Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Tutorial: creating 3d art for PARPG?  (Read 4122 times)
mvBarracuda
Admin
Community member

View Profile Email
« on: October 28, 2009, 01:59:00 PM »

Heya lads, I recently stumbled over a problem and would like to hear your opinion how we can try to address this.

Adrian, an interested new 3d artist, is still trying to figure out how to set up his 3d modeling software for PARPG. Right now we have a blender rendering setup in SVN that contains the following information as far as I know (please correct me if I'm wrong):
- Camera rotation, tilt and height
- Base tile size
- Light / shadow setup

Unfortunately artists who are not using Blender can't import this rendering setup into their modeling tool of choice. It would be great if we could compile a tutorial how to set up your modeling tool of choice to produce art for PARPG. Is there a generic way to describe certain concepts (camera rotation, tilt, height, etc.) or do they basically vary from 3d modeling software to 3d modeling software?

In case these concepts are different, it would be still useful to describe how to manually reproduce the Blender rendering setup that we have in SVN. I guess an experienced 3d artist could use this information and apply it to his 3d software of choice and could figure out the correct settings this way. Once we've figured them out we should document these settings at the wiki and consider to provide a rendering setup for this specific 3d modeling tool as well.

Question for Sirren: what kind of settings (camera rotation, tilt, height, etc.) do you use in Softimage XSI and how hard would it be to create a rendering setup for your tool of choice that basically contains a 1*1m base tile, camera settings and light setup.
EGO
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2009, 02:25:37 PM »

Can you not have a staging area saved in blender?  IE rig up the camera and lighting and import object - center them into the stage area and click?

I know it's a faff on for the person who is doing the donkey work of setting up each object but it will be consistant graphically at least.

mvBarracuda
Admin
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2009, 03:00:27 PM »

You mean having one developer on the team who imports models created by other modelers and renders them in Blender to ensure that all rendered objects look consistent?
EGO
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2009, 03:28:42 PM »

Yes pretty much, so it wont matter much what his set up is he can export as an Obj and someone apt in Blender can capture it for iso. getting the lighting/camera at the correct angles.

Either that or someone can set up a blender wroking file with the set up correctly done and all he has to do is download blender, grab the setup file off svn and move the model into place.
Zimble
Community member

GMT+1

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2009, 05:05:34 PM »

I added (hopefully) all the information I found in the basic blender rendering setup to the wiki: Manually_creating_the_rendering_setup

I'm not sure if this is of any use for people with other 3D software and if your able to create a copy of the blender setup with it. But worth a try.

mvBarracuda
Admin
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2009, 05:28:42 PM »

I think it will be useful zimble :-) Thanks a bunch, I'll point our new 3d modeler to it.
Continuum
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2009, 08:41:09 PM »

I successfully created the tile, but I wasn't able to re-create position of the light, since I did get totally different values in my scene. Maybe another attempt will be more lucky...
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: