bitchy in nature. They are thick as thieves and probably are thief's too. They have been at Jacobs for only a short while as dancing girls and whores.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2009, 05:44:03 PM by mvBarracuda » Logged
shevegen
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2009, 09:38:43 PM »

Nicely fleshed out. Right now I still try to get pictures of some quest NPCs then perhaps we can find people who would like to do more NPC portraits.

Cleaning away the bureaucracy in PARPG to make our life easier.
zenbitz
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2009, 11:08:45 PM »

I have no comments yet, and I have to run, but wanted to say "Go Ego" because this looks pretty good to me, and I want to encourage contributions like this...

We might need Yorum to "Finnish-ize it".

We are not denying them an ending...
We are denying them a DISNEY ending - Icelus
zenbitz
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2009, 08:41:07 AM »

some minor issues...

if they have booze in the bar... the quest to brew beer doesn't make much sense.    I guess we could incorporate Jacob into to the beer quest...

I am also not sure how prostitution fits into this little community... not that i have anything against it... but what do people pay with?  It sort of seems... I dunno... too civilized for this little wilderness fortress.

Not that you couldn't have people offer to exchange sex for goods/services/protection... but as an organize commerce activity I am not sure it fits... 

I have to admit... why do we even have "the Inn" as I described it in the first place?  I just kinda made it up with no forethought... I guess it would be kind of a flop house/restaurant for travelers.   Maybe if we extend the area beyond the tech demo, we can extend the "brew beer" quest to actually setting up a winery/distillery or something.

Gaspard
Community member

The Blackest Heart

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2009, 12:47:51 PM »

"I'll fix the door the blizzard blew away, Maria, if you give me a blow job"
EGO
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2009, 03:36:26 PM »

"I'll fix the door the blizzard blew away, Maria, if you give me a blow job"

lol yeah, actually thats what it probably would be like. Prostitution is said to be the oldest profession in the world and some women and men/boys use sexuality to get by now it todays society so in a retrograded society it would come up more often. Say the girls offer their services to Jacob for bed and board and perhaps a little extra. the short running series Deadwood is pretty much what i see this being like.

some minor issues...

if they have booze in the bar... the quest to brew beer doesn't make much sense.    I guess we could incorporate Jacob into to the beer quest...

I am also not sure how prostitution fits into this little community... not that i have anything against it... but what do people pay with?  It sort of seems... I dunno... too civilized for this little wilderness fortress.

Not that you couldn't have people offer to exchange sex for goods/services/protection... but as an organize commerce activity I am not sure it fits... 

I have to admit... why do we even have "the Inn" as I described it in the first place?  I just kinda made it up with no forethought... I guess it would be kind of a flop house/restaurant for travelers.   Maybe if we extend the area beyond the tech demo, we can extend the "brew beer" quest to actually setting up a winery/distillery or something.

I see where that might be aan issue but just say the bar is dry, the distillery is either broken for now or they havent had luck scavenging anything to make drink. it's easier than changing exsiting storylines and exapnding the work load for the demo.

it's not very civil place but if you have stores then an inn would exist more likely than not and trade carvans from other places to stock the stores or traders to bring in porducts but it would depend on how delveoped you would be looking to make the place. 20 years plus is a long time tho.

What about batteries as a trade item like coins. energy is probably the most looked for resource. or any fuekl could be used as a money factor.
Gaspard
Community member

The Blackest Heart

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2009, 04:09:27 PM »

but how about it if the previous beer-maker just died, of old age or pneumonia or whatever. You could go through his notes and use his equipment to set up something bigger rather than just a one-off distillery
Yorum
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2009, 05:34:01 PM »

but how about it if the previous beer-maker just died, of old age or pneumonia or whatever. You could go through his notes and use his equipment to set up something bigger rather than just a one-off distillery

That's a good idea. The hook is simple, subtle and there is a freedom to make it into anykind of story without much of a problem.
zenbitz
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2009, 01:53:51 AM »

Well, the sort of glaring flaw in the "beer quest" (and I wrote it!) is that I keep asking myself... what the hell do these guys need the PLAYER for.??.. he's got the magic alchemical knowledge of sticking yeast in fruit and making booze out of it?   

It just seems weak...   But I don't mind it for the tech demo.

This just seems worse (to me) if the mall location HAS a brewery/distillery set up, but they forgot how it works when the guy who made it croaks?   It stretches credibility.

EGO
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2009, 11:13:04 AM »

Alright what about this.

The bar does have drink but they will only sell it for a huge premuim so no one can afford it. The drunk asks the Player to steal the recipe from the distillary and scavenge the ingredients.

Motive for drunk - need drink/s/spite against the bar.
Motive for player - drunk has found something in the dump he's willing to share. (this could be anything and end up being pretty useless to the player).

the mechs of the quest are still the same although the bar wouldnt be a great place to cook the brew. But i'm guessing a fire isnt hard to some by. 

Dave Matney
Community member

29640090 naveofhearts@hotmail.com naveking matneyx
View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2009, 03:21:00 PM »

What if the people involved in the bar quest simply can't get along long, at all... they all want the alcohol, but they'd rather stick knives in each other than work together to get it.
zenbitz
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2009, 07:34:03 PM »

I like EGO's version.  Everyone wants booze, but the barkeep is too expensive... we will have to mod the quest to have the player find a different place to cook it though.  What I like is that in the "full" game this will clearly get the Innkeeper pissed at you for busting up his monopoly.

It didn't really make sense that the Inn was the only place where you could have a stove, I mean other people gotta eat too.

Now the question...  what is the relationship between Jacob and Kimmo (leader)...   Does Kimmo tolerate Jacob because he's good for the community (provides a service for travelers), or does he NOT want him around, but Jacob has enough power to hold his position...

zenbitz
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2009, 07:18:03 AM »

well, I posted some thoughts about the relationship between the Inn and the fedex quest in the other thread.  Just some further comments about the "Inn denizens"

Hoadir
 Digs fellow drinker - his husky. 

You mean, actually a dog?  Confusing

Having Dig "raise huskies" gave me the idea that the compound should have a "Kennel" where dogs are kept .... although maybe everyone just uses them as extra heat and defense.

Candi and Cali to me seem like they are con artists more than whores.  They are not above using their bodies to get what they want, but essentially take advantage of various traveleres that come through the inn.  Jacob gets a cut (either as pimp or fence) of whatever they get.

I think we still need a good reason why Kimma doesn't like Jacob, but is forced to keep him (and his crew) around....  Jacob must have some other source of power other than the Inn, the girls, and the booze...

EGO
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2009, 06:04:57 PM »

Cool. righty then.

Hoadir  - is just dig's dog that hangs about in the bar with him.

what if Jacobs other assets are the trade caravans themselves. He established the routes north and had come up with them to expand out of a more southern stronghold.

This would give a hold over kimma due to him having the power to effectively reduce the trade into the Mall to zero and this will also tie with the fedex chain as he could be convinced that the mall is a lost cause and 'move' his assets route to another settelment which would trigger an exodus from the mall leaving it all but dead.
zenbitz
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2009, 09:38:51 PM »

that seems to makes sense... also goes with having the mall at a big "crossroads" (which is of course, a nod to Dawn of the Dead)

However, whomever put the mall in Sodankya (Lapland) forgot to note that this area is "off the world map".
Maybe outside Lapua instead..

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to: