Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: [REQUEST] [3D] Pile of Wood - Part of Techdemo I 2009  (Read 16221 times)
shevegen
Community member

View Profile
« on: October 23, 2009, 08:59:07 PM »

I am doing this here, because I want to tackle one thing at a time. And the woodpile seems to be a bit difficult ...

Before I start, you can add as much snow as you want, so if you think that some areas are too difficult, just toss in some snow on them.

What we need is wood, wood, wood. Trees trees trees... logs, beams... small parts of trees, sticks, branches...
This will be needed for techdemo I but I think we will have a LOT of good use of wood lateron. Wood will be immensely important (it already is), even more so in a post apocalyptic setting where ice makes obtaining wood a lot harder.
And you can burn wood... or build something with it... Wood rocks.

Before I continue, anyway, have a look at some pictures.
My favourite one is this here because it captures how a wood pile might look in total:

If you want add some snow mentally to that. Zenbitz found these btw.

The next one is nice because it shows you that someone ordered them.

Now let me paste what zenbitz wrote:

<zenbitz_working_> in general, I think there should be "done" piles (small med large wood)
<zenbitz_working_> and then a "working" area where the bigger, raw stuff is brought in and
<zenbitz_working_> chopped up by the chopper guy.

But basically, I think, EVERYTHING that is related to wood, trees and such, will be important.

That includes textures. Feel free to add in your stuff or ideas, i will be googling a bit more
for textures hehe...

It would be really cool if we could get a lot of trees and woods and beams, and remember
if something is difficult, put snow on it Cheesy
« Last Edit: November 15, 2009, 06:42:28 PM by Gaspard » Logged

Cleaning away the bureaucracy in PARPG to make our life easier.
Gaspard
Community member

The Blackest Heart

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2009, 06:41:49 PM »

Okay, I drew some quick ideas for the modelers. Some stacked raw material and maybe a few different stacks of already chopped fire-ready wood and a stump on which you chop the wood. I added the axe to indicate that. Maybe two versions, one with the axe, and when player removes it - one without the axe :) I roughly indicated the area these props would vacate with the lighter blue.

* woodchopping.jpg (107.93 KB, 750x534 - viewed 497 times.)
zenbitz
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2009, 06:57:28 AM »

I think the KEY thing to remember (I think this is above) is that this is A LOT of wood.
Most of an entire underground parking lot filled with a giant woodpile.  Wood is what runs the whole settlement.

We are not denying them an ending...
We are denying them a DISNEY ending - Icelus
mvBarracuda
Admin
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2009, 10:12:49 AM »

Looks cool to me Gaspard, I like the isometric concept art approach :-)
Q_x
Admin
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2009, 10:35:53 AM »

Well may whole design turn this way?
I know - we have to keep PA climate, rust and decay must be everywhere, but what do you feel about using non-manga cartoons here? Treat it just as a mind game, not a serious proposition.
When things would be kept in dirty grayish bleached color palette (as discussed lastly), this thing can be visually attractive as well.
I mean I know this is bad idea, how bad is it, and just how do you think about it? How about not beeing falloutish, arcanumish, how about working faster, doing some genuine graphics that hav'nt been done in such kind of game yet?
Seems to be viral to me, interesting enough, thats all.

BrandonJenkins
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2009, 09:35:37 AM »

I could crank out some wood piles. From logs, to planks, to beams etc. Whatever you guys need/want.

I can also work out a chopping stump and axe and some tree stumps if ya'll want. I could model these things out in Maya and texture them in Photoshop.  I'm still trying to figure out Blender... (hurg X.x)
xbogx
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2009, 01:11:30 PM »

Well may whole design turn this way?
I know - we have to keep PA climate, rust and decay must be everywhere, but what do you feel about using non-manga cartoons here? Treat it just as a mind game, not a serious proposition.
When things would be kept in dirty grayish bleached color palette (as discussed lastly), this thing can be visually attractive as well.
I mean I know this is bad idea, how bad is it, and just how do you think about it? How about not beeing falloutish, arcanumish, how about working faster, doing some genuine graphics that hav'nt been done in such kind of game yet?
Seems to be viral to me, interesting enough, thats all.

have you seen these? http://www.nma-fallout.com/forum/album_pic.php?pic_id=826
I'd love to play a game with graphics like that. It would probably work with prerendered character sprites..
shevegen
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2009, 02:14:41 PM »

Hey BrandonJenkins I guess anything you can bring up with wood would help a lot.

Log or piles are most important i guess. Chopping stumps could be used on the outer area of the map (inside the mall area it would not make much sense to have chopping stumps hehe)

Cleaning away the bureaucracy in PARPG to make our life easier.
BrandonJenkins
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2009, 10:37:27 PM »

Hey BrandonJenkins I guess anything you can bring up with wood would help a lot.

Log or piles are most important i guess. Chopping stumps could be used on the outer area of the map (inside the mall area it would not make much sense to have chopping stumps hehe)

Sounds good to me. I'm currently uploading a ton of assets into the Unity game I'm working on, but I'll have free time tonight and tomorrow to start working on them.

What are the specs for the logs/wood piles? Poly count? Texture budget? I can work really low specs and really high specs, so either way.
mvBarracuda
Admin
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2009, 10:43:09 PM »

Whatever works right for you Brandon. The game will use the rendered version of the models so polycount does not matter from this perspective (besides the obvious increased rendering time drawback). Not sure what the other artists are using terms of texture width, any idea?
BrandonJenkins
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2009, 01:17:23 AM »

Whatever works right for you Brandon. The game will use the rendered version of the models so polycount does not matter from this perspective (besides the obvious increased rendering time drawback). Not sure what the other artists are using terms of texture width, any idea?

When you say render versions, do you want me to render the images out in Maya? Or is that what Blender does?
Sirren
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2009, 01:20:09 AM »

Whatever texture size you can find/put together..
I googled for wood/bark textures before you (Brandon) chose to undertake this task and I'm not impressed about the quantity/quality of the stuff suitable for our license. Anyway, for me 512x512 is a kind of base size.

EDIT:
You can render everything in Maya, provided you can replicate the blender lighting setup (I.E. number of lights, orientation and strength).
« Last Edit: November 26, 2009, 01:22:36 AM by Sirren » Logged
BrandonJenkins
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2009, 04:47:10 AM »

Whatever texture size you can find/put together..
I googled for wood/bark textures before you (Brandon) chose to undertake this task and I'm not impressed about the quantity/quality of the stuff suitable for our license. Anyway, for me 512x512 is a kind of base size.

EDIT:
You can render everything in Maya, provided you can replicate the blender lighting setup (I.E. number of lights, orientation and strength).

I use CG textures as the base for all my photo-referencing. I then hand paint and stylize everything to suit the needs of the project. It shouldn't be too hard for me to crank out some wood textures in PS either using Render >Fibers> Liquify.  Things like that.

For lighting in the renders, do you guys want a basic 3 point lights set up to get an overall balanced render of the object? Or a basic AO pass? Is the engine doing the final rendering, or do the objects need to be pre-lit?

Sorry I'm asking so many questions. I'm just new to the group and I want to actually help, and not be a hindrance to the project.

Sirren
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2009, 10:13:10 AM »

You have to use a pre-built lighting setup. Either treee point lighting or two lights and Ambient occlusion (That's what I use). In short the engine needs fully pre-rendered sprites.
I'd like to use cgtextures pics, but this site license does not fit with this game's one..
BrandonJenkins
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2009, 10:34:30 AM »

You have to use a pre-built lighting setup. Either treee point lighting or two lights and Ambient occlusion (That's what I use). In short the engine needs fully pre-rendered sprites.
I'd like to use cgtextures pics, but this site license does not fit with this game's one..

Oh? I thought if you edited the image enough so that it's not a blatant copy paste scenario it would fly...If not then I can find other resources.

Would vetertex lighting and bake lights work for pre lit? I can still render it out just the same.

Also, I've started work on a basic pile of 6 logs. I modeled it and uv'd it in about a half an hour. The texture I threw on just as the basic first layer in about 20 minutes.

Tri Poly count is 960 ( figured I'd go kinda high for nice shape) and the Texture map is a single 512. Keep in mind this is a direct phtosource, so it looks really hokey as a texture right now.

.....how do I load images? lol
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to: