Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9
Print
Author Topic: [WIP] In-Game Portraits + feedback and discussion  (Read 42808 times)
comscar
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #45 on: October 30, 2009, 03:00:29 AM »

so here is the snow shoveler (again):

http://img691.imageshack.us/img691/6632/snowman.jpg

i tried to make him look young n' stupid, but he looks more like he's high...

hopefully it's more of what you had in mind?

shevegen
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 30, 2009, 09:55:15 PM »

Hehe nice style

Only one small complaint which is the logo on his hat, I think it would be better without logo for now.

Cleaning away the bureaucracy in PARPG to make our life easier.
zenbitz
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 31, 2009, 12:59:18 AM »

I like "a" logo but Nuka Cola is a bit too much.

Maybe Sisu: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sisu_Auto

We are not denying them an ending...
We are denying them a DISNEY ending - Icelus
shevegen
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 06, 2009, 01:01:25 PM »

Here is a LKW with SISU logo, image is quite large so I only post the link to it here

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/9f/Truck_Sisu_Kuorma-auto_H4446_C.jpg

Gaspard
Community member

The Blackest Heart

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 09, 2009, 05:38:10 PM »

Comscar gave me the green light for doing a paintover for his drawing of the shoveler, so I digi-tuh-lized the drawing.
You guys think something like this will be okay as the shoveler ?

shevegen
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 09, 2009, 08:23:32 PM »

Haha yeah these are great!

I'll add that to the wiki later, as well as with possible dialogue options explaining his SISU hat

Q_x
Admin
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 09, 2009, 10:07:35 PM »

Are we sticking in 100% to this unfinished look (with portraits, of course)?
How I'm happy not seeing manga here!

Cheers,
Luke

Gaspard
Community member

The Blackest Heart

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 09, 2009, 11:03:26 PM »

It's an unfinished project ; )

What do you mean by finished anyway ? More polished ?
I guess I could do that.
Though the portraits won't be THIS big in the game. But if they are, then they could, yes, use some polishing up.

To tell the truth there isn't a very centralized art direction for this project. At least not at this point. It would also be difficult to achieve that with all the different artists with different sets of skills and areas of expertise.

I thought about a spot like a Lead Art Director or -Designer at one point, but I didn't think of a way how this could be utilized in real life.
Any thoughts ? Would it be necessary ?
zenbitz
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 10, 2009, 12:28:39 AM »

yes, we need to have an art director or lead artist.  Just someone who can make go/no go decisions on styles and assign tasks.

Did you just volunteer?

Gaspard
Community member

The Blackest Heart

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 10, 2009, 07:52:34 AM »

I started a discussion on the Lead Developers in general and specifically the Lead Artist  spot here: http://forums.parpg.net/index.php?topic=539.msg6342#new
« Last Edit: November 10, 2009, 08:04:11 AM by Gaspard » Logged
Q_x
Admin
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 10, 2009, 12:31:46 PM »

I'm in general non-problematic person and just wanted to know if we are sticking to this stilistic or aestheric look in case I would want to provide some works on my own (maybe, some day). Unfinished or sketchy - meaning there are signs or tracks of tools used. It is easy to imagine whole spectrum and many pathes of (un-)finishing the works from de Koning's style to Chuck Close's.
Just wondering if this is some final point of such wandering.
Cheers,
Luke

zenbitz
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 11, 2009, 12:51:03 AM »

Luke -
That's the whole issue... someone needs to take charge and define the final style.  Between that and creating trac tickets (and perhaps organizing meetings) presto - "Lead" Artist. 

Of course, that person is not an absolute dictator - the other devs have to agree that the style chosen fits the game, and he has to convince artists to actually draw/model/paint what he likes.

I'm no artist and cannot really say much beyond "I like it" or "I don't like it" or "more detail" or "less detail".  I suppose I can say "doesn't fit with the other art".    But it's not really my area of expertise.

Gaspard
Community member

The Blackest Heart

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 11, 2009, 10:41:06 AM »

I'm in general non-problematic person and just wanted to know if we are sticking to this stilistic or aestheric look in case I would want to provide some works on my own (maybe, some day). Unfinished or sketchy - meaning there are signs or tracks of tools used. It is easy to imagine whole spectrum and many pathes of (un-)finishing the works from de Koning's style to Chuck Close's.
Just wondering if this is some final point of such wandering.
Cheers,
Luke

Hey I don't think of you asking about it as you being problematic  Cool
Sorry for the delay with the reply here, I had very little time the past few days.

To be honest I'm trying out things myself. This is my first time doing something like this and I'm learning on the way. Basically my thought is to try and put together a "PROPOSAL: style and overall direction in the art department" or somesuch, with existing art from existing games and explanations, just to make it easier (or more difficult) to try and keep an over-all mood consistent. Then we'd discuss it over at the forums and it's good that we have new active artists, who want a say in this, monologues suck. If anyone's got many thoughts and has got time on their hands, they're welcome to start working on such a proposal, too. The more proposals, all the more work - but also better results !

Here - http://forums.parpg.net/index.php?topic=539.msg6342#new - I said that such a person (Leading Designer/Artist) has a lot of responsibility, one of those IMO is motivating other artists, if possible and stepping on toes as little as possible. What zenbitz said:
Of course, that person is not an absolute dictator - the other devs have to agree

further discussion on how to improve the co-operation between artists should go here, from now on, to keep this the In-Game Portraits thread:

http://forums.parpg.net/index.php?topic=539.msg6342#new

Q_x
Admin
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 15, 2009, 09:07:43 AM »

Just can't believe this fits in under 35 kB...
However - elecronics guy, more in "writing" section, i believe.
Futhrer improvements will be done if needed. File (xcf + png or whatever) will be uploaded when requested.

This guy lives way more different, than ordinary guys from his village, so he can afford being nice and clean, so maybe little different style will be OK.

In fact this is easy and fast artpiece, took me 20 min.

* elecronic.jpg (31.42 KB, 600x960 - viewed 470 times.)

Gaspard
Community member

The Blackest Heart

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 15, 2009, 01:18:29 PM »

20 minutes ? Isn't that a bit too fast ?
I try to spend at least a couple of hours on what I work on. If you don't have that much time in one go then you can work in spurts of 20 minutes over a couple of days just to give the image a slightly greater 'finish'.

You might want to recompose it a bit, so that when it comes down to cropping it for the in-game purposes, the composition wouldn't be too off.
What I mean is, although it has not been completely decided yet how large the portraits are going to be in the game, but at one point they are going to be resized and cropped. Your image is pretty unbalanced for that, right now. Try to keep this in mind when composing it.

Alas, and it has this slight feel of an American-Jewish actor smiling into the camera. He might be clean-cut and -shaven for a post-apoc person, but it's still post-apoc ;) It's a pretty gloomy world out there, there would have to be a very good reason for a person to smile like that all the time

Again a reminder that the in-game art is going to be PNGs because that's loss-less.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9
Print
Jump to: