Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Get WingIDE (great Python IDE + debugger for Linux, Mac & Win32) for free  (Read 8788 times)
mvBarracuda
Admin
Community member

View Profile Email
« on: October 23, 2009, 02:31:56 PM »

You might already know about it but in case if not: WingIDE is a great cross platform Python IDE that comes together with one of the best Python debuggers. Here comes the best part: even the professional version of it is free of charge if you use it for open source development purposes.

You can get your free copy here:
https://wingware.com/store/purchase

Make sure that you choose the open source licensing option and use the PARPG project and SVN URL as reference.

Thanks to AndrewBC for the pointer.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2009, 02:35:58 PM by mvBarracuda » Logged
saritor
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2009, 03:39:24 PM »

Just a note. You will have to be able to identify yourself as a developer as well. possibly needing a few patches into SVN to prove this before they will allow you to receive the license(s).
zenbitz
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2009, 11:14:01 PM »

Better than eclipse?

We are not denying them an ending...
We are denying them a DISNEY ending - Icelus
mvBarracuda
Admin
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2009, 11:43:12 PM »

What do you dislike about Eclipse zenbitz? Might be hard to answer if you don't provide any criteria to measure it.
amo-ej1
Community member

elie@de-brauwer.be
View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2009, 09:18:57 AM »

I just e-mailed them the request form for an open soruce license ... i'll keep you guys posted how it went.

I tried the free version myself already, which is actually worse than eclipse (it lacks completion for example), but I must say it has some potential.
mvBarracuda
Admin
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2009, 09:35:57 AM »

Did you test the personal or the professional edition of Wing?
amo-ej1
Community member

elie@de-brauwer.be
View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2009, 12:50:09 PM »

The 101 edition Wink this is the el-cheapo version (read: free http://www.wingware.com/downloads) version, which lacks ... well almost anything Wink.
saritor
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2009, 02:59:52 PM »

Got Pro licenses and I actually find it to be quite a nice little IDE. Then again, i am used to using syntax highlighted nano :p but its nice how on linux it will sync up with svn within the editor. as well as give you a little python interpreter instance running and a few other things. I am not normally a huge IDE fan, but its definitely nice, and doesn't feel overly bloated to me.

I guess if cant tell, I like it. :p Simplistic but has the right features.
amo-ej1
Community member

elie@de-brauwer.be
View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2009, 03:07:06 PM »

Well, this morning i filled out the form, printed it, scanned it and e-mailed the form to their sales e-mail address (they require a signature stating that you will only use it for an open source project). And a couple of hours later they e-mailed me a license key ...
zenbitz
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2009, 08:26:54 PM »

I don't really DISLIKE eclipse... I don't really use IDEs anyway.  But I have eclipse installed and have used it a bit for Java (even perl when I am offline and cannot use emacs on a remote server).  I think it's OK... but I don't want to bother with a new IDE if it's not OBVIOUSLY better than eclipse/python.

Switching cost and all...

We are not denying them an ending...
We are denying them a DISNEY ending - Icelus
amo-ej1
Community member

elie@de-brauwer.be
View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2009, 06:39:17 PM »

hmmz, i just gave wingide a try this afternoon and I must say I like this more than pydev. I just created a project, added the parpg dir. It found out it was living in svn by itself. All I had to do was select the main function and I was good to go. (in pydev this can be a pain, you would need to check your project out of svn into a new project and you shouldn't mess with it outside pydev). It completes rather nice, the debugging (although I'm not such a big fan of using debuggers) is rather intuitive and very functional. So I must say it won't be the last time I started it.

Nevertheless I have two points of criticism:
* when navigating the GUI, it feels slowish sometimes (even eclipse behaves a little faster (once you got the monster in ram Wink ) )
* if you set the editor in whitespace mode to show spaces/tabs/EOLs, the EOLs are displayed by the text 'LF' which is rather monstrous
Kaydeth
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2009, 02:28:27 PM »

(in pydev this can be a pain, you would need to check your project out of svn into a new project and you shouldn't mess with it outside pydev).

I assume you're talking about the pydev extension of Eclipse? If so that's not a true statement. Although it's compeltely unintuitive you can migrate and existing SVN checkout into eclipse with the Team->share project command. At least I was able to do it on windows with a tortoise SVN checkout. Also I can still run commands from tortoise and haven't a seen a problem with it propagating to Eclipse.
amo-ej1
Community member

elie@de-brauwer.be
View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2009, 08:36:13 AM »

Well I didn't look into importing a project for a long time (checking it out was the fastest solution) typically because as you say it's not very intuitive. And for some odd reason Eclipse/pydev 'forgot' that my project was in svn, I checked it out and at a certain moment in time all the svn annotations disappeared.

On the other hand, I must say I'm starting to like wingide .... I used the feedback button to complain/suggest some things I encountered (e.g. eclipse contains a history of your last commit messages and has commit templates etc) and they responded back to me within a day.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: