Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9
Print
Author Topic: [WIP] In-Game Portraits + feedback and discussion  (Read 54819 times)
comscar
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #90 on: December 28, 2009, 06:43:52 PM »

hey gaspard, are you using any blender tools, or are those all transparent brush strokes you're using?
Gaspard
Community member

The Blackest Heart

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: December 28, 2009, 07:41:41 PM »

I actually try to use as much of opaque brushstrokes as I ca (like in Jacob and Kimmo portraits, and some of the earlier ones), but I went a bit over the edge with the girls' portraits, I'd like to redo them one day, after the tech demo though. Too blurry and the shapes aren't reading too well.

With the dog, I just used a round sharp edge brush and the pen pressure opacity setting turned on. That was I control the contrast and transparency to blend different colours and tones (not too many colours in these pictures). I also try to keep the brightness of most colours calmer.
shevegen
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: December 28, 2009, 09:17:35 PM »

I still think they are great. That brushstroke is really cool.

The only thing that I would like to point out is that sometimes especially the outline seems blurry - I am fine if the rest is blurry, a blurry bluish background is not so bad, but the outline of the portraits can be weird.

If you look at your Kimmo portrait:

Edit: I tried to draw red lines next to what I meant with "outline"

Face is very cool, but look at the shoulder area with the clothes, it seems as if there is no clear end for his clothes. If you ever get to redo them, do you think you could make the boundaries from clothes-to-background sharper, or more defined? Perhaps it is just my personal preference. I am not sure that is easily possible with brushstrokes alone.

If you look from far away, it is no problem at all, but if you look closer it is a bit strange
« Last Edit: December 28, 2009, 09:21:49 PM by shevegen » Logged

Cleaning away the bureaucracy in PARPG to make our life easier.
comscar
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #93 on: December 28, 2009, 09:40:24 PM »

i thought i would redo the crazy swede picture, but try to do in in Gaspard's style for some continuity in the portraits.

so far i think it looks terrible, but do you think i am on the right track?

Gaspard
Community member

The Blackest Heart

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: December 28, 2009, 10:24:22 PM »

Hey shevy, thanks for the feedback !  Cool I understand what you mean and this picture (and other pictures) have plenty of things that could be done better, but I posted these as such, because they're going to be exactly that - in-game portraits. (bla bla bla excuses excuses  Roll Eyes) At least for now. I guess you'll also notice that Kimmo's eyes are really blocky and the clothing is pretty damn rough.

I saw that the making of portraits has been really slow, so I just stepped up right now and whipped these up for the tech demo. Actually in the end main characters like Kimmo and Jacob etc should get cooler and more dynamic portraits !

So if you don't mind I won't polish them off any more at the time being.
Although all kinds of similar feedback is welcome.
I might go over them anyway when the mood strikes or after all the portraits for all the tech-demo characters have been prepared. Later on me or someone else could improve on them or make new ones from scratch.

comscar, try blocking in bigger shapes at first, and don't be afraid ! You can always paint over it, and if you get something you'd like to keep then just save it and you can load that version if you screw up.

Also do not worry about the skin colour so much, i play more with colds and warms, but you can just make the shadows more warm and light slightly colder, but not necessarily pink, that is actually the worst choice, it is difficult to make warm and cold pinks when you start out ,) and skin is very rarely pink.

Tonally you can go darer in darkest . You can later lighten things up, too.

EDIT: also paint over the white background, I doubt that you'löl keep a perfectly white background and it'll just hurt and tire your eyes while you work. You don't have ot make it as bright blue as you did for the Dig portrait, try toning it down, more towards a bluish grey, and everything must not be exactly that one colour. exüeriment ! it is importat to experiment if you're working on alien territory
« Last Edit: December 28, 2009, 10:26:44 PM by Gaspard » Logged
comscar
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #95 on: December 29, 2009, 03:05:44 AM »

http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/7063/crazyswedepainting.jpg

well, i tried to use more greyish and white tones and use less pink. one thing i have trouble on is trying to make the face appear 3D, but i'll work on that later
zenbitz
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: December 29, 2009, 09:32:00 PM »

I like all the paintings.  However, Kimmo has to be older - in his 50s.  Jacob could use a little graying as well.
It sure seems like we have a lot of brunettes for Finland...

We are not denying them an ending...
We are denying them a DISNEY ending - Icelus
Gaspard
Community member

The Blackest Heart

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: December 29, 2009, 10:23:52 PM »

Kimmo's also thatmuch older ? Hm, okay.

I'll be out of town for a week or so and then I should have some time to go over them - I also want to try my hand on the prostitutes  Cool

I have also thought of the brunette/blonde thing, but it's not really a rule, that blonde thing, most Finnish people aI personally know are dark-haired. They have a lot of immigrants too, if you do not count Russians and Slavic people, then we have less immigrants than the Finnish.

For example in Estonia it is a pretty rare thing to see a black person. In Helsinky I've seen dozens every time I've been there, local Finnish black people.
shevegen
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: December 29, 2009, 11:23:23 PM »

I didn't know that he was that much older but I always visualized him as quite strong, perhaps slightly thick guy, older than his younger brother and possible physically a bit of a brute.

If you dont mind, we could use that portrait above for another NPC - portraits are soooo cool.

most Finnish people aI personally know are dark-haired.

Hey anyone saw in the pirkinning?
http://www.starwreck.com/

I think the finnish people usually have quite a light skin. Other than that it seems to vary what kind of eye colour and hair colour they have heh... here four somewhat female finnish males

I am pretty sure that female is finnish, and if all of them would look like that noone would need swedish beauty queens anymore...

They have a lot of immigrants too, if you do not count Russians and Slavic people, then we have less immigrants than the Finnish.

Hehe perhaps because not many want to live in Russia these days ... Cheesy
I think the only town that really interests me is Moskva, just because it is so damn huge and embraces perma-snow ... Kaliningrad/Königsberg and Petersburg/Petrograd/Leningrad may be more beautiful but frankly Moskva kinda has this "coolness" factor ...

And I guess I would like to fly over siberia one day (but dont wanna end up walking through it ... i hate coldness)

JustinOperable
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #99 on: December 30, 2009, 05:07:55 AM »

Wow Gaspard, you really took my attempts at painterly portraits and ran with it. I am not the art director, but I am looking to do some more portraits for PARPG. So I was wondering, one thing that really helped unify the look of the Wesnoth portraits and get people involved was that Kitty posted a tutorial on how she did her portraits, and that was considered to be the style of the wesnoth portraits from then on. I think your pieces look really great and I think this is the general direction the portraits as a whole should go in. So I have a proposal, I don't know what app you use, I use gimp, but if you can post your process and how you acheive the look of your pieces, and the developers are in agreement with me that thats the direction the portraits should go, then that might help people who want to help to contribute in a style consistent with what you and to a lesser extent I have developed for the in game portraits. what do people think?

Also, I noticed your backgrounds are mostly the painterly blue strokes. Should I alter the background of the guard and drunk portraits? Also will those colors alter between locations so each location sorta feels different by having different colored strokes in the background.

EDIT: And in that spirit, here is my first attempt at a portrait more in Gaspards style. I might work on it some more, or I might leave it as is if people like it. I figured it could be used for a character that gives important info during one of the quests (being that the model is a close friend of mine, I'd prefer she not be one of the prostitutes). This is a lower quality jpg, if people like it I'll post a better resolution image. Also I'll get Ma Niity done soon so don't count me out of that one yet.

* Ula.resized.jpg (21.16 KB, 300x375 - viewed 406 times.)
« Last Edit: December 30, 2009, 01:07:08 PM by JustinOperable » Logged
maximinus
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #100 on: January 01, 2010, 01:47:51 PM »

EDIT: And in that spirit, here is my first attempt at a portrait more in Gaspards style. I might work on it some more, or I might leave it as is if people like it. I figured it could be used for a character that gives important info during one of the quests (being that the model is a close friend of mine, I'd prefer she not be one of the prostitutes). This is a lower quality jpg, if people like it I'll post a better resolution image. Also I'll get Ma Niity done soon so don't count me out of that one yet.

I like it. I like even more the idea that in future portraits will start to have a similar feel.

BTW, what do you use to produce the art-work? Is the base image resolution independent (i.e. a vector?) or at a very high resolution?

Science is open-source religion
JustinOperable
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #101 on: January 02, 2010, 01:58:17 AM »

They're bitmap images. Resolution is 1500x1250. which is about 5x4 in full 300dpi print resolution. More than enough I figured for a small portrait at screen resolution. I use Gimp.

Finished the piece I was working on and altered the guard to have a new background.

http://i329.photobucket.com/albums/l375/JustinOperable/Ula.png

http://i329.photobucket.com/albums/l375/JustinOperable/Guard-1.png

Ma is almost done, so hold tight.
shevegen
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: January 02, 2010, 04:55:32 AM »

Wheeee!

Once barra gets back he will be surprised!

Gaspard
Community member

The Blackest Heart

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: January 03, 2010, 12:13:23 AM »

HAPPY NEW YEAR, GUYS !

Hey, JustinOperable, I really like the new portrait you did ! I must say I envy your skill with tones. All you things look so damn good and accurate even when you zoom out to the in-game resolution - I can't seem to get that too well, the tones look all wrong  Lips sealed Lips sealed Lips sealed And don't worry too much about the backgrounds. Things like that might need special tweaking when we have the GUI down and the portrait resolution is fixed etc.

About any kind of tutorials or somesuch: I'm going back to school from this short holiday on the 4th (Monday) and I'm going to be UBER busy 'til the end of the month. I will try to pull a couple serious PARPG overnighters after that, with beer and coffee and more beer. and then coffee. and top it with beer. I was thinking of maybe making a video of the clumsy way I work, so I could share it. I don't have a very systematic approach to working so that could actually the best thing I could offer at the moment Sad
So good luck everyone. The fact that I'm UBER busy with schoolwork might actually mean that at one point I will just send it all to hell and make something for PARPG anyway...
shevegen
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: January 03, 2010, 01:49:36 AM »

Come to think about it, a video would be cool for showcasing AND as a tutorial.

Anyway, don't worry. Take your time. Meanwhile we try to get people to become more active again (how cool is it that maximinus is back!)

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9
Print
Jump to: