Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: [REQUEST] [3D] Pile of Wood - Part of Techdemo I 2009  (Read 16217 times)
Q_x
Admin
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2009, 11:44:28 AM »

1. Add to Imageshack and copy given link here.
2. If the image is under 128 kB - click on "additional options" under text box and attach it there.
3. In Wiki there is special page for uploading stuff (usually in the menu on the left side).
4. In trac you just attach file - just remember to change your name when doing so. There is a limit of 6 files/hour.

BrandonJenkins
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2009, 12:11:15 PM »

1. Add to Imageshack and copy given link here.
2. If the image is under 128 kB - click on "additional options" under text box and attach it there.
3. In Wiki there is special page for uploading stuff (usually in the menu on the left side).
4. In trac you just attach file - just remember to change your name when doing so. There is a limit of 6 files/hour.

Sweet. before I hoist the whole thing up the Wiki, take a look at it and let me know what you think. the first image is a simple screenshot of the base texture with no editing.

This is the wood pile after a lot of editing. Free grunge maps I found online and a lot of Photoshop filters and renders. This is also a screenshot. There are no lights in either scene to get an accurate look at the texture.

Lemme know what ya think.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2009, 12:13:16 PM by BrandonJenkins » Logged
Sirren
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2009, 12:45:50 PM »

Thumbs up for your first version Cool
If you want to add some dirt please feel free to do so, but I prefere the first one nonetheless.
BrandonJenkins
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2009, 09:48:53 PM »

Thumbs up for your first version Cool
If you want to add some dirt please feel free to do so, but I prefere the first one nonetheless.

Alright. I'll tone down the grunge maps a bit. (I save out all my PSDs so that should only take a couple mins) and re-post it here before I render it.

You mentioned a specific 3 point or 2 point/AO pass lighting setup. Is there an example I could reference?

*edited post*

I just finished editing  the log pile. It's still an unlit screenshot of Maya's viewport. When I render, should I use Normal/Spec maps at all? Lemme know what ya'll think.

« Last Edit: November 26, 2009, 10:34:52 PM by BrandonJenkins » Logged
Q_x
Admin
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2009, 10:40:55 PM »

Is it easy to make bump-map out of the same texture it is used as a bark (I dunno, only made few bare low-polys in my whole life)? If yes - how about it, just to make things little bit coarse without much work?

I'm also yes-yes for the first pile, the second is textured much to uniformly brown, as if it was mahogany.

BrandonJenkins
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2009, 10:51:37 PM »

Is it easy to make bump-map out of the same texture it is used as a bark (I dunno, only made few bare low-polys in my whole life)? If yes - how about it, just to make things little bit coarse without much work?

I'm also yes-yes for the first pile, the second is textured much to uniformly brown, as if it was mahogany.

I use a program called CrazyBump, which can rock out Normal, Specular, and AO maps in seconds. Literally. I can crank out 3 maps and edit them to look good in roughly 5 minutes.

The very first log pile I posted is literally a CGTexrtures texture slapped on with no editing what so ever. Should we still go with it? or should I re-do it?
« Last Edit: November 26, 2009, 10:58:17 PM by BrandonJenkins » Logged
Sirren
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2009, 11:48:40 PM »

First of all please take a look at this:
http://wiki.parpg.net/Graphics:Workflow#Rendering_setup
That's a wiki page explaining the game rendering setup. After that please try to render your logs at game size and see what the result looks like. After that you'll decide if bump/normal mapping are in order.
BrandonJenkins
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2009, 12:02:54 AM »

First of all please take a look at this:
http://wiki.parpg.net/Graphics:Workflow#Rendering_setup
That's a wiki page explaining the game rendering setup. After that please try to render your logs at game size and see what the result looks like. After that you'll decide if bump/normal mapping are in order.

Alrighty. I'll plug in these settings and get rendering soon. Thanksgiving at my house begins shortly, so the renders may show up late tomorrow.

Which version do you want me to light and render? The very first one I posted or the latest one I posted?

Thanks!
« Last Edit: November 27, 2009, 12:09:36 AM by BrandonJenkins » Logged
Sirren
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2009, 12:29:43 AM »

I'd say try all the three versions you have. The last you posted is my favourite, but some variations will come handy.
In the meantime have a good Thanksgiving day all you from the States.
shevegen
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2009, 01:07:53 AM »

Yeah have a good thanksgiving day! Zenbitz has some holiday time with family too as far as I know

From the 3 pics I think the last one is the best, then the first one. The middle one is a bit too dark for my taste, I can not make enough details

Btw I love that the logs don't look perfect! Some look as if someone chopped into them.

Cleaning away the bureaucracy in PARPG to make our life easier.
BrandonJenkins
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2009, 07:33:09 AM »

Alrighty. I'll light and render the latest version ( pile C) and the first version (pile A) and see what you all think. I'm wiped out tonight, so I'll probably get to it tomorrow.

Hope all of you had a great holiday.

Q_x
Admin
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2009, 08:29:37 AM »

CGTextures licensing seems to be not compatible with our licensing (CC-BY-SA 3) - it disallows commercial usage. I may be wrong.

Amount of licensing issues v. other issues is really funny in FLOSS things. That is not the way it should go, but there is no other way - as long, as Disney's money will be more important than whole world's culture.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2009, 04:31:59 PM by Q_x » Logged

mvBarracuda
Admin
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2009, 12:51:10 PM »

As noted in the license thread, the situation is: we try to use as few assets that are released under non-commercial terms as possible. CGtextures are released under NC terms so that means we should try to avoid them.

This said: assets that are released under NC terms are better than having no assets at all. If finding good textures is what slows us down, I prefer to rather ship our first release with NC content than to ship it with really few content that all permits commercial usage. I'll cover the topic in our next blog update at Monday.
mvBarracuda
Admin
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2009, 03:19:48 PM »

The woodpile has now its own ticket at trac:
http://parpg-trac.cvsdude.com/parpg/ticket/216
Q_x
Admin
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 27, 2009, 04:01:16 PM »

You'll find free textures repositories with commercial usage allowed in http://wiki.parpg.net/Graphics:Free_assets.

Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to: