Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9
Print
Author Topic: [WIP] In-Game Portraits + feedback and discussion  (Read 66903 times)
JustinOperable
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #105 on: January 04, 2010, 04:32:02 AM »

Ma Niity draft. Still gonna mess with it a fair amount, but I thought I'd let people see, and C+C

http://i329.photobucket.com/albums/l375/JustinOperable/MaNiity-1.png
« Last Edit: January 04, 2010, 05:19:18 AM by JustinOperable » Logged
maximinus
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #106 on: January 04, 2010, 02:41:42 PM »

As an artwork, it looks great to me. But he looks a bit like a Indian Sikh with that dark skin and the scarf around his head.

Science is open-source religion
zenbitz
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: January 04, 2010, 09:23:42 PM »

Kimmo has to be kind of old from a story perspective.  He has been the leader of the mini-mall for ~20 years already.  I picture him as mid 30s during the war.  35+20 = 55, and that's not even including "wear and tear of the post-apocalypse".

People should keep that in mind when doing the portraits - is that since the world "ended" 20 years ago... people who fought in the war or had lives in the pre-apocalpyse are all around 40 at least.

We are not denying them an ending...
We are denying them a DISNEY ending - Icelus
neutiquam
« Reply #108 on: January 07, 2010, 02:06:23 AM »

That Ula girl... Looks very nice! But if you're trying to catch a Finnish name here, the name in Finnish would be Ulla with two l's. If the person is not Finnish, then nvm Tongue.
JustinOperable
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #109 on: January 07, 2010, 08:34:00 AM »

Thanks! I actually wasn't intending to name the character. The reference I used was a friend of mine of Polish descent whose real name is Ula. In game she can be called whatever we like, but I figured Ula was as good a filename as any considering it is a northern european name of some sort. I doubt everyone in Finland has Finnish names.
shevegen
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: January 07, 2010, 01:49:03 PM »

You know how it goes ... once anyone suggested a name, this name usually sticks Cheesy

Cleaning away the bureaucracy in PARPG to make our life easier.
skymandr
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #111 on: January 08, 2010, 11:06:04 PM »

Finished the piece I was working on and altered the guard to have a new background.

http://i329.photobucket.com/albums/l375/JustinOperable/Guard-1.png

A cute young woman like that should really have a name! Mind if I suggest some?

You know how it goes ... once anyone suggested a name, this name usually sticks Cheesy

It might be worth starting a thread about this though. Having realistic (and coherent with the region it is to be set in) names will add to the overall impression, and inconsistencies will detract from the experience.
For example: Besides spelling Ulla with two lls, Synnove should really be Synnöve (or Synnøve for Norway/Denmark). Since ö/ø makes no sense to people outside the Nordic countries, I guess it might be appropriate to exchange it for oe - Synnoeve?
« Last Edit: January 08, 2010, 11:37:58 PM by skymandr » Logged
shevegen
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: January 09, 2010, 01:01:45 AM »

The last name of the female guard was Jenna. Before that her name was Janie. If you have a more appropriate one go ahead. (My only complaint is with Skwisgaar as name, when everyone else has more or less ok names)

Anyway, as for Ma looking "dark". I think justinOperable had an earlier draft of Ma where she looked differently. There were no colours used, but it was pretty clearly visible that she is old. I think that was what he intended.

It now looks very different from the other Ma sketch. Personally I liked the other Ma more even though she had no colours Cheesy

Cleaning away the bureaucracy in PARPG to make our life easier.
comscar
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #113 on: January 22, 2010, 03:22:17 AM »

http://img30.imageshack.us/img30/4705/parpghooker.jpg

so i though i'd try to draw the prostitute scam artist.

how's this look so far? drawing women is totally walking on foreign grounds to me. any good suggestions on what to improve?
maximinus
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #114 on: January 22, 2010, 01:47:50 PM »

Imageshack is blocked here. Can you attach to the forums for me?

comscar
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #115 on: January 22, 2010, 03:31:41 PM »

said the file size is too large...

http://fc09.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2010/021/5/b/PARPG_prostitute_sketch_by_comscar.jpg

hope that will work
maximinus
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #116 on: January 22, 2010, 03:38:37 PM »

The eyes look plaintive but the mouth looks angry, if you understand me. But it's a good start, much better than I could do  Smiley

zenbitz
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: January 22, 2010, 09:13:08 PM »

She looks too hopeless and pathetic for the character "as written" (all 3 sentences, maybe 6 if you include dialog).   The bar girls are more like "Gold digger" types... they won't just sleep with anyone for the post-apoc equivalent of $20 (a can of tuna and a knife?) but pick and choose their victims.  They might even just trick you out of your stuff.  Tough survivor types.

We are not denying them an ending...
We are denying them a DISNEY ending - Icelus
comscar
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #118 on: January 23, 2010, 04:58:38 AM »

http://fc05.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2010/022/1/9/PARPG_prostitute_sketch_by_comscar.jpg

hope this looks better. any suggestions?
Q_x
Admin
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: January 23, 2010, 10:13:35 AM »

Looks like you have a tablet, am I right?

Look at this piece:
http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/images/G/01/books/hmh-ems/TheSmilingGirlLG.jpg

What are things you can improve:
Adding some light and shadow that the girl would have some volume.
Having hair less vinyl and more hairy.
Nose shorter, lips up.
Not having whole ear "outside".
Develop your own brushes with more natural look.

Don't be so shy, use some "power" - the shadows are barely visible. You can always undo some things if you don't like it. Or do some screwed part again

My method (when not copying from a photo) is to work with white and black only (so that I change it with X key) with more and more transparency (starting with 50 and going to 20) and smaller and smaller brushes. Not as a dogma, but as a general rule. So in very first minute I have more or less sketched volumes and I go more and more into detail with time. Coloring all is the very last part for me.

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9
Print
Jump to: